Author Topic: Oscars wut  (Read 26438 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Oscars wut
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »
Wall-E in BDR is hard to beat. It's so deliciously crisp.

Oh and the intro movie to Wall-E should have won an oscar.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
Coraline is suppose to be FANTASTIC. I love Tim Burton. He's the fuckin' man. He seems to always have a creative skew on the movie art form and Coraline in no different; it's his first true 3D project.

RottenTomatoes has it at 87%.

i like Tim Burton, but not universally. I like the stuff that pretty much are his exclusively, but not so much when he gets his hands on other properties.

Pee Wee (it was great, first duo of Danny Elfman and Burton i think)
Batman(its still good, but he didn't have total creative control..which might be a good thing)
Batman Returns(he had too much creatrive control..and it seems more like Tim Burton then batman)
Beetle Juice (love Beetle Juice)
Edward Scissorhands (loved Edward Scissorhands)
Ed Wood(loved ed wood)
Mars Attacks (great, not quite his own, but you know he was the only fan of the property growing up)
Sleepy Hollow(haven't seen it)
Planet of the Apes (i don't hate this movie as much as other people, but it isn't as good as the original)
Big Fish (it was alright, but not his greatest)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(Burton takes his own take on it, the original is way better this one is not terrible though by any means. There is a sick joke every 3 seconds on the original..you have to be fast to pick it up)
Corpse Bride (great movie)
Sweeny Todd (visually great,  but i wasn't too fond of it...i would say i don't like musicals, but i do. I haven't seen the original source so i can't say its his fault)

and Nightmare before Christmas he was a writer, producer and character designer, he was not the Director. Although if you control the top and bottom of a process then you still have more creative control than the director. Claymation is a different medium than regular film. He didn't sit around clay all day, but he sure made all the decisions. He did for Corpse Bride though.

Coraline is Directed by Henry Selick, its sort of misleading in the commercials that say from the Director of the Nightmare before Christmas..because its a Tim Burton movie, but from the looks of it Burton has nothing to do with this movie. Henry Selick also Directed James and the Giant Peach which Burton Produced.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:14:05 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
Sweeney Todd was my favorite movie last year, loved that film!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 05:32:30 PM »
So Coraline is like a "Jime Henson film" without Jim Henson working on it?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
@ThePerm
Is that the Sleepy Hollow that Jonny Depp was in? I think it came out in the mid-to-late 90's.

This is now a thread about good, non-Disney, domestic animated feature films.

The Contenders:
Fire and Ice
Secret of Nimh
An American Tale
All Dogs go to Heaven
Land Before Time
Iron Giant
Shrek 1
Kung Fu Panda

What say you, NWR??
You forgot Anastasia. One of my friends that is a huge Disney fan actually thought that was a Disney movie. A lot of people thought that.

Secret of Nimh is a favorite of mine, i read the book too

and Land before Time
did anyone else Turn around and see Land Before Time VIII at the store and think "well now i remember there being a part II, but VIII?!! now their getting into final fantasy numbers where were the other VI! Now their on XIV!

I remember loving the first one. It was worked on by both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. Then the second one came out and less than five minuets in they bust into an awkward song. I just walked away. I don't think they number them anymore. There are also sing-a-long shows and a television series. My little-little sister gets them at the library to watch.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »
Yeah I actually had the misfortune to watch Land Before Time XXVII or whatever. It made me feel like my childhood had been taken away by horrible pogo bouncing dinosaurs.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »
IceCold, Nightmare before Christmas came out under the Disney label.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »
back @ Stratos on Sleepy Hollow
yeah, I never got a chance to see it. From the list he's one of the few directors where I've seen about every feature film they've made...i just need to see sleepy hollow and his upcoming endeavors

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
He's one of the people that I need to see more of his stuff. I love what I have seem and so I need to go out of my way and have a Burton marathon or something.
My Game Collection

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
I think Burton is incredibly overrated. 
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
A frustrating annoyance of mine (usually with academy awards) is how canadian-produced stuffs get so quickly ignored, and then science fiction in general gets ignored faster. So canadian produced science fiction is a real no no. Ian should be ranting about this more.

Canadian produced stuff is even ignored HERE in Canada.  Seriously like at best one Canadian film gets any notice maybe once every five years.  I can probably count the amount of Canadian movies I've ever seen on one hand.

