Author Topic: What do you think of IGN's Top 100 games ever?  (Read 13920 times)

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What do you think of IGN's Top 100 games ever?
« on: May 02, 2003, 05:14:56 PM »
If you go to IGN's Top 100 page you'll se they are doing the top 100 games of all time. Every day they are adding ten more games. So far they have 100 through 51...

What do you think of the list? What do you think will make the top ten?

Also, remember this is more like a hundred "greatest" games of all time not hundred "most fun" games of all time. The difference is that "greatest" sort of incorporates several issues, as in the impact the game had, how revolutionary it was, etc, as well as how fun it was...
So just cause you think Advance Wars is better than Resident Evil 2 you should say "how dare they put RE2 a slot higher than Advance Wars". They were both fun, yes, but RE2 was more revolutionary and had much more of an impact. Advance Wars is, yes, probably a lot more fun to most people, but it's not to much different from the other Wars games and didn't induce a whole genre to appear...

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 05:40:01 PM »
I think they should've broken it down into genres.  I remember one site doing the best Adventure games(Monkey Island, Loom, etc.) of all time and that was a much more enjoyable experience.  If they did like top 40 for each genre I'd be happier b/c it is really a matter of opinion in how much a game impacted gaming.  At least they had Sam & Max Hit the Road as 67.  DOTT and The Secret of Monkey Island better be on there.  Those had way more impact on the adventure genre than Sam & Max did.  Yet again this is my opinion and they probably won't follow suit.  IGN's opinion on the top 100 games of all time will be taken into consideration, but it is their opinion and IGN's opinion doesn't stand too high for me anymore.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 05:43:39 PM »
I'll say this...if Zelda or Mario isn't number one, than I have a serious problem with that list .  And Kid Icarus was much too low IMO
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 05:49:37 PM »
Sam and Max was a pretty good LucasArts adventure, but it was nothign comparaed to Grim Fandango, Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, and Day of the Tentacle. So those 5 games better be there! Either Grim Fandango or MI better be in the top 20. Certainly they're my favorite games of all time. And no, they were NOT influenced by Mario and Zelda.
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 06:53:31 PM »
yes, Monkey Island 1 or 2 better be in there SOMEWHERE
my first ever favorite game still is one of my favorite series'

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: What do you think of IGN's Top 100 games ever?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 06:59:13 PM »
I'm not sure about Monkey Island, but I'm pretty sure Grim Fandango will be their. As for your favorite game being too low...come on, quit complaining. It's a honor to be on that list at all. Narrowing all the best games ever to just 100 is a hard task, and someone will be disappointed. But if the game is on the list it should be enough. Don't complain about how something should have been 10 higher or something...And besides, there are lots of games to go, so don't say something is too low yet.  

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 07:11:39 PM »
i'm pissed becasue they'lll probably leave out Xenogears.

Goldeneye better be on the list.  Perfect Dark better not be.

ICO better be in the top 20...........
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 07:17:22 PM »
Goldeneye will definately be on the list, if not top 10..

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 07:21:18 PM »
At risk of getting in trouble for changing the topic to much...

I loved the monkey island games too and I was wondering how the ps2 game stacks up against the originals...any input on that?

Now for on topic...
I personally kind of flipped that pokemon was so low.  Now part of me wonders if gold/silver will be on there higher up, but that seems silly to me as red/blue launched the whole thing.  Basically i think pokemon created the concept of a persistant one player rpg, where people can just keep playing and keep playing.

