Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 265779 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »
exactly, if you're expecting 4-5GB games to be the norm, then why would you want this to be a download only system?
how many people have internet capable of downloading that faster than 3-4 or more hours until they can play it?
especially on a portable with unstable and shared wifi at best as you move around the city. you'll never get the game you just bought unless you find a kiosk and use a blank media or just buy the game already installed on a card.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »
oopsie :)
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »
oh wow, this thing gets worse and worse
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
Playstation Phone is official labeled Xperia Play
 http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/sonys-playstation-phone-xperia-play-caught-hanging-out-with-a/

pics at the link.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »
I wonder if Sony will wise-up and not allow any type of PSP2-PS3 connectivity, then again, that could be awesome to have such an (allegedly) awesome handheld hacked so easily.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »
They are probably using the same security measures in the new PSP that are in the PS3.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »
The PSP2's encryption key should be a random number like the number 9. The number 4 would be too obvious.

This message has been brought to you by the number 9.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2011, 02:23:19 AM »
Rumored Spec Leak for PSP Phone Xperia Play Phone
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/sonys-playstation-phone-gets-in-depth-preview-in-china-playsta/
Well, that was quick. It was just two days ago when the elusive PlayStation Phone popped up on a Hong Kong forum, and now it's back again in full exposure thanks to Chinese website IT168. It's now confirmed that said Xperia-branded device is powered by a Qualcomm Adreno 205 GPU, along with what's likely to be a 1GHz Snapdragon QSD8255 as featured on the HTC Desire HD. Interestingly, Neocore is reporting an impressive 59.1fps benchmark, which is a huge improvement from our exclusive look back in early December. Quadrant also reports a high score of 1,733, but hey, there's no saying that this is the final build, so the graphics performance may get even better.

Other tidbits found in the latest leak include the generous battery capacity of 1,500mAh, the 854 x 480 resolution on a 4-inch LCD, a 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash sans 720p video recording (although it's probably just that the leaksters didn't look in all the submenu in the camera app), 512MB RAM, 512MB ROM, a microSD slot, SIM slot, micro-USB, and a second mic on the back for active noise cancellation à la Nexus One. Interestingly, the still-empty game launcher app is now called "PlayStation Pocket." We're still unclear just what the app will run.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2011, 03:31:27 AM »
The PSP2 is going to a BEAST! No wonder they're having trouble balancing power, heat, and battery drain.

Kaz Hirai again made mention of Playstation and tablet in terms of future Sony strategy. It may be possible the PSPTablet is a device we haven't seen yet, and Sony is approaching gaming from all directions.

The PSPhone having a 1Ghz CPU, 512MB of RAM and ROM, and separate GPU? That puts it in the lead (right now, because dual core CPUs are soon to come) for phones and makes it a serious gaming device.

I'm excited for the tablet idea becuase I imagine it would have some sort slide out or folding gaming pad or keyboard (I forget who it was, but someone has a prototype dual screen gaming device where the bottom screen has raised keys that can be changed according to need, not saying PSPtablet will have that exactly, but some sort of attached gaming touch screen wouldn't be too far fetched) but I refuse to buy a tablet until it can make phone calls over 3G/4G, thus replacing my cell phone, unless of course the 3DS can do it...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42498/PSP2-announcement-on-Jan-27th
Sony is on the verge of finally announcing new handheld, MCV sources have confirmed

The industry will finally find out what form the PSP2 will take at a press event in Tokyo on January 27th, trade sources have confirmed to MCV.
Claims emerging this morning about an impending reveal for the long-rumoured PSP2 are true.

Publishers were informed late last year of the plans, with some of Sony's biggest parties already at work on titles for the high-specced device.
The date of the reveal itself is just the beginning, however.

This Friday's copy of MCV magazine has some exclusive industry insight - some of which will come as a huge surprise. Check back for the full story on MCVuk.com.

Mark your calendars, 3DS vs PSP2 in the ring January 27th 2011. Get your tickets today.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
It's a tra... gaming tablet, or mobile gaming PC if you prefer, that will record, display, and output 1080p video.

Honestly though, if the PSP2 is a gaming tablet that also makes calls (and more importantly has its initial price subsidized by wireless carriers) I will buy it.

Edit: This could be the first time that the PSP actually competes with the DS outside of Japan, if it is feature rich, and those features are practical.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:32:15 PM by MaryJane »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
PSP2 has want gamers want.

$600 please.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
PSP2 has want gamers want.

$600 please.

If the PSP2 is indeed going to have everything that it's rumored to I wouldn't be surprised if it is $600.  There's no way Sony can release a system that will be as powerful and with the features it's said to have and with a battery that can at least be 3-5 hours long without it being that expensive.

