Author Topic: Thinking about getting an iPhone... coverage question...  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Thinking about getting an iPhone... coverage question...
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
So I want to get an iPhone.  In order to do so I have to switch my entire family plan (includes myself, my wife, and my sister-in-law) from Verizon to AT&T.  I'm worried that I won't be happy with the network.

The key wrinkle is that my sister-in-law lives out in the sticks and the phone has to work for her inside her house.  Checking AT&T's map (http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/?wtSlotClick=1-001FIO-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction) It says she is all the way in "good" reception, but closer to "moderate" than she is to "best".

So my question, is there anyone out there that uses AT&T in a spot marked as "good" on their map?  If so, are you able to use it without dropping calls inside a building?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about getting an iPhone... coverage question...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »
I'm in a place that has all three I guess.

I occasionally get a dropped call, but it's nothing too serious. Honestly, I think their biggest problem with 3G is that the network continues to be overwhelmed with all the data people use....but that's only what I've read. I have 4 people close to me that have the iphone (jailbroken) and they have yet to report problems with their speed or connection.

I don't think you have much to worry about.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
I don't have an iPhone, but I can relay experiences of my friends/coworkers since many of them have one.  They seem to have trouble in certain buildings.  I remember this trouble back when I had AT&T, but that was in a more rural area-- this is in the Bay Area.  Even slightly outside of the city, their signal goes to crap when I can get signal in those areas as well as in the buildings in which they have trouble.  Their phones also cause electromagnetic interference, which you can often hear on speakers.  I think the most damning situation was when I was in Chicago recently for a conference.  According to their map, Chicago should be one of the best locations for their service, yet I saw numerous people in awkward positions or waving their iPhones around because they couldn't get a signal-- it was actually a major topic of discussion for attendees.  We're not even talking about data, just basic voice calls.  I had a strong signal with no problems on Verizon.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
Yeah, basic voice calls is all I'm worried about as she wouldn't be getting an iphone.... According to the map I'm in the heart of 3G by me... but who knows really.

The last thing I want is for them to be yelling at me for making them switch to AT&T for not good reason.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
Just get a Droid on Verizon. It is basically Verizon's iPhone as it has all the same hardware (cpu/gpu) with a bigger screen and on a better network with the inclusion of Google Maps GPS. The android market also has pretty much all the same "useful" apps that the iPhone does.

It would be less of a hassle and not inconvenience anyone else on your plan either.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Heh, yeah.. i'm considering it but I have two things holding me back, neither of which have anything to do with the Droid itself.

1. I'm developing iPhone stuff for work (and eventually pleasure)
2. I'm a completely mac household so I appreciate how nice an iPhone will sync with my puters. (I never thought it'd reach this point in my computer buying life. =P)
---------------------

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
If you're willing to spend a little money I'd suggest buying buying an AT&T prepaid phone so you can actually try out the handset where you'll use it.  You can get a cheap one for $30--$20 or $25 on sale.  They come with a $15 card which will be plenty for what you need.

As a bonus, you'll have a spare phone in case one of your family-members' phones breaks in the future.  All you'll need to do is put in your SIM card which takes about 30 seconds.  (Unfortunately, you won't be able to easily swap out the SIM card in an iPhone so you won't be able to use it as a spare phone for yourself.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »
i'm working on convincing one of my coworkers to let me borrow their phone for the weekend.  I think he'll do it.

Even with that I'm worried that in the long run it will still be a frustration though. :-/
---------------------

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »
I'll have to take a look. I live next to the mountains and I went from verizon to atnt iPhone. The AtnT service is 3x better in terms of dropped coverage and strong signals. No regrets at all after 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:49 PM »
I keep hearing that people on AT&T with regular phones actually get reception in places the iPhone doesn't.
So I'm not sure if using a different phone will be an accurate test or not.

However I didn't know that "Their phones also cause electromagnetic interference, which you can often hear on speakers." so that might be part of the reason.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
It's not limited to iPhones -- the GSM communication protocol causes it.  But iPhones seem to be sending out the initiation sequence much more than I've seen other phones do.  I have to wonder if reception is better on Verizon not just because of coverage, but because the CDMA protocol is superior -- it was originally developed by the military.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
I really haven't run into any major coverage problems with my iPhone it seems to work virtually everywhere.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
Wait, Pale got married? Congratulations!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »
Heh yeah, in June.  It's been a crazy year.  New position at work. Marriage. Great honeymoon. Bought my first house.

Hence why I haven't done much for NWR.  :-/
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »
Wait, Pale got married? Congratulations!

How rude! I hope Pale puts you on his hit list.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
Word of warning, i have heard that AT&T regularly has capacity problems so much because of the iPhone that calls only have a 35% success rate. Similar faults also happen here on O2 UK.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/03/att_image_problems/

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »
As an iPhone user, I can tell you that AT&T's network sucks.  I'm in DC, and I randomly lose signal.  During our homecoming, I probably had a 1 and 5 success rate with making calls because the sudden influx of customers. And that's at best.  At worst, it would take me 10+ tries to get someone, connecting maybe twice and actually having a conversation by the 10th call.  Usually, I get good reception though with just a few dropped calls here and there (but more that I feel I should).

