Author Topic: Interesting read....Wii, 1up, and Pilotwings!  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Interesting read....Wii, 1up, and Pilotwings!
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:51:26 AM »
Article

Though he doesn't confirm it, Sam Kennedy stresses the vitality of Pilotwings. Basically mentioning how greatly it appeals to non-gamers.

Pilotwings could be the flagship that Nintendo desires. It would be almost too easy to control, and more importantly, the fun could be accessible by anyone -- even say, a grandma or a teenage girl.

Enough about that though. His opinion's on the Wii fiasco are well written and well thought out. It's a good read.

I especially like his last sentence:

"In the meantime, though, here's the big question I have: At Nintendo's pre-E3 press conference, who is going to be the one to start the 'Change it back' chant?"

Also, I know I mentioned this before, but did you know Nintendo's E3 conference is being held in the KODAK theater? That place is enormous. It kind of puts the fan back in the fanboy. Honestly, if Nintendo is this confident about their decisions, then I can't help but be confident as well.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: Interesting read....Wii, 1up, and Pilotwings!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:28 AM »
It was easy to miss, but this has already come up in the Game News and Rumours thread.  I can't keep up with all the new posts, either.  

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
RE:Interesting read....Wii, 1up, and Pilotwings!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 12:25:54 PM »

That place is enormous. It kind of puts the fan back in the fanboy. Honestly, if Nintendo is this confident about their decisions, then I can't help but be confident as well.

Ha, don't you mean the boy back in fanboy (I'm assuming you're a fan anyways.) But yeah, Kodak Theatre and simulcast at the World Store is great...can't wait till May 9th.

All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 01:06:34 PM »
6 days eh?  All for the privilege of hearing about what we then have to wait another 6 months for.  hehehe

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 05:48:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
His opinion's on the Wii fiasco are well written and well thought out. It's a good read.

"In the meantime, though, here's the big question I have: At Nintendo's pre-E3 press conference, who is going to be the one to start the 'Change it back' chant?"

Were we even reading the same article? All I read were the same old arguments about how the name doesn't fit with gaming conventions. Well, there's a reason for that: The system doesn't fit with gaming conventions. I still think all this naming backlash is being generated by resentment around the controller and the idea that Nintendo might actually be expending effort to get more people to play games.

BLASPHEMY!

If they were going to play games they would have started by now, right? And it's always best to continue using all your effort to court a market segment that you already own, right?

I think that most gamers are full of themselves. I think that everyone is upset because Nintendo is actually trying to branch out into new markets and that means that they won't be focusing just on you anymore. Talk about spoiled brats. You'd rather Nintendo die than you have to share some of the attention?

One thing that always seem to be omnipresent in these types of situations is that people hate change. They fear it so much that they'd rather destroy something that they love rather than see it change. I might have thought that humanity was possible of evolving beyond that. I guess not. And it looks like Nintendo's going to be it's next victim.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 06:03:44 PM »
This is already in another thread, the game news and rumors one.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:28:26 PM »
That pic of the ducky and kitten is so damn cute! aaaaawwwwwww...

"You'd rather Nintendo die than you have to share some of the attention?"

haha of course, I dont have stocks in them, I couldnt care less if they die if being alive means that Im not getting Metroid or Zelda. Thats not happening though, but still... sorry but its so damn stupid to crave for a company to gain profits and be number one if that means they are sacrificing your own interests, its just absurd, that kind of loyalty is nuts.

I still think the focus of the name was for the NA market... but created by a japanese name company. Its obvious one of the big reasons to stick with the name is the "we" reference, only present in english speaking countries, also the "wheee" having fun reference.

But theres also the grammatical confusion, you just cant interchange pronouns and nouns at will and make sense, Ive been having trouble when skimming articles related with Wii thanks to that, its been difficult also the confusion of "will" and "wii", specially the phrases that start "wii will..." just look at that, its like some weird puzzle, the name doesnt stands out, just confuses.

Also, Nintendo hasnt changed Revolution for Wii in their own website, that tells me they didnt had any idea of the name, despite this nintendo guy saying that NOA and NCL came up with the name together.

But... Pilot Wings... yes! it isnt a shocker though, it was almost expected, now revive dead phoenix and I would even pretend to not care for the name, please! Im sucker for flying games and the console is just so perfect for it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »
Change it back chant LOL, I want to see the reaction of the Nintendo brass when they have dozens of media personnel and thousands of gamers asking them to change the name of the Wii. I know they will just brush aside the criticism but it will still be fun to watch. I can't wait for the direct feed of Nintendo's Pre-E3 conference.
Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
haha of course, I dont have stocks in them, I couldnt care less if they die if being alive means that Im not getting Metroid or Zelda. Thats not happening though, but still... sorry but its so damn stupid to crave for a company to gain profits and be number one if that means they are sacrificing your own interests, its just absurd, that kind of loyalty is nuts.