Which thinking about it probably pretty bad for an aspiring Canadian film maker like myself.  The funny thing is I never really thought of myself as making Canadian films.  I always associate that sort of thing with movies funded by the Canadian government about Aboriginals or Quebec.  The Canadian films that do become mainstream hits here are rarely associated with being Canadian.  They're just considered good movies.  Same with any Canadian TV show.  So much stuff on CBC for example is total CRAP that most people never watch and assume only gets broadcast to meet government requirements of Canadian content.  So that's what people think of when they think of Canadian movies or TV.  When something bucks the trend and is really good we tend to associate it more with the good American movies and TV that we actually like.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
Are all those shows filmed around Vancouver considered Canadian? Like Smallville?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
Are all those shows filmed around Vancouver considered Canadian? Like Smallville?

It's filmed in BC but is made by an American company so it wouldn't be considered Canadian.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
HAHAHHAHAHAHHA

I can see it now: Arnold impaling someone with a flag pole; "Get out of my country!"

Seriously though, Canadian movies may suck but some of their TV shows are absolutely hilarious.

On another note, what's everyone's primarily thought on "UP"? It looks good, but can it top Wall-E?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:58:36 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »
HAHAHHAHAHAHHA

I can see it now: Arnold impaling someone with a flag pole; "Get out of my country!"

Seriously though, Canadian movies may suck but some of their TV shows are absolutely hilarious.

On another note, what's everyone's primarily thought on "UP"? It looks good, but can it top Wall-E?

Every Pixar Film's initial teaser trailer fails to impress me. Ratatouille was the most extreme. I thought the film would flop. After I saw it and how amazing it was I now have a high level of faith in Pixar movies. Their teaser trailers never impress me but they have not once had a miss in my book since the first Toy Story. Wall-E, Incredibles and Ratatouille are my three favorites by them though. Don't ask me to rank them.

@Ian
What type of films are you interested in making? Action flicks? Romantic comedy? Sci-Fi? Drama? Or perhaps an epic TV series a la Heroes, Lost or 24?
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »
Pixar films are quite hard to shove into a short teaser, they are not built on a ton of action scenes, or jokes. They are movies that need to be watched from beginning to end to be able to "understand" the appeal. It has to be a nightmare for someone to put together a teaser trailer in the first place for them!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »
as far as Canadian movies go, i can see why Canadian films are so lacking. Canada is the bizarro world of the U.S., its 80% the same thing(i assume..i've never quite visited, i've been to Mexico various times..which i would say is 40% the same thing). Most of the time we don't even know some the great actors are Canadian. Hollywood is like an acting vector. It sucks them in. Think about it William Shatner, Chevy Chase, Mike Meyers, Dan Akroyd, Pamela Anderson. Even great directors like David Cronenberg and James Cameron are Canadian.

idk. I've moved around into different regions of the U.S and even they seem different(80% the same thing though). I've lived in the South, lived in Idaho, I've lived in Arizona, I've visited California many times, I've Visited Texas, Minnesota,I've been to Luisinanna(but never was there long enough to really get a feel), On the east coast I've never been further North than South Carolina (i would like to see ny, nj, and philly, and dc) Although everyone from the ny/nj area has always been very different.

What i want to know from someone whose visited Canada(or visited the states to compare) is how different is it? Different like a whole country different..or different like how regions are different, and i'm not really counting Quebec..just the English speaking part.

and Pap, what about Puerto Rico? From what i understand every couple of years its in between being independent and becoming a state.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:42 AM »
Has anyone ever seen the movie Canadian Bacon? Some of the discussion in this thread is reminding me a lot of parts of that movie.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2009, 02:14:36 AM »
What's this I hear about people insulting Canadian movies? Have you guys watched any Cronenberg ones (his two latest ones, Eastern Promises and A History of Violence, are among his best)? Or "The Sweet Hereafter"? Or "Away from Her"? Or "Jesus de Montreal"?

Oh, and Juno was shot in Canada with a Canadian director and both leads being Canadian. But it was distributed by Fox Searchlight so apparently it can't be considered "Canadian".
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2009, 03:42:16 AM »
Lexx is one Canadian series that I loved.