Author Topic: Camelot and Factor 5  (Read 7474 times)

Offline Armed

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2003, 04:52:05 PM »

Originally posted by: The Hero of Time
i really want a golden sun on the cube

As do i!
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2003, 04:53:32 PM »
Golden Sun would be great for the Cube, but I really want to see what else Camelot can do with the console's power. I want them to devise a new RPG series- perhaps not quite as ambitious as Golden Sun, butjust different.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2003, 12:45:50 PM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
Personally, I believe the term "second party" is fiction, a media buzzword that only exists in our heads.

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
How is it a media buzzword, ruby?

The term "second party" doesn't seem to exist anywhere except videogames. And it only came around in the late SNES days, when Nintendo hooked up with Rare.

Here's how I see it. Nintendo is the first party. They make the hardware. They make the games that play on the hardware. They make the controllers, and stuff like that. Now then, if you get tired of having a system that's "100% Nintendo", you can go to a "third party" and get some "enhancements" to mix it up and make it more interesting.

Nintendo is the first party, you're the second party (of course, the term "user" is more common), and whoever else you involve is the third party.

Rare wasn't Nintendo. So Rare was a third party. Sure, Nintendo appeared to be in charge of them and could boss them around, but at it's heart, Rare was the Stamper Brothers, not Nintendo.

The current Rare is Microsoft. They were bought up 100%, and are just a "team name" within Microsoft now, so they're part of a first party.

Silicon Knights and Retro aren't Nintendo. They've got cozy arrangements, but they're still their own bosses. So they're third parties.

Square's a third party (or should I say Square/Enix). They got up and left for Sony while Nintendo owned a chunk of them, and now they're going multi-platform while Sony owns a chunk of them.

I have no clue about the status of Hal, especially since it's founder is now the president of Nintendo. I'm kind of thinking that Hal actually "pulled a Kirby" and swallowed/absorbed Nintendo.  (>")>  (>")>  (>")>

Unlike other markets, videogame software needs third party assistance. The first parties can't cover everything. So third parties are more and more important.

When the industry started finding third parties willing to provide the first parties with serious ammunition, a reliable source of top-notch games that were console-exclusive, the first parties knew that they needed a new name for these "valued third parties", since almost every first party in the world likes to point out and make people understand that "third parties" are inferior to "first parties".

So when Nintendo hooked up with Rare and the Stampers, they coined the term (or someone else smaller used it, I can't really tell) "second party". Something halfway between a first and second party, mathamatically speaking.

Since the SNES days, people have been trying to pin down the exact meaning of "second party". The most common one I've heard is that it's a company with some degree of ownership by the first party, and an exclusivity contract. But the ownership factor is irrelevant, since we've seen a few times that anything less that 50% doesn't really count toward anything serious. And contracts are everywhere. The modern industry is built on them. We most likely don't even know about half of them, and most of us outside of Rick haven't ever seen the details of any of them.

On PS2 message boards lately I've seen another definition pop up (probably since Sony is looser with their pens and tighter with their paper shredders than any companies we've seen before, and almost all of their games are made by someone else). "Any game that's published by the first party is a game made by a second party, even if they only held that position for a short while." Is that really a bad definition? It eliminates some of the confusion. All you have to do is look for a logo on the box.

And it has the side effect of us being able to say that Square is a second party of Nintendo again, while they stopped being a Sony second party when they hooked up with EA five years ago. ^_^

Since the SNES days, we've constantly been surprised by the actions of "second parties", and asked "How can they do that? Weren't they a second party?" They do what they do because they're third parties. They're not Nintendo (or Sony, or Microsoft), they're someone else. Every second party is really a third party, and you have to look at them one-by-one to understand them and not be surprised by their actions.

People can easily say that the likes of Factor 5 and Camelot and Treasure are closer to Nintendo than some "second parties", and more deserving of the term. And since nobody can provide a dictionary definition of "second party" (aside from the occasional IGN Mailbag where someone like Fran says "I thought it was common knowlege, oh well, here's what it means") since it's exclusively used by the videogame software industry, I can't stop anyone from changing their "personal definition" of the term to include those companies.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2003, 01:01:25 PM »
Rare was essentially half Nintendo's, man. If I paid for half a house with you, you wouldn't say the house is YOURS, would you? You'd say it was *ours*. Rare wasn't Nintendo specifically, but they were in part because Nintendo owned them in part and controlled a very large portion of it. THAT'S what a second party is to me. A 3rd party is independant of anyone else while a second party still has a higher authority to answer to.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2003, 08:27:41 AM »
I think that was the shortest and coolest explanation of what a 2nd party is that I've ever heard.  Mad props to you mouse_clicker!!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2003, 08:36:04 AM »
ruby_onix, remember that Nintendo did go on to buy out the rest of Retro Studios. They own 100% of them now, like MS owns 100% of Rare. So Retro is a first party, according to your rules.

As for SK, last we officially heard Nintendo owned most but not all of them, but by the way it's going and what Denis Dyack has said in interviews, it seems SK is going to stay at Nintendo...

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2003, 08:41:16 AM »
Despite less than stellar sales for Eternal Darkness, Silicon Knights is sticking with it almost simply b/c they love the Big N.  Yeah I agree with you on that Retro Studios thing.. last I heard and this was after the big purchase they were still being referred to as a 2nd party.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2003, 10:31:44 AM »
DBZ Fans...Doesnt Kirby Remind you of Majin Buu?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2003, 10:43:08 AM »
I'm not a DBZ fan...but the closest I can think of to Kirby is Jigglypuff.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2003, 01:20:20 PM »
ThePerm: I've never really noticed the similarities, btu now that you mention it, Buu and Kirby are quite alike. They're both innocent looking pink, chubby puff balls that can absorb the power of their foes. Interesting.

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2003, 02:40:37 AM »
Yeah they are alike in those aspects.  Interestingly enough in the cartoon Kirby was actually created as one of those monsters to assist King DeeDeeDee but for some unknown reason he was different and escaped being a monster for sale.  So in a way he is like Boo in that he was sort of a bad guy but is in the end really a hero.  They both have really high pitched voices too.  Um.. but don't you guys think we've gone a bit off topic lol....  

Offline egman

• View Profile
Camelot and Factor 5
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2003, 03:11:47 AM »
I hope Nintendo keeps these guys happy, particularily Factor 5. In the recent EGM with the Rebel Strike preview, the final part of the interview mentioned how GC is not doing so hot.  The inteviewer asked Julian what he thought of that. While Julian loves Nintendo and also realizes that he can still do good on Nintendo systems (he cites the success of RS on the N64 during it's dark days), he does not deny that his company could go elsewhere if things get so bad that they can no longer enjoy that success.

I don't suggest N buy them out or in part, but I hope they continue get closer to them in ways like contributed development capital or letting them get involve in their console like they did the GC.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2003, 10:27:58 AM »
Yeah I read that too...but hey, at least they won't go to the PS2. They've never even seemed to consider that...too weak...too hard to program for...
But at least we won't ever see Rebel Strike on Xbox. They definately conclude that at the end of the article...