Author Topic: No Online Play for NBA Jam on Wii  (Read 13025 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
No Online Play for NBA Jam on Wii
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version that comes with new copies of NBA Elite 11 will have online play, though.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23990

There will be no online support for NBA Jam on Wii, according to a Twitter post from EA Sports Community Manager Alain Quinto.

This follows the development team's comments about how they would only have online if they could get it working well. Various progress reports said they couldn't get it running at 60 frames per second, which is something Creative Director Trey Smith was adamant about maintaining in online play.

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of the game, which comes with new copies of NBA Elite 11, will feature online play, along with exhibition and the classic campaign.

NBA Jam is set for an October 5 release date, and is currently listed for $49.99 at most retailers. In addition to the classic campaign, it will also feature a robust Remix mode that adds boss battles and more brand new modes.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: No Online Play for NBA Jam on Wii
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
Wow.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
If they could have locked a solid 30fps, that would be better than no online.

so as I said in the other thread earlier, this better be a $30 release.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
so as I said in the other thread earlier, this better be a $30 release.

Part of the reason why I point out that it's still listed as $50 in the news story.

I'm still excited for the game, and I have faith in the Remix mode and cadre of unlockables that are exclusive to the Wii version (I think/hope), but this might leave a bad taste in the internet fan base's mouths. I might still be there day one, and our man Andy will most certainly be there to review it, but this does kind of suck.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »
I have to wonder just what aspect of the system is making it so they can't hit their mark.  Is it Wii system resources or the network code?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »
what burns even more than the no online on the Wii version is the fact that they are giving the online version away for free with NBA Elite on PS360 yet the Wii version is still listed @ $50 retail.

that price HAS to come down.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »
I really think EA is just being lazy considering that a majority of EA Sports games on Wii have online functions.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
I really think EA is just being lazy considering that a majority of EA Sports games on Wii have online functions.

I highly doubt that, especially since most of those EA Sports games have really terrible online (not in terms of lag but in terms of content)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
I really don't know why this should be a surprise to anyone.  Considering the Wii's weak online infrastructure and the lack of Wii owners taking their Wiis online (as Nintendo has openly admitted), I wouldn't have expected online support for NBA JAM.  It's disappointing considering it's a functionality that the HD consoles are getting for free, but considering the technical problems with Wii online play I'm not sure it could have been avoided or desired.

NBA JAM has a lot to live up to on Wii now.  Most of the features anyone cares about are going to be available for free (with the purchase of NBA Elite), so a lot rests on the game's pricing and the strength of the Wii-exclusive Remix mode.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
I have to wonder just what aspect of the system is making it so they can't hit their mark.  Is it Wii system resources or the network code?
I think it's just general incompetence. Mario Strikers Charged has a setup pretty similar to NBA Jam, in that it has a field/court which doesn't move much, and probably the same number of moving characters, and it runs pretty smoothly online. It is region-restricted, sure, which may help it run better, but I don't think anyone really cares that much about that.

Considering the Wii's weak online infrastructure
It's only as weak or as strong as the developer chooses it to be.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »

Quite true, but Nintendo didn't do anyone any favors when it designed the Wii's online features.

At the moment, I'm not sure which version of the game I'll play.  If the version that comes with Elite lets me take my dream team of John Stockton and Karl Malone (with Deron Williams playing backup) against Jordan and Pippen (with Rodman playing backup), I'll go with that since it's free.  If only the Wii version lets me do that, I'll get that one.  I'm still somewhat indifferent about NBA Elite, so that's not a huge deciding factor.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »
I really don't know why this should be a surprise to anyone.  Considering the Wii's weak online infrastructure and the lack of Wii owners taking their Wiis online (as Nintendo has openly admitted), I wouldn't have expected online support for NBA JAM.  It's disappointing considering it's a functionality that the HD consoles are getting for free, but considering the technical problems with Wii online play I'm not sure it could have been avoided or desired.

NBA JAM has a lot to live up to on Wii now.  Most of the features anyone cares about are going to be available for free (with the purchase of NBA Elite), so a lot rests on the game's pricing and the strength of the Wii-exclusive Remix mode.