Either that or they release it for $300 to compete with the 3DS and take a loss of $300 per system, which will end up hurting them just as bad.  Espically since nobody outside of Japan even bought games for the first PSP which makes me wonder what Sony thinks they'll make their money back since the software sales sure as hell aren't going to help them.  Unless they have Monster Hunter 4 ready for Japan at launch and they hope it sells over 10 million copies to offset the losses for the rest of the world.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »
That's why making it a phone makes sense. The high end iPhone's unsubsidized price is $600, but it's $300 with a 2 year contract. Over time, the PSP2's price will come down, but it will stay afloat early on because of those subsidies.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
Who the heck buys $40 games for a PHABLET?

The other option is Sony surprises EVERYBUDAY with a sanely-priced game machine that's well below everyone's expectations.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
Well with both the PSPhone and potential PSPTablet, Sony has the opportunity to make/let others make cheap "App Store" games, and still make more full fledged games, just like the consoles do, and Nintendo does with DSi/3DSware.

And like the PSPhone, PSPTablet, games could be download only. Yes it may upset retailers, but it would make Sony more money, which I think they would be far more concerned with.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
Yeah, but some retailers refused to even carry the PSP Go because it was download only. If fewer retailers carry the system, then that hurts sales.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
Too bad Sony can't digitally distribute physical hardware.

laugh out lard

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »
Maybe Sony will create the first ever Brick & Mortar Online Store.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
I just want to know the price of this device.  Honestly, the 3DS is too expensive, but this thing sounds like it is going to be like $400.00 + dollars if all the rumors are true...or even half true.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2011, 01:38:55 AM »
Sony has sold at a loss with both PSP and PS3. Nintendo marks their hardware up, even admitting as much with 3DS. Sony could theoretically match 3DS in price and make Nintendo look really bad. Of course, launching first means Nintendo always has the option of dropping the price as a reactionary measure, even to the dismay of early adopters. Still, will Nintendo even need to? 3DS is going to slaughter PSP2. Sony just doesn't get it. No one really wants a portable PS3. Development costs have risen in the so-called HD era and Sony is asking developers to make those same kinds of games for hardware 3rd parties know will be less popular than Nintendo's juggernaut. If Sony was smart, they would have just released something slightly more powerful than 3DS so games cane easily be ported and undercut Nintendo's wholly ridiculous pricing. Maybe then they'd have a chance.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2011, 03:20:27 AM »
The other thing I'd add is Sony should not be calling the PSP2, the PSP2 if they really want it to succeed.  Well maybe in Japan they can get away with it but in North America and Europe they really need to call it something different.  In America and Europe the PSP is a failure, and so calling it's successor the PSP2 is not a good idea because the name PSP only reminds people of a system they didn't care for.

There's a reason the DS was called Nintendo DS and not Gameboy DS, because if it failed Nintendo didn't want it's failure hurting their entire handheld brand name.  Of course when the DS ended up becoming more popular then any Gameboy, the name Nintendo DS is now the face of Nintendo handhelds which is why it's successor is the Nintendo 3DS.  Sony has to realize the PSP is a failed system and the name PSP is toxic and will only hurt any future systems.  The fact that they have no problem calling the system the PSP2 show just how incompetent Sony is right now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:05 AM »
The fact that they have no problem calling the system the PSP2 show just how incompetent Sony is right now.

To be fair, they haven't technically confirmed the system exists yet, and thus haven't committed to a name. We're referring to it as the PSP2 in the same way that we'd call the next Nintendo console the Wii 2; it's just a placeholder.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2011, 04:16:10 AM »

To be fair, they haven't technically confirmed the system exists yet, and thus haven't committed to a name. We're referring to it as the PSP2 in the same way that we'd call the next Nintendo console the Wii 2; it's just a placeholder.

I thought one of the leaks say Sony has been calling it the PSP2 when talking to developers about it?  I guess that could just be it's development name then like Dolphin and Revolution.  Oh, looks like Sony might be smarter then I thought then.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2011, 04:31:41 AM »
Chances are that they will call it PSP2 without having ever thought to do anything different.
Some of you may see the PSP as a failure, but it is still the #1 best selling handheld gaming system that wasn't made by Nintendo and has out sold Nintendo next best competitor by a very wide margin.

The DS may have outsold the PSP by more than 2 to 1, but to even have sold a 1/3 what the DS has(over 130mill)  is a major accomplishment that no other handheld gaming device has come close to doing.

The PSP brand is something to build on and improve, not abandon completely and attempt to start over. It's part of the Playstation Family and to consider the PSP a complete and utter failure that should see it's successor get an unrelating name change would mean you also think the PS4 shouldn't be named anything PlayStation.