Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 266746 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:21 AM »
Wii is more awesome than ever.  Played Wii Sports Resort during Easter.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
The last time Sony quickly "added" something, we got the Sixaxis.

Sony practically tripped over themselves in their race to add dual analog sticks to their old PS1 controllers. We're still stuck with that design to this day, but its not the most ergonomic or anything. Its just something they could slap together in a hurry.

As for the PSP2, I don't doubt they can slap in a 3D screen in a hurry. The launch games probably won't be able to make use of it, but they might want it in so they can keep up with whatever Nintendo is doing. At Sony, copying Nintendo seems to be the name of the game. That said, it may have been a mistake for Nintendo to reveal their system's 3D capabilities. They should have waited until like 1 month before it launched before offering any details because they should know by now Sony is going to just rip it off.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2010, 04:09:01 PM »
Sharp was gonna announce the Screens and Nintendo wanted to get the Buzz from that announcement and beat them to the punch(news hounds were about to leak the story anyway). It was also time for another quarterly investor meeting and the 3DS announcement saw Nintendo stock jump 10% that day.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2010, 10:17:17 PM »
But would be that difficult to re-render game graphics into 3D if a game is close to done.  This isn't like film where you need to shoot the people the correct way to properly apply the 3D effects.  I think it is very possible to add 3D to the PSP2.  Now, we all know why Nintendo had to do it, with a possible news leak.

I just feel this can't be the only thing Nintendo is doing...or there is much more to it than that simple element. 

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
Sony will probably release a teaser for the PSP 2 like Nintendo did with the 3DS in order to counter balance the hyper generated by Nintendo's new handheld.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
Sony won't say a peep about PSP2 until E3. They need to make sure they have a tight package at reveal and no leaks to ruin the surprise.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony only shows some prototyped hardware(a 3DS spoiler with specs promised to be out of this world) with a rough release day of maybe sometime this year, but Sony will show something.

Will PSP2 be anything like what they show @ E3? only time will tell, but they will try to rain on Nintendo's parade now that they sorta know what's coming.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
There must be something else in it that we haven't even thought of.  Nintendo knows that Sony is an electronics company first and foremost, so it would be easy for them to throw a 3D screen in a hurry. They also know that Sony have absolutely no shame in ripping tech right off Nintendo.

I have a feeling that come E3, Nintendo will have one hell of a curveball lined up that will catch everyone with their pants down (see Wii).  I am probably wrong, but they have done it before, so there isn't really a reason they wouldn't do it again.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »
im sure that's what Iwata loves to do :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
I have a feeling that come E3, Nintendo will have one hell of a curveball lined up that will catch everyone with their pants down (see Wii). 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm just immature enough to find that hilaaaarious!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 04:34:31 AM »
Ok.  I didn't have that in mind when I wrote it.  But it does work very well doesn't it?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
Sometimes the funniest jokes are the unintentional ones.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:12 PM »
Well being an PSP owner, the main thing they have to fix is controls--you need a dual analog stick.  If they just add that I'll be happy. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »
Well being an PSP owner, the main thing they have to fix is controls--you need a dual analog stick.  If they just add that I'll be happy.
Dude, just get a PS3. :)

Seriously, I think I'm in the minority of people who didn't miss the second analog stick too much. The best game on the system is arguably God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ready at Dawn successfully took a franchise that utilized every single button on a Dual Shock 2 and put it on PSP. I guess I wouldn't mind a second analog stick, but I feel like developers can take most kinds of games and put them on PSP without losing too much in the translation.... if they try hard enough.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
That's just one game though, try playing a decent PSP shooter.  But yeah loved GoW too and I still can't figure out why Sony didn't follow up with another one.  Instead the went with Jak & Dexter?  Strange.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
In my experience, dual analog sticks are only really needed for FPS games.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2010, 06:15:36 PM »
Could Sony have a supplier for 3D screens for PSP2?

Hitachi announces no glasses 3D screens that work in 2D & 3D mode

source article in Japanese
Quote from: translated by Mandoric@NeoGAF
The new LCD panel consists of two LCD panel layers, with the different perspectives of the left and right eye creating a 3d image. SHARP uses the same technique. By changing the form of the liquid crystals which block light, Hitachi Displays creates a feeling of true 3d.
By increasing brightness over previous products, the previous weakness of 3D--screen darkness--has been solved.
It also functions in 2d mode.
It is expected to enter production at their panel plant in Mobara, Chiba in 2010.

I think it would be silly to not think that Sony is doing all they can to get 3D into the PSP2 despite recent comments about not being interested in 3D on a portable platform at this time.

This may not be Sony's solution provider since Hitachi and Sharp are the 2 providers of Nitnendo's LCD's but it's possible.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:23:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »
PSP  2 – the big E3 surprise?
Publishers significantly ramp up marketing plans for Sony handheld for  this Q4

We already have a fair idea what to expect at next month’s E3 –  plenty of into about Move, Natal and the 3DS  (and Vitality  Sensor) for instance – but Sony could perhaps be saving the biggest  surprise of all.

MCV has been informed of a significant increase  in marketing spend at two key publishers for Q4 2010. At a time when the  PSP is languishing in Western markets – and its most recent iteration,  the PSPgo, is falling  flat – it is being speculated that publishers are laying the ground  for an offensive on a brand new iteration of Sony’s handheld.

Another publisher has also told MCV that it  is waiting on a specific announcement from the platform holder before  it can reveal of its future PSP plans until, though it did allude to the  ongoing development of several unnamed titles behind closed doors.

I'm gonna guess that it will have a bigger than 3DS(same size as bookmode?) OLED screen and PSPgo form factor (slide out controls).

Sony needs a PSP2, but their plate is already kinda full this year with pushing 3D update in the PS3, MOVE with all of it's expenses, the new PS3 Move bundle & speculated non bundle price drop. Can Sony really expect all their supporters to also put down on a new PSP within the same time frame (which I assume to be this holiday season)?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
I bet dollars to donuts that the PSP will have some functionality that they can call 3D.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »
3D Wireless Downloads!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
OLED screen

They're still a bit on the expensive side, so I wouldn't put too much faith on the PSP2 having one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
OLED screen
They're still a bit on the expensive side, so I wouldn't put too much faith on the PSP2 having one.
Seriously? If anything, that's why I'd expect PSP2 having one. This is the same Sony that released a $600 because it had to have a Blu-Ray player. If you want to use the argument that Sony was trying to help the format (and, in that way, they succeeded), so be it. This is the same Sony that sacrificed battery life in a handheld system in order to get near PS2-level performance. Point being, Sony doesn't have a damn clue what the f*ck they are doing. Don't get me wrong, I love my PSP. I think it's a nice home console. Yeah, you read that right.... At the end of the day, it has some great games, even if the system itself is littered with boneheaded design choices.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »
PSP2 playing Bluray disks sounds like something Sony would do.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 01:08:18 AM »
and pointless considering how small the screen is.

House of Flying Daggers UMD best thing on PSP
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
What would an OLED screen allow that an LED/LCD screen couldn't?  Would there be any worthwhile benefit?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »
Sony wants to push the tech like the did with Bluray.

OLED is still expensive only because it's not being mass-produced in a widespread consumer product.

I also believe OLED can be made really really thin, use less electricity and can be made to be flexible. But I might be confusing that with something else.