Poll

Who will be the Cherry Popper of 3D video content on the 3DS?

Disney w/ ABC & ESPN
Comcast w/ NBC, Unversal & Hulu(+)
Warner Bros. w/ the CW
Netflix w/ a new 3D service
A Different Major Network TV Station (FOX, CBS)
A Major Cable Station (TBS, FX, TNT, CC, BET, etc etc.)
A Premium Cable Station (HBO, Encore, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, etc.)
A Major News Station (FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC)
Other - (List it in the thread and I will add it to the poll if it's sounds reasonable)

Author Topic: 3DS Movie/TV Content Providers - who will Pop Nintendo's Video On Demand Cherry?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
3DS Movies, a service we are all looking forward to even if we don't personally plan on buying any movies to watch on it is gonna be a major selling point for the device.

The service will not be available a minute 1 on launch day (no idea when the service launches) but we do know that they already showed off one movie in the name of Legend of the Guardians (a CG movie about owls) so we know they have content providers lined up, but who is gonna be there on the day the service launches? Who is gonna have the the most content on the very first day assuming Nintendo wouldn't launch with just one video for the service.

Please discuss below.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I have to go with Netflix with this.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
I have to go with Netflix with this.

I second Netflix.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I dunno if Netflix is gonna be ready on day 1. A lot of studios are trying to blackball Netflix for whatever reasons, and I don't think they even offer 3D Bluray rentals yet.
Honestly, I wouldn't think there'd be anything at launch, but if it were, I'd have to go with Disney. They're a major studio with a huge wallet. They know Nintendo sells to kids, and kids like Disney movies. I'd bet that if all studios went all out, Disney would outsell them all. It's a better market for them.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I haven't voed yet and I know everyone would expect me to pick Netflix (I sincerely hope Nintendo has had Netflix in the loop since early on in the game. Netflix provided a nice incentive for people to get their Wiis online and a few fence sitting late adopters to pick up a Wii), but there is a reason that I listed Disney w/ ABC & ESPN3D first.

That is where I'm leaning right now myself.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
You mean the fact that ESPN is already broadcasting in 3D and has been for the last 6 months?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
That would be why I referred to ESPN3D as ESPN 3D. We all know ESPN has been broadcasting in 3D. Comcast has dedicated 3D On Demand content, WB has already shown a 3D movie running on the 3DS and Netflix probably has access to 3D version of movies to stream but no real incentive to stream them since almost no one has a way of viewing them in 3D. That's why those 4 are singled out on the poll, so I'm not sure what your point is.

I was agreeing with Nickmitch about Disney probably being the first one with the biggest backing because they are seeking a similar audience. Disney just so happens to also own ABC and yes ESPN (which happens to also have 3D channel).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Right, they've got the most capital and the most content. Netflix doesn't own the rights to stream all the movies they rent, and again, I don't think they rent 3D movies. So, unless they really pushed it for the 3DS and the handfull of people with Netflix hooked up to a 3D TV, I don't think they'll be 3D out of the gate. However, it would make sense for the studios to let Netflix take a chunk of the risk with the streaming service, but I'd think they'd charge a premium (like an extra dollar a month for the service).
Anyway, I'm sticking with Disney. They wanna put ESPN where you are and make some returns on their 3D investment.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Nefix.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
but I'd think they'd charge a premium (like an extra dollar a month for the service).

That's what they do for Blu-ray Disc. Starting February 7 they will charge $3 extra a month for access to Blu-ray (right now they charge $1.64 a month).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20