Honestly, I love my iPhone.  I love having it, owning it, wasting time on it, w/e.  AT&T just pisses me off.  It'll be a serious downgrade from Verizon's network.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
In the year that I've had my iPhone I don't really have any complaints about the voice coverage.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
Well, my AT&T test failed. This post coming from my new Droid. Very confused so far but screen is amazing. Taking this to the Droid thread.
---------------------

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:15 PM »
!!!! I hope my enthusiasm helped make your decision!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 05:15:40 AM »
I hate the iPhone.  Just isn't something I like.  Almost everyone in my immediate family has one, but I can't stand 'em.

The initial things I felt the iPhone was marketed for was the touchscreen, accelerometers, web browser, multimedia capabilities, and last but not least, to serve as a decent cell phone.  In my experience using it, it really doesn't do any of those things well.

I can't type using the screen with any rapid success.  I miss keys, I hit extra buttons, the words suggested often aren't what I want, and for some reason however I touch the screen makes it fill in the word anyways, half the time, etc, etc.  A lot of the time, the basic "zoom" has some trouble, or it lags upon the touch, so you wind up zooming too far.  Problems like that just annoy me.  I've heard various degrees of success with utilizing the touch screen, but most people merely say "I've gotten better at it," then as I watch, they continue to struggle.  When my dad sends a text, he tries to spell things properly and doesn't proofread his message.  The end result is that I feel as though I've received a message from an eight-year old child.

You've got accelerometers, which just don't function very well.  I'm judging this solely on the phone's capability to rotate the screen, which is often inconsistent.  I've picked it up, and done a 90 degree rotation without the screen changing, or have seen it actual perform a 90 degree rotation in the opposite direction.  What I've found is that the best way to make the screen turn how you wish it is to add 180 degrees to the way you've oriented the device, and just work on the opposite side.  Annoying, again.

There's not much wrong with the web-browser, though having too many pages can slow down the phone and such.  The biggest issue is the "touch-to-click, but also touch-to-scroll" concept.  It doesn't work for me.  I'll often try to scroll, and sites that have large buttons, like ESPN.com's scoreboard pages, don't really function all that well.  Still, this is the best feature of the iPhone, and is the one thing I enjoy, as the web-browser does function well in almost all other areas.  I'd say it's an annoying issue, but overall, this is the one thing I'd give passing marks to.

As far as multimedia goes, it's really not a good device.  I was under the impression, originally, that the iPhone was meant to combine your iPod and your phone into one.  Truth is, it's got such miserable memory and such poor battery life that if you're expecting to use it for media capabilities, it'll fill up quick and die fast, so there's very little versatility.  Oh, and what about that headset port?  Good luck plugging in any random set of headphones without a converter. Too bad they didn't place a standard jack on the device.  It has a nice size screen for movies, though.

You certainly can't forget utilizing the iPhone as a phone, can you?  Afterall, it's in its name, isn't it?  Yes, it is.  This is the biggest issue, and likely an issue I'd have with other "smart phones," too.  Shape.  The iPhone isn't shaped like a phone.  It's not built like a phone.  It doesn't pick up your voice when you press it to your ear.  You can't hear it when you speak into the receiver.  It just doesn't work well.  Half of nearly every conversation I've had with the iPhone has consisted of attempting to line the speaker up with my ear so I can actually hear, and then losing the position when I shift the phone some to speak into it.  Maybe it's not really an issue with the iPhone, maybe it truly had something to do with service.  Of course, AT&T's coverage with the iPhone is so terrible that it's difficult to hold a clear conversation from beginning to end in just about anywhere I've used the phone.  It just has been a lot of trouble, and really isn't worth it to me.

Now, then, of course I know apps have recently come into the picture, but to be honest, apps are independent of the phone, and exist on all of them.  In some cases, they're good.  In some cases, they're basically internet browser shortcuts that take up a lot of physical memory on a device that doesn't have nearly enough to begin with.  In some cases, they're just for little fun jokes, and in similar cases, they're just terrible.  Apple does control the flow of apps, as competitors like Google have struggled to get things through, I've read, but all in all, apps really aren't a selling point to me on a in the "smart" category, because you can get them elsewhere on all the other smart phones.  Maybe not the same ones, but if there's a market for a smart phone app, one will appear sooner or later, so you won't miss much until then.  Or you can write your own and sell it, or something.  Either way, you win about as much as owning an iPhone wins with apps.

So that's my reasoning as to why I really don't like it.  I feel it doesn't work well, and that if I need more experience than about two or three hour's time total to get a hand's on feeling, I just don't want to waste that time.

For what it's worth, I'm even glad that Pale didn't get the phone.  That's right, I wouldn't wish it on my enemies, it's that bad.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
The iPhone does have a standard headphone jack, just like every iPod.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize there actually is a difference with the iPhone headphone jack and the iPod touch. That's retarded. That fact alone is enough to not buy one. Why throw all this money down on a data plan and new phone when you can't simply plug in your favorite headphones without a ridiculous adapter, or hacking up the connector.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
I'm fairly certain that's just the original iPhone model; I have a 3G and have used several different non-Apple (I may be an Apple fanboy but I'm not enough of one to argue Apple's iPhone/iPod earbuds don't suck) headphones with it and haven't had any issues.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 10:06:45 AM »
Ah, it could have changed.  The particular jack issue I reference is one realized a year ago, some night there was a Gator game, IIRC.