Author Topic: Rock Band 2?  (Read 90010 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Band 2?
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
I am probably going to skip GHIV barring any big differences. The music creation aspect of GHIV is pretty lame to me because you can't record vocals, I'm not interested in anything else!

thats cuz gurlz can't rock they just want to sing like snow white.

get a kareoke machine
They sell those at Target.

they also sell ipode kareoke machines at Toys R us.

Know what they sell at both?

Rock Band.

THREAD RE-RAILED

[insert reversed DEREAILED GIF]
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
Well, on the subject, I'm getting GH:WT. GH came to the Wii first, so it won my money. Whether or not I buy all the instruments in another matter entirely. I might get a mic, if I decide to get GH:A with an extra guitar. This would allow me to play it here, during my internship.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »
Well, on the subject, I'm getting GH:WT. GH came to the Wii first, so it won my money. Whether or not I buy all the instruments in another matter entirely. I might get a mic, if I decide to get GH:A with an extra guitar. This would allow me to play it here, during my internship.

So? Guitar Hero 3 came out before Rock Band on all 3 systems. My problem with Guitar Hero now is Activision lost focus on the franchise and went to whore out mode with it. GH: OT was a experiment that was a good try but felt like they fumbled it, GH: Aerosmith is just a band specific expansion that reviewers ended up saying that it is a rental at best. GH: WT just feels like a forceful snub at Rock Band that could ultimately backfire.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
 you really feel that way?

I don't normally like using arguments like this, that make it sound like i'll believe anything a dev/publisher spews out, but Activision has been planning on expanding on the Hero series for awhile now. I remember back when GH2 came out i'd read news on a Drum Hero project and thinking "that could be really cool or really dumb". Part of what i thought would be dumb is they made it sound like they were planning it as a stand alone title.

I dunno, maybe i'm just not fanboy enough to get into the Harmonix vs Neversoft debates or feel that GH is just trying to be RB. I just feel that a game Band game is a natural evolution from a single Guitar game, so why does it matter what title it falls under? If Harmonix had never split from Activision they would of already had GH:WT by now.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »

I don't normally like using arguments like this, that make it sound like i'll believe anything a dev/publisher spews out, but Activision has been planning on expanding on the Hero series for awhile now. I remember back when GH2 came out i'd read news on a Drum Hero project and thinking "that could be really cool or really dumb". Part of what i thought would be dumb is they made it sound like they were planning it as a stand alone title.

I dunno, maybe i'm just not fanboy enough to get into the Harmonix vs Neversoft debates or feel that GH is just trying to be RB. I just feel that a game Band game is a natural evolution from a single Guitar game, so why does it matter what title it falls under? If Harmonix had never split from Activision they would of already had GH:WT by now.

GH2 was developed by Harmonix, and the idea of a Drum Hero did come to fruition; through Rock Band. Harmonix just made a better GH IMO and I personally will be sticking by them and their contributions. Like I said before, Activision is doing a better job with the Wii platform due to the completely idiocy of EA/MTV.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »

Yes I do, there are 4 different guitar hero games in one fiscal year which clearly shows that the franchise is really getting whored out (GH:Aerosmith, on tour, world tour, metallica). Even though adding more instruments in music game is an "evolution" the problem is activision is doing that while clinging on the Guitar Hero name for dear life.

GH:2 DLC doesnt work with GH:3, GH:3 DLC doesnt work with GH:Aerosmith nor it will with GH: World Tour.   Rock Band DLC is compatible with RB2 which will help ease people with their RB1 investments.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
Well, I see some legal issues.

1)Bands complaining because they find out fans have created their music and VOCALS on Guitar Hero and are distributing it online without them getting a penny of royalties.

Other issues have already been discussed. 

Golden:  Yeah, I understand without vocals it could be lost interest...I just think you can work around it.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »

Yes I do, there are 4 different guitar hero games in one fiscal year which clearly shows that the franchise is really getting whored out (GH:Aerosmith, on tour, world tour, metallica). Even though adding more instruments in music game is an "evolution" the problem is activision is doing that while clinging on the Guitar Hero name for dear life.

