Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615400 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1350 on: January 30, 2011, 11:41:43 PM »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: January 31, 2011, 12:58:56 AM »
I heared that was a good game. You should try out The Legend of Zelda: The Last Gaurdian as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 31, 2011, 01:46:28 AM »
I heared that was a good game. You should try out The Legend of Zelda: The Last Gaurdian as well.

o m g
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 01, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »

I'm waiting for the wii zapper follow up, The Legend of Zelda: Link's BFG Training.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 02, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »

I'm waiting for the wii zapper follow up, The Legend of Zelda: Link's BFG Training.

Nintendo needs to let Miyamoto do that Terminator-inspired Zelda game he's been dreaming of for the past decade No they don't.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
So lets talk about Zelda! Graphics and character designs are awesome! Those Moblins and Stalfos look great! One thing that I think I am seeing is that the enemies have life in them again like in WW, I hope they react to different weapons again. Links movements look allot more fluid as well. Too bad no flying elements were shown.

Seems we'll have certan puzzles that involve fitting object A into hole B appropriately. I know we've seen it before but this is a bit more Zack and Wiki, in that you have to use your hand to twist and turn it just right to fit the piece. Would be cool if we had to put object A together first.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:55:01 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 02, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
Skyward Sword just has the Zelda look down perfect.  It doesn't look like a damn cartoon and it doesn't look like all super serious either.  It looks like if you brought A Link to the Past into 3D and is that not how Zelda should look?  The Wind Waker fans would always try to sell me on that look being more accurate to the original 2D games and I always felt they were full of crap.  I just did not see the connection at all.  But THIS looks right.  Hopefully Nintendo has now found the ideal look that will satisify both camps and this just won't be an issue anymore.

Looking at the trailer I was just getting that exciting "YEAH ZELDA!!" feeling.  Right now I feel pumped as I write this.  It reminds me of why I ever became a Nintendo fan in the first place.  I've had friendships where at times things were rocky but then there would be little moments where it was like old times and I'm reminded why we became friends in the first place.  My fandom of Nintendo has been VERY rocky this generation.  But right now I'm excited about Zelda.  It's a little moment that shows the potential for Nintendo to connect with me as a gamer.  They have the ability to make videogame magic when they want to.

But as pumped as I feel, I cannot hide this feeling in the back of my head: "please don't control like crap."  With the control scheme they're going for the potential to have an unplayable mess is very high.  And what an utter waste that would be; to have a great game locked behind poor controls.  If there was ever a time for Nintendo to sell me on motion control THIS IS IT.  After all the talk about new standards and the future of videogames, and after delivering nothing but waggle and glorified mini-game collections, this is the game where they have to show that this ain't a marketing gimmick and it ain't all hype.  Like how Super Mario 64 proved the concept of the analog stick, this has to prove the concept of Motion+ and motion control in general.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 02, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Well, I've seen the trailer now, and yeah it looks an awful lot like a Zelda trailer.  It strikes me just how unaffected I am from it.  The game looks fine graphically and the combat looks like Nintendo's finally taking the Wii Motion Plus seriously (too much in some cases, as there are some things in that trailer that look like they only exist to be hit with Wii Motion Plus sword techniques), but there really isn't anything in that trailer that made me stop and go "Man, I can't wait to do THAT!!!  That's so cool!"  Either Nintendo's still holding the coolest aspects of the game to release at a later date (highly likely), or this is again just a Motion Plus iteration on Ocarina of Time.   :-\

I hope we see more trailers with more new features in the near future.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1358 on: March 02, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
In case anybody missed it here is the trailer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TojcKpf4Nqs
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 02, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
Well, I've seen the trailer now, and yeah it looks an awful lot like a Zelda trailer.  It strikes me just how unaffected I am from it.  The game looks fine graphically and the combat looks like Nintendo's finally taking the Wii Motion Plus seriously (too much in some cases, as there are some things in that trailer that look like they only exist to be hit with Wii Motion Plus sword techniques), but there really isn't anything in that trailer that made me stop and go "Man, I can't wait to do THAT!!!  That's so cool!"  Either Nintendo's still holding the coolest aspects of the game to release at a later date (highly likely), or this is again just a Motion Plus iteration on Ocarina of Time.   :-\

I hope we see more trailers with more new features in the near future.