Got a link to that statement Broodwars?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
This is a PR nightmare. The average dumbass holiday shopper may still buy the Wii version for $50, but gamers will not. It just breeds contempt for the company, of which EA could already use less.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »

Got a link to that statement Broodwars?

Not a new one, no.  It's just something that's come up from Nintendo whenever they've discussed the Virtual Console and WiiWare (remember the program they initiated to try to get people to bring their friends online via promotions with the Wii Shop Channel in Europe?).  Unfortunately, that's as far as I can discuss the matter.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
Just because as many people as Nintendo would like aren't using the Shop Channel doesn't show who is and isn't playing games online. Unfortunately there aren't very many facts out there on the matter, so a lot of it is conjecture. I would point out that the best-selling online-enabled game of all time is on Wii (Mario Kart Wii), but there's no way to know exactly how many people play it online or purchased it for that purpose.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
At the moment, I'm not sure which version of the game I'll play.  If the version that comes with Elite lets me take my dream team of John Stockton and Karl Malone (with Deron Williams playing backup) against Jordan and Pippen (with Rodman playing backup), I'll go with that since it's free.  If only the Wii version lets me do that, I'll get that one.  I'm still somewhat indifferent about NBA Elite, so that's not a huge deciding factor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way that Jordan will be in this game. As far as I recall, Jordan has never been in a basketball video game that I have played (and no, Chaos in the Windy City does not count). Besides, the big deal about NBA 2K11 is that Jordan IS in that game, isn't it?

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 11:28:32 PM »
Losing Wii-exclusive status, now losing online play. It seems that fans of the original would say that this title has lost significant value.  :(
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way that Jordan will be in this game. As far as I recall, Jordan has never been in a basketball video game that I have played (and no, Chaos in the Windy City does not count). Besides, the big deal about NBA 2K11 is that Jordan IS in that game, isn't it?

If I remember correctly, and I think it was mentioned in the NBA Jam thread, but Jordan was in an Arcade version of NBA Jam back in the day. But I doubt he'll be in this version since he just signed to be on the cover of some 2K Sports BBall game.

edit:

A little piece of trivia Jordan was in the arcade version of NBA Jam back in the day but it was like the early version of NBA Jam.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:48:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Ugh. I'm probably just going to get the PS3 version now.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »
Dasmos, your avatar is scarier than BnM's, and that's saying something.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
You don't like Kirby?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 03:06:23 AM »
Dasmos, your avatar is scarier than BnM's, and that's saying something.
Do buff black men scare you?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:02:11 AM »
I still think this is hilarious since EA typically doesn't even use Nintendo Wi-Fi, they use EA Nation.  It's even funnier that Konami recently came out swinging with how they are improving PES 2011 on Wii and one of their improvements this year is improved Nintendo Wi-Fi support. I know it's different sports but Wii is more than capable of providing a good online experience if the developers put effort into it.  Just look at the stuff Capcom did with Monster Hunter Tri, that game has arguably one of the best online modes on Wii period.

Seriously though, EA needs to stop being lazy on Wii.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
EA are masters of making online work for sports games. They've done it for years.

They have online working in the PS3/360 versions.

It doesn't work on Wii.

We constantly hear stories about online sucking on Wii.

Nintendo as a first party has even had failures (Smash Bros.).

How exactly are we making the logical leap that this is somehow because EA is lazy?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
EA are masters of making online work for sports games. They've done it for years.

They have online working in the PS3/360 versions.

It doesn't work on Wii.

We constantly hear stories about online sucking on Wii.

Nintendo as a first party has even had failures (Smash Bros.).

How exactly are we making the logical leap that this is somehow because EA is lazy?

I think it's just general incompetence. Mario Strikers Charged has a setup pretty similar to NBA Jam, in that it has a field/court which doesn't move much, and probably the same number of moving characters, and it runs pretty smoothly online. It is region-restricted, sure, which may help it run better, but I don't think anyone really cares that much about that.