GH:2 DLC doesnt work with GH:3, GH:3 DLC doesnt work with GH:Aerosmith nor it will with GH: World Tour.   Rock Band DLC is compatible with RB2 which will help ease people with their RB1 investments.

I like this argument much better. I can see where you're coming from with it. I'm not going to argue your points either because you seem like an avid guitar hero/rock band fan where as i'm not, but i just want to point out that Both Activision and EA that house the dev teams in charge of both series are infamous when it comes to whoring out franchises that they know will sell millions.

The fact that Rock Band 2 is pretty much announced shows that EA wants to make even more money off the series. GH 1 and 2 didnt' have the luxury of DLC to expand the game further than its installed set list. Rock Band came in an age and on platforms where DLC is almost standard so there really is no reason why they should make a sequel when they can just release tons of new songs and possibly even new modes thru patches via downloads.

But this isn't a perfect world and big companies like EA want to keep the money flowing so instead of releasing nothing but DLC and maybe even some reasonably priced and updated (see: better quality) instruments, we'll get a sequel. And yes, some people with money to burn will buy the sequel (full package with instruments) and throw out the old controllers where as everyone else might just buy the new disc.

Point is, don't expect not to see a Rock Band 3 ever.

Oh and i don't count GH:OT as whoring out because its the first portable in the series. GH: Aerosmith i'll agree on though, a "spin-off" on a game with that style is just a cheap cash in.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
There's DLC for Guitar Hero 2, at least on XBox 360, and quite a bit of it, too.

Anyway, Activision is totally whoring out Guitar Hero, just like they did with Tony Hawk, and recently with Call of Duty (using 2 dev teams even, just so they can have a new one every year now). Every company wants to make money, that's the definition of a business. I hope there isn't a Rock Band 3, or another Guitar Hero. Since DLC will officially be on every system, and there's finally a storage solution via SD cards (and possibly USB HDD support very soon), then there's no need to release a new disc, just keep adding songs to download. DLC for Guitar Hero (2 and 3) is absolutely ridiculous, btw. Every song (besides the free ones) cost more than any song on RockBand, and you only get to use one instrument. You can get 3 for $5 on RockBand (compared to 3 for $6.50 on GH2 and GH3) and you get guitar, drums, and vocals - I'm not counting bass in either game.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

GH:2 DLC doesnt work with GH:3, GH:3 DLC doesnt work with GH:Aerosmith nor it will with GH: World Tour.   Rock Band DLC is compatible with RB2 which will help ease people with their RB1 investments.

I like this argument much better. I can see where you're coming from with it. I'm not going to argue your points either because you seem like an avid guitar hero/rock band fan where as i'm not, but i just want to point out that Both Activision and EA that house the dev teams in charge of both series are infamous when it comes to whoring out franchises that they know will sell millions.

The fact that Rock Band 2 is pretty much announced shows that EA wants to make even more money off the series. GH 1 and 2 didnt' have the luxury of DLC to expand the game further than its installed set list. Rock Band came in an age and on platforms where DLC is almost standard so there really is no reason why they should make a sequel when they can just release tons of new songs and possibly even new modes thru patches via downloads.

But this isn't a perfect world and big companies like EA want to keep the money flowing so instead of releasing nothing but DLC and maybe even some reasonably priced and updated (see: better quality) instruments, we'll get a sequel. And yes, some people with money to burn will buy the sequel (full package with instruments) and throw out the old controllers where as everyone else might just buy the new disc.

Point is, don't expect not to see a Rock Band 3 ever.

Oh and i don't count GH:OT as whoring out because its the first portable in the series. GH: Aerosmith i'll agree on though, a "spin-off" on a game with that style is just a cheap cash in.

Easy you don't get my point there's 4 different guitar hero games(on tour,aerosmith,world tour,metallica) in one company fiscal year, sure On Tour is a portable game but GH:3 was on the cellphone in some way or fashion and in best buy you can spot a Guitar Hero game on one of those little standalone crappy monochrome hand held machines.  The thing that pisses me off about Activision is that they are hellbent on making their peripherals not work with the competition and that's why you see a compatibility matrix that some sites are showing. It really hurts the consumer more than anything because what if a person wants to play both series? They would have to invest in Rock Band instruments and Guitar Hero instruments.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:20:12 PM by Flames_of_chaos »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
I agree, making the instruments not functional interchangeably is probably hurting more than helping. I would be less likely to buy one or the other depending on what I've already invested in.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »
I agree, making the instruments not functional interchangeably is probably hurting more than helping. I would be less likely to buy one or the other depending on what I've already invested in.