^That is what I think most of us are worried about. Again I bring Galaxy 2 up, aside from Yoshi, one could barely tell the difference between the first and the second.  As the real media from the game came out I decided to not look at almost any of it. So when I got the game red hot chilly pepper sprints, toungue whipping aireals, Cloud jumping with long jumps, that boulder, or all those blarges in melty monster gave me such a thrill that was totally unexpected! I was literally shouting "yahoo!" after every star until some started to get rediculously difficult.

My point being that this was specifically stated to be a combat trailer. And it looks like it works, and if its better than what I played at E3 I am totally sold. It's just with very little other actions being shown, story elements or new items we can only assume its going to take a typical Zelda route.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 02, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
I like the sword play in that trailer.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
A graphical style that is a cross between Wind Waker and TP is enough to make me excited for the game. I have little doubt there are going to be some very innovative puzzles as well that utilize motion.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 02, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
It strikes me just how unaffected I am from it.  The game looks fine graphically and the combat looks like Nintendo's finally taking the Wii Motion Plus seriously (too much in some cases, as there are some things in that trailer that look like they only exist to be hit with Wii Motion Plus sword techniques), but there really isn't anything in that trailer that made me stop and go "Man, I can't wait to do THAT!!!  That's so cool!"  Either Nintendo's still holding the coolest aspects of the game to release at a later date (highly likely), or this is again just a Motion Plus iteration on Ocarina of Time.

When I read that, it makes total sense.  Aside from the graphics there isn't anything in the trailer that really stands out.

But for me Zelda and Metroid are king.  I was very disappointed in Other M and the DS Zeldas.  So thinking about it, it's been a while since I really sat down and enjoyed the **** out of a new game in either series.  Beggars can't be choosers and suddenly my priority is to just play a GOOD Zelda game.  Yeah I don't just want more Ocarina of Time but if the option is that or some touchscreen controlled mess, it's clear what I would prefer.  It isn't good that it should come to that but I was pretty excited watching the trailer today and I think that's why.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 02, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
It strikes me just how unaffected I am from it.  The game looks fine graphically and the combat looks like Nintendo's finally taking the Wii Motion Plus seriously (too much in some cases, as there are some things in that trailer that look like they only exist to be hit with Wii Motion Plus sword techniques), but there really isn't anything in that trailer that made me stop and go "Man, I can't wait to do THAT!!!  That's so cool!"  Either Nintendo's still holding the coolest aspects of the game to release at a later date (highly likely), or this is again just a Motion Plus iteration on Ocarina of Time.

When I read that, it makes total sense.  Aside from the graphics there isn't anything in the trailer that really stands out.

But for me Zelda and Metroid are king.  I was very disappointed in Other M and the DS Zeldas.  So thinking about it, it's been a while since I really sat down and enjoyed the **** out of a new game in either series.  Beggars can't be choosers and suddenly my priority is to just play a GOOD Zelda game.  Yeah I don't just want more Ocarina of Time but if the option is that or some touchscreen controlled mess, it's clear what I would prefer.  It isn't good that it should come to that but I was pretty excited watching the trailer today and I think that's why.

Can't believe I am going to say this, but I agree. I do not care for the handheld DS Zeldas, and I personally LOVED Twilight Princess to me it was Ocarina of Time only better. It and Wind Waker are my two favorite 3D Zelda's. Regardless of the route the game takes I will no doubt love (mostly) every minute of it. The Zelda series is one of those, that even when ranked, they are so close in quality that there is no one game that is massively better then the other. Perhaps the only exception to me was Majora's Mask but I admit it is a very good game, just not what I was looking for in a Zelda title.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 02, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
I'm afraid my first impression from the latest trailer is... how boring.  I was initially excited that Motion+ would be used for combat, but it doesn't seem very exciting the way they implemented it.  There's a sentiment among some that Zelda has become too much of a puzzle game the last decade; well this looks like puzzle combat.  Where's the feeling of 'kicking-butt'?  It's slow, and it's like you're following a conductor - slash this way, pause, now slash this other way.