I also feel games like ice climber, balloon fight, sky kid etc. should be on their for revolutionizing the 2 player co-op form of play...

oh and wrecking crew.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 07:47:08 PM »
Pokemon created the concept of a persistent one player RPG?....No no, my friend..you are mistaken

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 07:54:08 PM »
What other games do you have in mind?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 07:59:51 PM »
Entertainment Weekly and G4 just came up with their top 100. It went like this

1. Zelda (series)
2. Doom

The rest of them are in the Hyrule board in the thread I created.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2003, 08:33:34 PM »
I think we should make our own top 100 games ever list! We could like each list our own top 10 games, and the point system can go like this;

1st - 15 points
2nd - 10 points
3rd - 8 points
4th - 7 points
5th - 6 points
6th - 5 points
7th - 4 points
8th - 3 points
9th - 2 points
10th - 1 point

Then afterwards, someone can add up the tally and the game with the most points is number one, second most points is number two etc. up to one hundred? Im game if you guys are...

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 08:45:38 PM »
The best way to get enough different games is do a top 20. I would be willing to do that.
The reader choice award.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 08:49:15 PM »
top 20 ay? hmm, i think its easier for people if its only a top 10, its hard to decide what games you will make #17, 18 etc. and how would the point system go?

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2003, 04:34:32 AM »
I have wanted to do something like this for a long time, however, it is essentially a poll, and unless it was given by the mods, it would probably get locked. If is was ok though, I definitely would be all for it. Just as long as everyone else would be as willing to put some time and thought, as well as unbiasness, into choosing their top 10 or 20, or whatever, as I would.

A bit more on topic, I think their top 100 is pretty good so far, although I wish Shining Force II would have been ranked higher. The interesting part will be when they decide the top 20 or top 30. I really hope Chrono Trigger is in the top 5, or at least the top 10. Anything less than that would be unacceptable. Overall, they have put some good guidelines in place for their top 100.  
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2003, 05:07:54 AM »
I think if it were limited to a Top 10 (or maybe even Top 20, wouldn't be hard for me, I would have to just look at my IGN game collection scores ), "and" everyone listed clear and concise reasons after each pick about why they choose that game in that spot, the mods might let us get away with it . . . might.   It can't simply be a bare list, each individual has to put some thought into the process of compiling the games.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2003, 05:20:51 AM »
Reader choice awars, sounds fun, get PGC to handle it for us.
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline )Dark-LInk(

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2003, 05:51:26 AM »
zelda MUST be first tho followed by mario!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2003, 08:16:15 AM »
Um...i don't think we are prepared for the top 100 or even 20. IGN has played far more games (especially classic ones) than we have. We will limit the list to what we have played a leave out all the good games on other/old systems..

Offline Meta-Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2003, 08:52:16 AM »

Originally posted by: DrForester
i'm pissed becasue they'lll probably leave out Xenogears.

Goldeneye better be on the list.  Perfect Dark better not be.

ICO better be in the top 20...........

Why?  Perfect Dark was a great game, better than Goldeneye IMO... especially in multiplayer.  As for the single player, well, I prefered PD's because of the improved AI and graphics, and there was much more place for strategy.  

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2003, 08:58:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
Um...i don't think we are prepared for the top 100 or even 20. IGN has played far more games (especially classic ones) than we have. We will limit the list to what we have played a leave out all the good games on other/old systems..

Quite true for the most part. Perhaps a Nintendo console only top 50, 75, or 100. Stating the thought process and reasonings behind your posts is perfect. Although, many of us here have played more than just Nintendo console games, but I know what you mean. Nintendo consoles, with the NES, SNES, Gameboy (GBC & GBA), N64, and Gamecube, will have more than enough games to base a top games list on. The only major thing that would factor in is the fact that not everyone has played older Nintendo games (like on the NES).
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2003, 11:54:12 AM »
true, but these kinda list are as hard as hell to make, especially with the top 100 hundred

i mean, the top 5 wouldnt be so hard
or atleast the top one I bet is zelda OOT
LZ 2005

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2003, 02:09:15 PM »
TETRIS! Tetris needs to be in the top 5, if not, the top 3. Tetris is one of those very few games human beings have the natural tendacy to play, even when they aren't playing. It's chemically ingrained into the brain.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2003, 02:22:32 PM »
Um, your post is dumb but I agree Tetris is awesome