Yes and if you own Rock Band for any platform you will know how much space the drum kit takes up physically. Since GH:OT and Rock Band drum kits wont work on the competition's game people will be reluctant to pick up the other one due to how much space it takes up in your room or living room or apartment. If one owns both it will look like the person would have to disassemble one drum kit and assemble the other or find space for both.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »
Or maybe people will just buy Ultimate Band from Disney?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »
Acitivsion is not at fault for the lack of controller compatibility when it comes to the Wii. EA decided to use their crappy little USB dongle, a poor holdover from other consoles, while claim to support "open standards". If they truly wanted to support open standards, they'd use the Wiimote like Activision, but pass the savings onto the customer (unlike Activision).
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 09:15:53 PM »
Acitivsion is not at fault for the lack of controller compatibility when it comes to the Wii. EA decided to use their crappy little USB dongle, a poor holdover from other consoles, while claim to support "open standards". If they truly wanted to support open standards, they'd use the Wiimote like Activision, but pass the savings onto the customer (unlike Activision).

Nope they are at fault when you boot up  guitar hero 3 you see a big black copyright screen that says Activision only allows Guitar Hero branded guitars to be used with this game. Harmonix used USB dongles because they didnt want to force people to slide in a Wii remote in the guitar and they didn't want to deviate much from the existing Rock Band guitars for the Sony and Microsoft platforms.  Activision used the Wii remote in the guitars and drums because it's the easiest and cheapest way to make a instrument wireless.

Harmonix is a company that believes in a open universal peripheral support and Activision is the one that wants to keep its peripherals exclusive to its games so you need to get your facts straight. The only reason that 360 Guitar Hero guitars work with Rock Band is because of Microsoft's intervention but Rock Band guitars don't work with GH games on 360. Harmonix has stated the only way Guitar Hero guitars will work with Rock Band for Wii and PS3 is if Activision allows it and Activision flat out denied it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 01:04:18 AM »
If I get a 360 like I'm planning to is the promise of sturdier drums worth waiting a few months and getting the Rock Band 2 bundle and just the Rock Band 1 game or should I just get the Rock Band 1 bundle and pick up just the game of 2 down the line.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
Well here are some details of Rock Band 2.

- over 80 master tracks
- more female-fronted bands
- tracklist debut at E3
- no music creation mode
- improved peripherals

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
words
more words
even more words

I never even brought up the incompatible instruments, and i agree with you on that. It's stupid to divide the fans of this style game up because the instruments won't work on each game. I wouln't have a problem with Rock Band if i could just buy the game and some (slightly) cheaper secondhand peripherals like the Mic and enjoy those parts of the game, then just buy GH:WT and the drumset (which i like the design of better) when that comes out, as opposed to buying both and stockpiling plastic instruments or buying just one over the other.

And again, i wasn't even arguing you about how many GH's are out or coming out in this year. I don't count a portable game as whoring out of any franchise (i'll admit though i didnt know there was a cell phone game..). I even admited GH:Aerosmith is a quick cash in when WT is around the corner.. and i thought GH:Metallica was only rumored...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:09:50 PM by EasyCure »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 01:00:43 PM »

Nope they are at fault when you boot up  guitar hero 3 you see a big black copyright screen that says Activision only allows Guitar Hero branded guitars to be used with this game. Harmonix used USB dongles because they didnt want to force people to slide in a Wii remote in the guitar and they didn't want to deviate much from the existing Rock Band guitars for the Sony and Microsoft platforms.  Activision used the Wii remote in the guitars and drums because it's the easiest and cheapest way to make a instrument wireless.

Harmonix is a company that believes in a open universal peripheral support and Activision is the one that wants to keep its peripherals exclusive to its games so you need to get your facts straight. The only reason that 360 Guitar Hero guitars work with Rock Band is because of Microsoft's intervention but Rock Band guitars don't work with GH games on 360. Harmonix has stated the only way Guitar Hero guitars will work with Rock Band for Wii and PS3 is if Activision allows it and Activision flat out denied it.

