Author Topic: Super Zombi U, I'm freely warming up to it  (Read 86549 times)

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Zombi U, I'm warming up to it
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
I really need to get back and finish this game.  My problem is that it always sets a mood of dread in me that I can never play it for any decent length of time lol.  Horror games are games I can never play for hours on end.  I always need to take a brake in between sessions.  Loved the game though from the time I've put into it so far. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:44 AM »
It took me awhile to be able to play this for longer sessions. The nursery is scary. Possibly the scariest.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »
Is there a way for me to dump items in any of the metal containers that are around? I knowvI can drop stuff to the floor, but it seems like a missed oportunity if the game won't let me use these containers.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Super Zombi U, I'm freely warming up to it
« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
Bought this the other day for $35 from GameStop (billed as used but actually new) and have put about 4 hours into it. I'm only partway through Buckingham underground, though, because I'm dying every few minutes. Really don't like how zombies can just tackle you when you have nearly full health. I appreciate elements of the hardcore-ness given that this is supposed to be simulating a zombie apocalypse, but I'm having a hard time getting any momentum going. It took me like 8 hours to get up to speed on Dark Souls, though, so I'm hoping this will even out as my stats build.

Also, that Gamespot review definitely had a point about the cricket bat ****. I'm spending way too much time bashing zombies. This wouldn't be as bad if the guns were more powerful, but the zombies are sponges so far. And when you're out of ammo and there's more than one zombie, you're basically screwed, because if you stop to finish off one the other will tackle you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
Not really. You aren't using the bat right. I can fight up to four or five zombies with my bat if I'm careful. It's not like they're fast or anything.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2013, 02:32:11 AM »
Not really. You aren't using the bat right. I can fight up to four or five zombies with my bat if I'm careful. It's not like they're fast or anything.

I don't know about that. They take so many hits, the action is laggy, they don't actually move that slow, and you lose running stamina pretty quick (and the frigging click stick activation on that makes everything worse).

I am liking the game better though as I go along. I have the crossbow and serum now, and have kept a character alive for an hour and a half so far. I'm trying to burn all of my ammo as I go along after having lost too much on deaths before, and it's definitely working better.

That friggin home base invasion after the first mission what bullshit, however, and came close to souring me on this game.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:13 AM »

One of the reasons I got tired of the game after 8 hours was because of the repetitive nature of the bat mechanics, and how dependent it becomes because of the massive lack of firepower the game suffers from. I would have enjoyed the game much more if weapons were upgradable, that would help the pacing of the game feel much better.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Sergqov

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Joomla extensions
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2013, 05:14:15 AM »
I like this game , it's really have awesome graphic .   :)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2013, 10:19:27 PM »

One of the reasons I got tired of the game after 8 hours was because of the repetitive nature of the bat mechanics, and how dependent it becomes because of the massive lack of firepower the game suffers from. I would have enjoyed the game much more if weapons were upgradable, that would help the pacing of the game feel much better.

Dude... weapons ARE upgradable...

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2013, 01:21:03 AM »
They're upgradable but it doesn't feel too satisfying so far given the rarity of parts, and I'm not really sure how that interacts with the stat system.

Mainly I'm getting the sense that this game would get a significant boost from having an upgradable bat or strength stats.

One kind of interesting comparison to Dark Souls, though, is that that game is also extremely repetitive over a much longer period of time, but somehow doesn't feel like a grind. ZombiU has some pretty cool ideas/elements, but there's sand in the gears. There's definitely some interesting tension between the role playing and survival horrors elements, and I would be interested in a sequel even if I don't finish the game.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2013, 02:58:10 AM »
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm enjoying this game simply because of its emphasis on gathering materials and its overworld that is interconnected. I'm past the point where I think the zombie kills are cheap- I had a bit of trouble at the start, as anyone would- and my last two survivors have had great lifespans and done quite a bit on their own.

I don't really see the scarcity of resources everyone talks about, as I've been rocking a few good clips of ammo for a bit now, though maybe it's based on my love for scavenging.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:50 PM »

Dude... weapons ARE upgradable...

True, but it doesn't really make a difference given the fact that you can easily lose all of your weapons.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
...which is why you use the CCTV to get the weapons back at any time and still keep the upgrades. Something tells me you aren't playing this game right.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
...which is why you use the CCTV to get the weapons back at any time and still keep the upgrades. Something tells me you aren't playing this game right.

You know how easy is to get killed on your way to your stuff, i mean if you love the game then that is that. Its just that I would like that aspect of the game be tweaked for future releases.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 08, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
Once you've gone through an area once, it's pretty easy to get through again. There are no surprises or special events, and you've already played that area at its hardest so it's not like you'll die again.

If you do, that's operator error, not developer error.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
Ooof, do you lose your additional guns upon death? I really don't want to slog back through previous environments just to get viable on new missions. I'd assumed that non-inventory weapons were permanent, with some token amount of ammo.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
If it's in your backpack when you die, and you don't manage to get it back, then you lose everything in the inventory. The chest at your base exists to avoid that issue. They are not lost when death occurs.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 08, 2013, 03:04:15 AM »
If it's in your backpack when you die, and you don't manage to get it back, then you lose everything in the inventory. The chest at your base exists to avoid that issue. They are not lost when death occurs.

Borderlands style looting and weapon management would be a welcomed addition.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 08, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »
Borderlands does what it does because there's almost an infinite number of guns. This is not Borderlands and its not trying to be.

I also think that they should allow you to pause at any time in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and I think you should be able to change your equipment as you pause a la Skyrim because apparently Skyrim does it better even though they are completely different genres. See how ridiculous you sound? They do what they do in ZombiU to make it difficult. If you don't like that, tough ****. If they had it any other way it would be easier. That is not what they were trying to accomplish with this game.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
^Dude, I am just throwing ideas out there to keep the conversation going, in the end we both like the game but in a completely different way, but if you want be a smart-ass and cynical lmk, cause I can excel at that. If you are blind enough not to see the game faults then you are an idiot, and please don't ask for a sequel cause clearly this game is perfect in all regards :cool;

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
Sorry for the double post people, but I think fans of this game might find this news disturbing;
http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-zombiu-not-profitable-no-sequel-plans-257720.phtml

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
So in a new interview, the CEO of Ubisoft said ZombiU did not even come CLOSE to making a profit, and it was the main reason they decided to make Rayman Legends a multiplatform game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
Are you shitting me? Fucking Ubisoft. They're just as bad as EA.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
Are you shitting me? Fucking Ubisoft. They're just as bad as EA.

Finally, one thing we agree on in regards to this game. I don't know how Ubisoft can make such a claim. Based on Miiverse numbers the ZombiiU community is almost 100k strong, and that's not counting the thousands that decide to ignore Miiverse. WTF did they expect to bank on a launch title.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
Enough to make a profit, which is more than understandable. It makes no sense at all to release a game and not want to make a profit on it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20