Author Topic: Somebody explain Pilotwings to me  (Read 4760 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Somebody explain Pilotwings to me
« on: May 02, 2003, 04:13:01 PM »
  I never owned either version, and I don't know what all this 'buzz' is about.  Could somebody explain exactly what kind of game this is?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 05:17:59 PM »
My pleasure.

Keep in mind I never really played the original that much, but I loved PW 64 to death, so yeah. PW 64 discription ahoy!

It's kind of like a flight sim, but not.
You choose a trippy character, and fly around massive (they seriously were on the N64) landscapes, with various objectives to complete.

It also features a number of different flying machines, ranging from jet packs, to mini-helicopters, to a giant pair of wings. Each handle VERY differently, as do the characters that use them. Some of the larger characters may be better with the jet pack, and so on.

Your objectives are usually rather simple, such as flying through rings, landing on the bullseye and so on. But they're VERY fun in a strange kind of way. PW 64 also featured objectives such as shooting rockets at a giant metal beast, taking photos of stuff all over the island and even launching yourself out of a cannon to hit a mountain.

It's the solitude that makes it a good game. You're all alone, flying around fantastic looking landscapes, maybe with some nice instrumental music in your CD player or something? PW 64 featured some odd music at times....

If you're looking an action game, this won't be your cup of tea. It does clench at the heart at times with it's frantic objectives, but there's no gore, or crapping on people from above *sigh* what a great objective that'd be =P

Oh yeah, PW 64 featured sky-diving as well, that was great fun. Hopefully Factor 5 will give them birth again in the GC version...

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 05:27:57 PM »
Hmmm...sounds interesting..maybe i'll check out the first 2
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
RE: Somebody explain Pilotwings to me
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 05:51:38 PM »
I rented the n64 one, and it did not entertain me at all.  I went back to playing Mario
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 05:52:32 PM »
oh yeah definatly, to look at its a really relaxing game, but after spending an hour or so trying to get a gold medal and to only miss by a few points... well... HULK SMASH!!

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 06:05:56 PM »
It's certainly not for everyone.  If you're into sim games with a twist, you should look into it.  I rented the SNES version and thought it was interesting, but nothing I'd want to buy or play long.  It was fun to fly around, but completing objectives and getting high points was rather frustrating.  I'd imagine the game would be better with an analog controller (n64, gc), but it's still a flight sim.  Granted, the replay value is much much higher than most flight sims, but it's still a flight sim.

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 06:50:07 PM »
Pilotwings on the SNES is fantastic. Never tried the N64 one though.

Look ma, it's my Pilotwings license A number, 985206.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 07:15:18 PM »
Is it more of a cartoony style game physics and graphics wise (like a mario kart) or more of a quasi realistic type game (like a wave race)?  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 10:09:42 PM »
A mixture of both.
The characters were very cartoony like, but the landscapes were realistic, and wind played a big part in the game, much like the water in Wave Race did..

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 10:48:27 PM »
Wait a second?  Factor Five making a new Pilotwings game?  How did I miss this news?

LINKS!  I DEMAND LINKS PEOPLE!!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 11:23:24 PM »
I typed up a big long reply to this, and I would have posted it, but the forums wouldn't let me at the time.  

I did save it in a txt file though, so I will post it tomorrow at some point.  The problem is that I saved it on a network drive that I can't access right now.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2003, 12:20:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
A mixture of both.
The characters were very cartoony like, but the landscapes were realistic, and wind played a big part in the game, much like the water in Wave Race did..
Adding a little note to that; Nothing about the original on SNES was cartoony. woop.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2003, 04:54:11 AM »
After playing Pilotwings on the N64, I completely refuse to play the SNES version.

Little States was utterly HUGE! I don't know how they did it, but it's the biggest environment in any game on the N64, even Ocarina of Time. I have to admit though that the levels only look good when you're far from them, like high in the sky. Go close to them, like when playing Jumpman or crashing, then you'll see hideously blurry bitmaps. But the maps were HUGE, and there was so much freedom. SO much more than Mario 64, the pioneer of freedom in games.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2003, 05:03:30 AM »

Originally posted by: AGENTDICKLAURENTAdding a little note to that; Nothing about the original on SNES was cartoony. woop.