We're not talking about the other systems. Nyko's guitar works just fine with Guitar Hero on the Wii, so why can't Harmonix's?. Utlizing the Wiimote in such a way is the obvious route to take, as it's exactly what we were initially promised the remote would be possible of doing--having various shells for different games. The only problem that I have with Activision's decision is that they're still charging $60 for a guitar that rides off of the remote's functionality. Harmonix came to the Wii party late, it was there responsibility to ensure controller compatibility if they were truly concerned with such. Even if not, Activision's way is flat out better.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 02:02:29 PM »
No GH: Metallica was mentioned by Activision for an '09 release. I predict it will wipe the floor with GH: Aerosmith's sales (you bet your ass I'll buy it), and probably sell close to GH3's totals.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 02:11:25 PM »
Do we know if it will be guitar-only?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »

We're not talking about the other systems. Nyko's guitar works just fine with Guitar Hero on the Wii, so why can't Harmonix's?. Utlizing the Wiimote in such a way is the obvious route to take, as it's exactly what we were initially promised the remote would be possible of doing--having various shells for different games. The only problem that I have with Activision's decision is that they're still charging $60 for a guitar that rides off of the remote's functionality. Harmonix came to the Wii party late, it was there responsibility to ensure controller compatibility if they were truly concerned with such. Even if not, Activision's way is flat out better.

In a way your wrong while it can seem the obvious route to put in a wii remote and make it wireless as the easiest route for EA and Harmonix its even easier to keep the current hardware line and not make a specific line for specific Wii components all they had to do is make a dongle that works with the Wii check. The microphone is just a standard USB microphone check. The drums is exactly the same as the 360 and PS2/PS3 except with a white paint job and the Wii LEDs. I have a feeling that EA/MTV didnt want to have issues with Activision and Red Octane since afterall activision only wants you to use their hardware only for their game.

When the issue with the PS3 happened harmonix wrote a letter to their fans:

"Hi Everyone,

As we have said in the past, Harmonix and MTV Games believe in an open standard philosophy of hardware and game compatibility. We think that there should be interoperability between music instrument controllers across all music games. This is clearly in the best interest of consumers, game developers and console manufacturers and will only help to grow the music game genre as well as inspire innovation and creativity.

Two weeks ago, Harmonix created a software patch for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3 version of Rock Band that allowed for guitar compatibility and support for third party peripherals, including enabling use of Activision's Guitar Hero III controller with Rock Band. The compatibility patch was submitted, approved and had been scheduled for release by Sony on Tuesday, December 4. Unfortunately, Activision objected to the compatibility patch's release. The patch remains with Sony, but we have been told that it will unfortunately not be released due to Activision's continued objection.

As is the case with the Microsoft Xbox360, we believe that Sony PLAYSTATION 3 users should be able to use the peripheral of their choice with Rock Band. We sincerely hope that Activision will reverse its decision and allow release of the compatibility patch and further, that Activision will allow Guitar Hero III to support Rock Band guitar controllers as well. We welcome all third party developers who wish to support our controllers and will provide any required support in order for them to do so.

We believe that when consumers have choice, everyone wins. Harmonix and MTV Games hope that Activision and others will also adopt this philosophy.

Sincerely,
The Harmonix Team"

And the rock band wii faqs:

Will Wii's Rock Band be compatible with Wii's Guitar Hero III guitar?
Harmonix and MTV Games believe in an open standard philosophy of hardware and game compatibility. We think that there should be interoperability between music instrument controllers across all music games. This is clearly in the best interest of consumers, game developers and console manufacturers and will only help to grow the music game genre as well as inspire innovation and creativity. Third-party developers and publishers are welcome to freely support the Rock Band peripherals in their games. Support for the GHIII guitar peripherals in Rock Band on the Wii was not possible without Activision's permission. Therefore, any questions regarding lack of compatibility with GHIII hardware should be directed to Activision. [In other words: No.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »
ahahaha get FUKT music game makers.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »
More ample reasoning to stick with GH.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
More ample reasoning to stick with GH.

What's your ample reasoning?