Author Topic: I preordered the Little Big Planet 2 Special Edition (Little Big Planet 2 Topic)  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
This is the first special edition I've ever gone for and I feel kind of dirty for it.  It runs 20 dollars more and includes 11 in-game costumes, 5 PSN avatars, a 7-inch Sackboy, and Sackboy Book-ends.

During my buying decision, it's kind of funny what part of the bundle threw me over the edge.  It was the damn in-game costumes! I know it's horse armor, but I just can't stop buying that stuff and I know I would have ended up buying those 11 costumes anyway.

I'm very psyched for this release.  Purchased additional PS3 controllers so I now have four and am totally prepared for multiplayer fun.  It's totally awesome that all purchases and levels made in the first game will carry through to this release.  I recently started buying the Marvel costumes and levels and they are all a ton of fun.

I wonder if I'll be able to get the LBP 1 platinum trophy before the release of 2. Anyone here want to help me?

Also, bonus costumes are totally randomly awesome. Gonzo comes out of nowhere!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:38:02 AM by Pale »
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I thought the gameplay in the first game sucked, I will wait for the sequel to drop to $20 before trying it so I don't get fooled by reviews like I did for the first. I would have considered this bundle if it was $60, no chance I would even consider paying $80 for it.

I do like the Gonzo costume though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:35:56 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Yeah, I wasn't that thrilled by the first LittleBigPlanet, which I thought had an interesting premise but bad level design and gameplay.  I still think they're way over-reaching focusing on allowing you to create a game from nearly any genre when the core platforming was as bad as it was.  I might check out LittleBigPlanet 2 in the future, but it depends greatly on if Media Molecule can actually back up their boasting this time and deliver a compelling experience regardless of whether you have any interest in creating levels.  The first game just felt like one long tutorial for the level creator, rather than an actual single-player experience.

And that special edition is way overpriced.  Of the stuff in that package, only the bookends and plushie are anything altogether special (aka things that shouldn't be in the game already or offered as free DLC).  That's more of a $70 than a $80 special edition.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
I thought the gameplay in the first game sucked, I will wait for the sequel to drop to $20 before trying it so I don't get fooled by reviews like I did for the first. I would have considered this bundle if it was $60, no chance I would even consider paying $80 for it.

I do like the Gonzo costume though.

Little Big Planet's platforming physics are definitely an acquired taste.  One thing that is important to realize is that the more sticky platforming that Mario has always pioneered is also an acquired taste, we are all just used to it.

If I had to pick, I would say I prefer Mario's physics more, but I don't dislike Little Big Planet.  I have several family members, including my wife, that have just recently been introduced to platformers.  I've played both NSMB and LBP with them.  I'm surprised the number of them that do actually prefer LBP.  While the floatiness is frustrating for us, it actually often translates as forgiving to newcomers.

So yeah, I dont' think either style is wrong, and I appreciate playing both of them on occasion.

If it isn't the floatiness that bothers you, then it has to be the depth changing.  And if that's the case, I'll say to you what I say to everyone. It's frustrating in the beginning.  But battle through it and you will eventually grasp what and how the engine autoshifts your character between depths.  Once you fully grasp this, the frustration almost entirely melts away.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
And that special edition is way overpriced.  Of the stuff in that package, only the bookends and plushie are anything altogether special (aka things that shouldn't be in the game already or offered as free DLC).  That's more of a $70 than a $80 special edition.
While I'm not going to argue against the thought of costumes being free, if you realize that they are currently selling costumes for roughly 2 bucks a piece and I'm crazy enough to lap them up, you'll see why it's a good deal to me.

Or, alternatively, you'll see how much of a horse-armor whore that game somehow turned me into.
---------------------

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
I've been thinking of getting the special edition too.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I also really didn't like the first one. It was one of the first games I bought when I got my PS3, and it was just incredibly disappointing. Even if I were able to adjust to the floatiness and the depth changing, I don't think I could get past the nearly universally awful, boring level design.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Dunno, since the first wave of user generated content games I've realized that there's no point in buying a UGC game when I can already develop games properly.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Half of LBP charm comes for the fact that it has an editor--hense the 2 million+ levels created for it by the community.  Wonder, did you create any levels Pale? 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Building a game around a level editor doesn't work. Claiming that every level in the game can be made in the editor is less of a statement about the high quality of the level editor and more of a statement about the low quality of the built-in levels.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Half of LBP charm comes for the fact that it has an editor--hense the 2 million+ levels created for it by the community.  Wonder, did you create any levels Pale? 
I have built plenty of things... but haven't published anything. The polish needed just takes too much time. I really want to publish something eventually.

Building a game around a level editor doesn't work. Claiming that every level in the game can be made in the editor is less of a statement about the high quality of the level editor and more of a statement about the low quality of the built-in levels.
I'm not sure how to argue this point with you, but I could not disagree with you more. The levels in LBP are very inspired and fun. They do some seriously crazy things. The huge spinning end boss level is amazing.  The flying fire snake level is also cool.

Combine that with what was done in the expansion packs (Metal Gear, Pirates, Marvel) and the game really shines.  I very rarely play community levels and I still think LBP is worth every penny of the asking price.
---------------------

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It very well may have gotten better as it went along; I didn't come anywhere close to finishing it because I couldn't stand playing it.

J.P. Corbran