As for the graphics, I was satisfied with what I saw at E3 last year.  But I'm not feeling some of the textures used, for example, the brick walls.  Everything seems to blend too much.  Hopefully this is simply a result of the video quality.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: March 02, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
I think the trailer wasn't put together well and that is why we're all feeling 'meh' about it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 02, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
It was supposed to be a combat exhibition rather than a full synopsis trailer.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »
It was supposed to be a combat exhibition rather than a full synopsis trailer.

The problem is that there wasn't anything really all that spectacular about the combat.  You can slice in different directions now, and that's required to fight certain enemies.  We've had something like that since Ocarina of Time (remember taking out the Deku plants?)  You want to impress me with the combat, and show that Zelda is taking a step forward?  Show Link flying around in the air (assuming he can in this game as suspected), and then go into a dive and end with his sword jabbed in a monster's head or skewering one's belly depending on how his sword is aimed during the dive.  Despite there being a noticeable increase in combat precision, it doesn't really look all that different.  I think Nintendo held back too much with this trailer.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Let's not forget that in the trailer's attempt to showcase the combat, it seemed extremely slow. There were huge lags between sword swipes. This is especially true when you compare it to the Twilight Princess trailer.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »
The evolution in combat comes from Motion-Plus.

Everyone poo-pood Nintendo for not having 1-1 motion, now that they have it, and have it in one of their best (imho their absolute best) franchises it's not enough? Having said that, I hope there are lots of enemies and bosses that I can hack at anyway I choose and not in a predetermined pattern. Also, this wasn't E3, its GDC, and the purpose of this trailer (and the Mario 3DS tease) is to show developers the kinds of things they can do on the system.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 02, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
I think Nintendo held back too much with this trailer.

Well yeah, this isn't E3.  The whole point of this trailer was to tease everyone so you'll be more exited to see what they have instore at E3.  It's the exact same thing they did with Twilight Princess back in 2005.

Twilight Princess GDC 2005 trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV3lH9qWmks

Twilight Princess E3 2005 trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3v_-LPVm2E

Jeez people, be happy we actually got a new trailer because Nintendo could have easily just waited until E3 to show everything like they normally do.  Anyone who was expecting anything more from the trailer other then a few new locations and enemies which we got was delusional at best since Nintendo has shown for many years now that unless it's E3 or the game is a month away from release, they're not going to reveal that much.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 02, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
God those TP trailers kick so much ass. The TP GDC trailer also made me realize that they cut a lot out of the game because half those enemies and areas aren't used.

As for this new trailer, I can see why people are complaining. First off the music isn't as epic as one expects during a Zelda trailer. And most of the video we saw didn't have a cinematic touch to it, like aerial view shots or pan and tracking shots. Most of the video is how we will see the game.

So that's probably two major reasons why people didn't feel energized. The third is that it's a demonstration trailer and not a hype trailer. So you aren't going to need an epic orchestral sonnet or cinematic views in the first place.

I thought the trailer was great. My favorite part about it is the sheer number of enemies presented. Except for the Stalfos (?), every enemy Link attacked was different.

Can't wait to see what the bosses are like.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 02, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
Everyone poo-pood Nintendo for not having 1-1 motion, now that they have it, and have it in one of their best (imho their absolute best) franchises it's not enough?

Exactly.

Actually fighting as Link was probably everyone's childhood fantasy when they played the original nes games.  I imagine it was the same for you as well  (yes, especially you). There have been only two games that really use the M+ as a sword (Resort, Red Steel) and people act like having a Zelda game like this isn't something special.  Take off your jaded gamer glasses for minute and think about it.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1373 on: March 02, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
It's not 1-1 motion... it detects orientation, but it simplifies it down to vertical and horizontal directions, probably for accessibility purposes.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
I wonder if they'll give you the option to try 1-1 for yourself...

But wait this is Nintendo, so nevermind.
black fairy tales are better at sports