Author Topic: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale  (Read 1626 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:15 AM »
Anybody else grabbed this recently translated  japanese indie game? It casts you as squeaky moe blob Recette who has to work off the debt her father left her by running an item store in a typical RPG world. Most of the money is made by haggling, kinda like Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland but with a base price shown and some guidance for how much you should go above/below that. Generally if your sell-to-buy-price ratio is similar to GameStop's you're doing it right. It's not all economy though, you can hire adventurers (unlike Tingle there's no price haggling here) to go dungeon crawling with. It's an action RPG with mechanics similar to 2D Zelda combat then. You have to make regular debt payments and if you fail it's game over. You don't HAVE to reload an old save, while you lose your money and story progress all items you own and all adventurer levels and equipment remain so you can rush through the early stages Dead Rising style. Work your way up to defeat the big evil: A large retail chain!

The translation is good and funny, the game's not all that serious overall.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
I thought it looked utterly forgettable, but now it sounds interesting.  I shouldn't have judged it by its cover, or title.  I might have gone for it if I hadn't missed the pre-release discount on Steam. :-\

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
It was just 10%, not much really.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:27:51 AM »
I recently snagged this on a Steam sale and I really like it. I've always wanted doujin (self-published) games to come out translated legally so I can support the neat and weird stuff they do.