Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 171166 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's new RPG "The Last Story" coming to Wii in Japan in 2011
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »
The Famitsu review of Last Story is a 38 out of 40. Not a bad score, but I was hoping a perfect score.

http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-last-story-valkyria

Sorry, but you need to pay Famitsu good money to get that perfect score.  They have a reputation to maintain, after all!

And the price for RPG scores is higher than normal it seems since they usually rate lower than other kinds of games. IIRC Tales of Symphonia got a 34/40.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
Add another nail to the coffin that is The Last Story ever leaving Japan, at least this year: Nintendo UK has stated that the game is just too much for their localization teams to handle, between the necessity of multiple languages and the upcoming 3DS.  They also imply that the game doesn't look like an especially viable product.  This and the comment on having to deal with the 3DS makes me think we'll see a similar answer from the puppet entity known as Nintendo of America: 3DS is Nintendo's message this year, and they don't have the time, manpower, or financial interest to do anything else.

You may now resume your hysterics, Kytim.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:01:05 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
Yeah, but Nintendo of America would only need to translate into English. It does suck that at the very least Europe may not get it because of the language issue. I am starting to lose faith North America will get it either though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
Add another nail to the coffin that is The Last Story ever leaving Japan, at least this year: Nintendo UK has stated that the game is just too much for their localization teams to handle, between the necessity of multiple languages and the upcoming 3DS.  They also imply that the game doesn't look like an especially viable product.  This and the comment on having to deal with the 3DS makes me think we'll see a similar answer from the puppet entity known as Nintendo of America: 3DS is Nintendo's message this year, and they don't have the time, manpower, or financial interest to do anything else.

You may now resume your hysterics, Kytim.   ;)

*Jumps out of a ten story window*
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
Yeah, but Nintendo of America would only need to translate into English. It does suck that at the very least Europe may not get it because of the language issue. I am starting to lose faith North America will get it either though.

Like I said, the big problem is that this is a game from a niche genre with localization issues launching in the same window as something Nintendo cares a whole lot more about and would make a lot more money: the 3DS.  I have a nasty feeling that the 3DS is going to divert so much of Nintendo's attention away from potential Wii projects that by the time they start to consider localizing the game, it will be too late and the Wii's time will have passed.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »
What? They're too busy working on Ocarina of Time and Star Fox to TRANSLATE WORDS?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
What? They're too busy working on Ocarina of Time and Star Fox to TRANSLATE WORDS?

Well, as you might have noticed in the link I gave, Nintendo UK's quite busy trying to translate the massive amount of dialogue and text in Kirby's Epic Yarn.  And hey, $40 ports of 12 year old games don't localize themselves.   ::)

In all seriousness, Zelda: Skyward Sword is probably something of a localization mess for Nintendo right now as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if Treehouse was so busy trying to get Zelda out the door that they just didn't have the resources to tackle something like Last Story.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:23:56 PM by broodwars »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
Someone should take their moneypit swim time away until their grades improve.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

Well, as you might have noticed in the link I gave, Nintendo UK's quite busy trying to translate the massive amount of dialogue and text in Kirby's Epic Yarn.  And hey, $40 ports of 12 year old games don't localize themselves.   ::)

In all seriousness, Zelda: Skyward Sword is probably something of a localization mess for Nintendo right now as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if Treehouse was so busy trying to get Zelda out the door that they just didn't have the resources to tackle something like Last Story.

They do not even have to hire English voice actos, they can just have English text and Japanese voice actors like Muramasa did when it was released.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »
*Breaks into tears*

Here is a new video:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/32610

Is that Ganon at 4:20?

Check out this video and you will see the reason why you would want this game.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/32610

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2011, 01:24:10 AM »

I can buy this, but at the same time Nintendo can still turn to the equally-awesome 8-4 to do the translation.  They've leaned on them to do big games in the past, so unless 8-4 is also tied up with something (quite possible) there should be enough localization resources to go around for both.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2011, 02:32:34 AM »
I can buy this, but at the same time Nintendo can still turn to the equally-awesome 8-4 to do the translation.  They've leaned on them to do big games in the past, so unless 8-4 is also tied up with something (quite possible) there should be enough localization resources to go around for both.