And you know that they're sacrificing your own interests how? In fact you yourself have said that they aren't. We're getting Mario, we're getting Zelda, we're getting Metroid. And best of all not only are we getting all of our old favorites, but we're also getting a whole host of new types of games as well as gameplay. And we're even getting games that shatter the preconceived notion of what a game is.

So, um... What's the big problem?

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 07:48:05 PM »

Originally posted by: denjet78

His opinion's on the Wii fiasco are well written and well thought out. It's a good read.

Were we even reading the same article? All I read were the same old arguments about how the name doesn't fit with gaming conventions.

BLASPHEMY!

Does the type of content really change the fact that it was well written and well thought out?

And "same old arguments"? How old are these arguments again? 4 days? A week?

I'm not saying you have to agree with it, just appreciate it for what it is. No more, no less.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 07:57:04 PM »
this will never end

So repeating myself...

Its clearly a console focused on "non-gamers" (horrible term but already engraved in our vocabulary) and multiplayer. Im not fond of multiplayer, not even offline multiplayer, and also I dont think Id like games my mom, dad or grandma will like. How many Metroids are for the DS? just one, and its a rape of the franchise, how many brain training games are already? like a million? why is so crazy then for me to fear the same will happen with the rev? these are concerns based on the only evidence we have that can gives us any clue about what to expect from the rev, the DS.

Besides, this lack of information on first party titles is killing me, Mario 128 will most than likely stray away from the usual Mario formula, which might be good or bad, but its expected from the franchise, but Metroid? There has been rumors about at a LOT of changes. Im all for a franchise to grow and evolve, but it happens that the focus of this particular console is non-gamers and multiplayer, what on earth can possibly guarantee me that Retro wont be forced down this path instead of evolving the franchise based on its original roots of the classic Metroid gameplay?

I want to clarify that Im not making any predictions at all, but its only normal for me to be concerned and have doubts, Nintendo isnt perfect.

And this is why I despise the "but Nintendo will expand the market attracting the nongamers!" argument, and was my main point in my previous post, why the hell should we care? thats not a valid reason for us to support their decisions, it doesnt guarantee we will get more games we like, not at all.

And also the "But the name will atract the non gamers!" argument, again, why the hell should we care? we (generalizing) are the ones who find it silly, my mom will find it interesting (she actually didnt but lets pretend), so? I still hate it, thats not a valid argument.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 08:04:02 PM »
Well, I care because I believe that I will find be able to find and explore new and entertaining experiences as the market expands. I do not believe that I know everything about gaming already, I believe there will always be new things to encounter and enjoy.

It's like movies. Netflix opened up a whole new world to me with foreign movies, independents, and classics, among other things. I've been enriched so much by this experience that I am eager to see if Nintendo can offer me things I would have never been able to encounter and enjoy otherwise with this tactic.

My tastes, desires, goals and preferences are not static: they adapt, mature, grow, and will only benefit from anything Nintendo can do to expand the market and its appetites.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
I like complex and deep games, the "non-gamer" aproach is the opposite of that.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 08:08:06 PM »
All I'm saying is don't underestimate the way your eyes can be opened by new experiences.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 08:12:23 PM »
The blue ocean strategy ensures Wii will get many NON-SALES.

Not an interesting read.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »
Mantidor - your fears are unfounded.

Sure Nintendo's latest approach might develope a new genre of gaming, one that you have no interest in. And just like a new born, you, the loyal hardcore gamer, may feel jealous by the attention your NOT getting. However, there is no reason to believe that Nintendo is abandoning you. In fact, you should be pleased with their move.

By their logic, if more people experience and enjoy games, then more people will be willing to buy games. Thus (and this is where you should be happy), more people will make games and the market will grow. And grow it will, like a new forest.

And though this forest may grow towards the mainstream sun, the games that we will adore will sprout like rare flowers.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
All I'm saying is don't underestimate the way your eyes can be opened by new experiences.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

which is good, but I have reasons to be doubtful, its not like Nintendo has made a lot of things that I liked lately (the TP rev features I feel so alone in this one, Metroid Hunters, the damn name)

Edit

"And though this forest may grow towards the mainstream sun, the games that we will adore will sprout like rare flowers."

But I dont want them to be rare

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 08:37:03 PM »
I don't think Rare was the best word to use. Let me try again....

You see....in the movie industry, a good film is rare, but for some reason, we usually find them despite the mass of crap we would have to sift through. In other words...if we are interested, they usually find us.

And that my friend is the purpose of advertisement.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidorwhich is good, but I have reasons to be doubtful, its not like Nintendo has made a lot of things that I liked lately (the TP rev features I feel so alone in this one, Metroid Hunters, the damn name)

Well, it's not like Nintendo's made ANYTHING lately truth be told.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »

Does the type of content really change the fact that it was well written and well thought out?

And "same old arguments"? How old are these arguments again? 4 days? A week?

I'm not saying you have to agree with it, just appreciate it for what it is. No more, no less.

Well, I suppose the way it was written, I think you took what I was saying the wrong way. I should have thrown sarcasm tags around certain words.

As for the article itself: Well written, yes. Well thought out, I'd have to say no. It was basically a reprisal of all the base arguments against the name that I've already read on the forums. I didn't run across a single idea that hadn't already been thrown up as a "perfectly logical reason" to hate the name. And really that's why I don't like the article, because it is just hate. It's more or less venom spitting with no real objectivity. But you can't really expect objectivity when it was written by a gamer.

Originally posted by: mantidor
this will never end

So repeating myself...

Its clearly a console focused on "non-gamers" (horrible term but already engraved in our vocabulary) and multiplayer. Im not fond of multiplayer, not even offline multiplayer, and also I dont think Id like games my mom, dad or grandma will like. How many Metroids are for the DS? just one, and its a rape of the franchise, how many brain training games are already? like a million? why is so crazy then for me to fear the same will happen with the rev? these are concerns based on the only evidence we have that can gives us any clue about what to expect from the rev, the DS.

Besides, this lack of information on first party titles is killing me, Mario 128 will most than likely stray away from the usual Mario formula, which might be good or bad, but its expected from the franchise, but Metroid? There has been rumors about at a LOT of changes. Im all for a franchise to grow and evolve, but it happens that the focus of this particular console is non-gamers and multiplayer, what on earth can possibly guarantee me that Retro wont be forced down this path instead of evolving the franchise based on its original roots of the classic Metroid gameplay?

I want to clarify that Im not making any predictions at all, but its only normal for me to be concerned and have doubts, Nintendo isnt perfect.

And this is why I despise the "but Nintendo will expand the market attracting the nongamers!" argument, and was my main point in my previous post, why the hell should we care? thats not a valid reason for us to support their decisions, it doesnt guarantee we will get more games we like, not at all.

And also the "But the name will atract the non gamers!" argument, again, why the hell should we care? we (generalizing) are the ones who find it silly, my mom will find it interesting (she actually didnt but lets pretend), so? I still hate it, thats not a valid argument.

More or less, you're arguing semantics because... Actually I don't know why. It would be great if you could actually state what it is exactly that you're afraid of. All I see here is an issue completely blown out of proportion. Ooooo.... There's only one Metroid game on the DS and it's not a true Metroid title but there's, I think there's 3 now, Brain Training titles. Dooom On Nintendo!...

First off, everyone already knows what happened to Hunters. It was developed by NST instead of Retro. NST titles are okay but they just don't have that "knack". I didn't much like what they did to WaveRace on the GC either. Second point, as for the Brain Training titles they've each sold like a billion copies so far and cost Nintendo LITTERALLY nothing to make. Are you actually going to fault them for making more? The games are SELLING way better than Hunters.

And I don't seen Retro, NST, or even EAD being turned into "non-games" central. Most likely they're simply going to break off smaller groups to work on these types of titles every now and then. I could see IS or even HAL focusing on non-games but in the end they're most likely still going to make the franchise titles that they're well known for. Nintendo isn't completely shifting over to making these "non-games" at the expense of their existing software. These other titles are going to be complimentry to them.

Unless your big-budget story-driven titles don't sell while Brain Training and the like continue to roll in numbers in excess of millions. Then, I think, Nintendo would have a right to drop them. If people aren't buying them, they won't make them. Which can also be said about these "non-games". If people were't buying them, Nintendo wouldn't be making them. Well, people are buying them so Nintendo must be onto something, don't you agree?

As for you're right to hate the name, yo have every right. But the name isn't going to change the games. None of us know exactly what this new controller is going to do to their existing franchises. The next Mario could redefine gaming once again, or be a complete flop. I don't know. You don't know. I suppose I just trust Nintendo. The ideas that this controller fills me with leads me to believe that everything is going to be fine. No, scratch that. That everything is going to be GREAT! That we've only scratched the surface of what's really going on behind the scenes and when everything is finally revealed, we're all going to be blown away.

And why am I willing to be so trusting? Because some of these non-games interest me. Will I like all of them? Probably not, but I'm not going to simply dismiss them out of hand because I'm afraid of the implications they pose. Why would I want to sheild myself from what might be some of the greatest gaming I might ever run across just because I'm afraid of it? And in the end, these are all games. Even the Brain Training titles.

How on earth could a gamer actually be afraid of a game?