Author Topic: Metroid Prime rants and praises thread  (Read 2128 times)

Offline LordVagabond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime rants and praises thread
« on: May 11, 2003, 09:57:45 AM »
Good god this game rocks. I have an XBOX as well, and I have to say MP is on par with if not slightly better than Halo. Of course, Halo 2 is going to blow everything out of the water, but that's a given.

But for the time being, any rants or praises about Metroid Prime, I wanna hear 'em!!! ^__^

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 10:04:26 AM »

Originally posted by: LordVagabond
Of course, Halo 2 is going to blow everything out of the water, but that's a given.

That's the hype talking, my friend.  In the Big Picture, Halo 2 is just another FPS game that can be easily dwarfed by any number of FPS shooters that are currently and will be on the PC.

But to keep with the topic, I have to agree with you 110%, Metroid Prime is a classic in my book.  I wouldn't know where to begin praising it; the music, the gameplay, the environments, the enemies and bosses -- they're all good and memorable!  The best part of the game, IMO, is the ability to scan everything in sight -- learning about the environment around you makes the game more... personal... than it would if you just tromped around shooting everything in sight, which isn't a part of the Samus equation.

Damn, now I wanna play through the game again on Hard Mode!!  
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime rants and praises thread
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 10:16:50 AM »
almost sounds like flame bait to me but ohwell not my job to decide

you cant really compare metroid prime to halo, they are in the first person, you shoot things, thats where the similarities end, you can avoid shooting most things if you want in metroid (and i assume most would as its faster, mainly while back tracking ofcourse)

having said that, the biggest praise i could give Metroid Prime is, its captured the essence of Super Metroid and crammed it in 3D

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 10:45:48 AM »
As for Halo 2 rocking...I don't have an Xbox, but I enjoyed Halo. I thought the multiplayer had lots of potential, but the lack of bots really really hurt it. On the other hand, I'm actually excited about Halo 2 a lot. I mean, it will be what Halo should've been. The online multiplayer will be soooo much fun...I mean come on, they're not going to screw it up. What they have in Halo already is good enough for me, just put it online.

As for Metroid Prime, I loved it. I wish the enemies would be harder/smarter though. Well ok, the first time you fought Space Pirates at Phendrana it was great cause they could actually damage you and you couldn't take em out in two seconds with the Plasma Beam. And the first time you went through the Phazon Minds and fought Troopers it was pretty hard...But hey, at the level of strength you are at the end of the game, you can walk through the mines and annihilate everything on site. I guess their hit points are fine...but do we really need every suit upgrade to lessen the amount of damage Samus takes? I think the extra energy tanks should be enough..I guess you could make the enemies a lot smarter too. They need to work in teams and act...well smart. And interact with each other, like the enemies in Zelda. For example, when Moblins accidentally hit each other they look at the guy they hit and their face obviously says "Whoops!". I mean, wouldn't it be cool if the Space Pirates looked at each other and said stuff in that growling language durring battles? It would make it a lot more interesting...Oh well, should be in Metroid 6...

Offline LordVagabond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 11:51:19 AM »
Another thing I love about MP is that if you have played through Metroid Fusion on the GBA, then you can play the original NES Metroid on the GameCube... it's a minor thing, but I think it's really nifty to have the classic with the new... I personally don't have a GBA, but my buddy does and since I got the WindWaker/Ocarina of Time/Master Quest bundle pack, I got a free GBA/GCN cable ^_^

Another thing I love about MP is that while the music sounds DVD quality, it's actually MIDI. I mean, that is the best damned MIDI music I've ever heard!!

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 12:00:50 PM »

Originally posted by: LordVagabond
Another thing I love about MP is that if you have played through Metroid Fusion on the GBA, then you can play the original NES Metroid on the GameCube... it's a minor thing, but I think it's really nifty to have the classic with the new... I personally don't have a GBA, but my buddy does and since I got the WindWaker/Ocarina of Time/Master Quest bundle pack, I got a free GBA/GCN cable ^_^

True!! I totally forgot about that feature!!  Playing the original Metroid was great, especially since I never owned the NES game.  Playing that old-school game always reminds me just how hard games were back then.

Another thing I love about MP is that while the music sounds DVD quality, it's actually MIDI. I mean, that is the best damned MIDI music I've ever heard!!

Yeah, I remember reading about that.  That still amazes me, that Nintendo managed to use MIDI technology and create some of the most realistic-sounding music ever.  Nintendo R&D = miracle workers.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 12:17:47 PM »
Actually you have Factor 5's GCN MuseX technology to thank for that....But yeah Intelligent System's composer Kenji Yamamoto still did a great job on the music. The 5 minute credits song (a remix of the main menu theme) is totally amazing.  

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 02:20:34 PM »
Halo 2 will be awe-inspiring indeed.

But don't compare Halo to Metroid Prime.  Both are different in their styles.  You should know that if you played both games.

Anyway, Prime's great. I'm replaying it as of now to completely finish the log book.  Last time I played the game, I had the log book complete EXCEPT for one entry...the Ice Shriekbat...which is gone forever after you killed it.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.