Well, except maybe the flight instructors' color commentary after the events.    

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 05:57:21 AM »

Originally posted by: FFantasyFX
Well, except maybe the flight instructors' color commentary after the events.  
Well.. not "cartoony", as in, 'Pilotwings 64 cartoony'.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2003, 08:16:36 AM »
I dont know, what you guys say doesnt sound bad, but it doesnt sound overwhelming either.
What kinda reviews did Pilotwings get. Did it sell well?
LZ 2005

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2003, 02:20:44 PM »
All Pilotwings got excellent reviews. I'm pretty sure both sold very well. Pilotwings SNES because it rocked, first game to utilise Mode7 and kicking arse. Pilotwings 64, launch-title for N64... golden.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2003, 05:13:17 PM »
This was the second game I played for my N64 (right behind Super Mario 64).  I went on to buy some 18 more N64 games and I know I clocked the second largest amount of time on this game (right behind Super Mario 64).  So, to put it simply, yes, it was that good.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2003, 07:55:13 PM »
Yeah, my story is about the same as Kenny's.  It was my first N64 game, and I think it's still my most well-used one.  It's just fun to play.  Here's the description I wrote the other day but the forums wouldn't let me post it:

It's a toned down flight simulator is the best way of describing it.

The controls are not overly complex, and FUN is the major selling point of the game.  You get to choose a variety of vehicles, and you have to get your "license" for each of them.  Getting your beginner's license is really easy, and is just there to get you familiar with the craft you are flying.  The tests get progressively harder, until you are ripping your hair out trying to do them.  The later ones require you to perform some quite hard feats.

Regardless of your aircraft type, or mission goal, when you land your craft, you are awarded a score based upon how well you did your mission.  Common scoring methods include: Landing precision, Time on mission, Targets hit, Targets missed, etc.

If you have an N64, I would reccomend trying out Pilotwings 64.  It remains one of my favorites on the system (and my oldest N64 game.  I got it at launch), and I have actually gotten perfect scores on all tests no less than 3 times.  

Just to give an example of a level in a Pilotwings game, I will describe "River Run" from Pilotwings 64 (my favorite level)

River Run begins on an airstrip in Little States, and you are in a Gyrocopter.  The mission goal is to fly through all the rings that are floating in the sky.  You take off and start flying through rings, and you fly over a boat, and over a hill, then it becomes apparent that you are supposed to fly straight down the Mississippi River.  On the river are bridges, boats, and all kinds of stuff that you can run into.  I have perfected it however, so that I can fly down the river at full speed, except for a single sharp corner.  After you have flown down the river, you get ready to land in Miami, where a Space Shuttle is taking off from Cape Canaveral (sp?).  As the shuttle goes out of sight, you land on the airstrip with a bit of a crosswind.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2003, 08:39:31 PM »
My fave level just has to be the ones where you use the gyrocopter and shoot missiles at the balloons. The ones that come to mind is the Little States one in the Grand Canyon and the Snow Islands one. The Hanglider ones were pretty hard, especially the one where you have to swoop down at full speed along a waterfall and fly through as many rings as possible, and then pull a hard right just missing the big cliff face in front of you. Then you have to use the wind spirals to get back up and land on the target. That one was heart pumping.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2003, 09:00:37 PM »
Well, I just loved the feel of the hang glider and the gyrocopter, so I would spend most of my time in the game in those levels.  I got quite precise with the gyrocopter I must say.  

I also loved the Rocket Pack level where you had to fly through the cave though, simply because it was so technical.  

The last Gyrocopter level on the Snowy Island, where you had to fly through all the rings also holds a special place in my heart, as it was the last level I got a perfect score on in my first time through the game.  It's a difficult level, and I can actually do it fairly well now.  It might take me 10 tries, but I can get a perfect score on it fairly easily now.

But yeah, I loved the Chicken Dive too.    I became quite good at that one, although I would always bank left at the last minute instead of right.