Yep, NOA used 8-4 to translate Baten Kaitos Origins.  This is important for everyone to remember since Baten Kaitos Origins was never released in Europe.  So just because NOE has no plans to release The Last Story doesn't mean NOA won't since NOA has released RPG's in the past that NOE didn't.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2011, 09:04:59 AM »

They won't translate the voice acting for other languages so that effort is reduced. Also there's reason enough to believe that the game will sell at least a few hundred k in Europe which would justify spending millions on the translation.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Everyone, let's pull our monry into a dummy bank account and pay for the localization of this game ourselves. I pledge $100, how much will everyone eled pledge?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
Everyone, let's pull our monry into a dummy bank account and pay for the localization of this game ourselves. I pledge $100, how much will everyone eled pledge?

Let's see, in my pocket I currently have some pocket lint and an old, stale lollipop.  So...put me in for some pocket lint!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »

Let's see, in my pocket I currently have some pocket lint and an old, stale lollipop.  So...put me in for some pocket lint!

We still have about a million left to put into the pool.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »

Yep, NOA used 8-4 to translate Baten Kaitos Origins.  This is important for everyone to remember since Baten Kaitos Origins was never released in Europe.  So just because NOE has no plans to release The Last Story doesn't mean NOA won't since NOA has released RPG's in the past that NOE didn't.

That's a shame, I really like Origins.

ANYWAY: Mistwalker is continuing to tweet about Last Story in English.

Read into that what you will.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
I've never heard of 8-4, what else have they done?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »

I have the perfect Dummy bank account.

Mine. so I can set up Pay Pal or you can send me a check, and I will hold all the money until we reach, what was it? a Million. so $1 Million dollars, and then we can spend that on localization and credit it with spacial thanks to Kytim (we will use your real name) and everyone else that donates.

Please inquire further through PM though.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »

I have the perfect Dummy bank account.

Mine. so I can set up Pay Pal or you can send me a check, and I will hold all the money until we reach, what was it? a Million. so $1 Million dollars, and then we can spend that on localization and credit it with spacial thanks to Kytim (we will use your real name) and everyone else that donates.

Please inquire further through PM though.

As long as there is no misapropriations on your part or anyone else's then I am cool with it. ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
Hope is not lost outside of Japan for The Last Story, at least not according to Nintendo France
http://www.livewii.fr/news/153869-The_Last_Story_et_l'Europe_:_no_stress_[MAJ]
All that to say that the French division spoke tonight on the forum Gamekult to clarify the situation:
"Thank you for your interest in The Last Story. Unfortunately, the vocabulary used by this announcement was misconstrued by the British journalists:" No plans at the moment "does not mean that the output is canceled, just that it is not yet scheduled in the calendar. The adaptation of this game could be very long (12 000 dialogues to record!) and our translation teams are overstretched in the short term. "

So while they have no plans at the moment, does not mean they do not intend to do it at some point. So don't expect to see it anytime soon anywhere outside of Japan if no one has even started the translation process some time ago.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »
Hope is not lost outside of Japan for The Last Story, at least not according to Nintendo France
http://www.livewii.fr/news/153869-The_Last_Story_et_l'Europe_:_no_stress_[MAJ]
All that to say that the French division spoke tonight on the forum Gamekult to clarify the situation:
"Thank you for your interest in The Last Story. Unfortunately, the vocabulary used by this announcement was misconstrued by the British journalists:" No plans at the moment "does not mean that the output is canceled, just that it is not yet scheduled in the calendar. The adaptation of this game could be very long (12 000 dialogues to record!) and our translation teams are overstretched in the short term. "

So while they have no plans at the moment, does not mean they do not intend to do it at some point. So don't expect to see it anytime soon anywhere outside of Japan if no one has even started the translation process some time ago.

So in other words, they basically said what I said in my original post: it's a difficult game to localize and their localization teams are too busy with 3DS and what games are already out and penciled in for Europe.  It doesn't mean it can't get localized, but that they have no plans for it in the foreseeable future.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
I've never heard of 8-4, what else have they done?

Gameography

Notable titles include Monster Hunter Tri, Glory of Heracles, and Baten Kaitos Origins.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »
Ted Woolsey translated all of Chrono Trigger in roughly 30 days and said he would have preferred 2.5 months. Point being, one man translated one of the largest RPGs of its time in about a month. Zelda games typically have far less dialogue and text than most other RPGs so I don't think translating that game is really holding anything up. That said, I guess I just don't buy that a company as large as Nintendo of America couldn't put together a team of like 3 people to translate The Last Story. The only hold up would be NOA flat-out just kicking The Last Story to the curb. If they want the game out, they would make it happen, probably as early as Q3 this year.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
It's not translating that is the problem, it's the voice acting. That requires much more than 1-3 people.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast