Author Topic: Final Fantasy Explorers Localization Announced  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Final Fantasy Explorers Localization Announced
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:52:44 AM »

The hunting action/Final Fantasy fusion is coming into a loaded field.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40857/final-fantasy-explorers-localization-announced

Final Fantasy Explorers will hit the 3DS in January 2016.

The hunting action title, released in Japan last December, will come out in North America on January 26, with a European release to follow on 29 January. The game allows you to play as classic Final Fantasy characters and Lightning to take down large monsters and save the Grand Crystal.

Our own Danny Bivens had a hands-on preview of the game which you can read here, and the announcement trailer is below:

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Explorers Localization Announced
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
Final Fantasy game on my 3DS? Heck yeah baby!
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »
Now this is a surprise, although I hear it's more of an action game than an rpg, still better than nothing though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
I heard this is basically Square Enix's take on Monster Hunter.  If I want Monster Hunter why don't I just buy the real deal?  Anyway, I'm still happy about this simply because it is Square Enix localizing a game and not through Nintendo or someone else.  That gives just a shred of hope for other games, like maybe Dragon Quest.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
I heard this is basically Square Enix's take on Monster Hunter.  If I want Monster Hunter why don't I just buy the real deal?
Because Explorers underperformed in Japan, so Squeenix wants to try to maximize the audience. Seeing as they know there's a dedicated fanbase for MH on 3DS in the west, it might have a second life there.

However, Final Fantasy is a recognized brand. Dragon Quest is not. So don't get your hopes up. I'd pathetically advise you to buy this if you want Squeenix to believe there's a market in the west for them, but that's a terrible reason to do so and if you don't like the gameplay style, who cares.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
The game allows you to play as classic Final Fantasy characters and Lightning to take down large monsters and save the Grand Crystal.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »
From what I remember on articles that skimmed Japanese impressions, Final Fantasy Explorers tilts more to the Action-RPG side in its pursuit to be a MonHun clone. So, if you found how Monster Hunter carries itself to be too idiosyncratic, then Explorers might be more palatable.

Good news to see. I was worried that the game might never come over.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »
Good news, I wasn't sure if it would make it over.

If I want Monster Hunter why don't I just buy the real deal?
If you want to play a platformer, why don't you just buy Mario games? I wouldn't think I'd need to explain to you the value in having different spins and ideas on the same formula... something that nearly every game does.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
Good news, I wasn't sure if it would make it over.

If I want Monster Hunter why don't I just buy the real deal?
If you want to play a platformer, why don't you just buy Mario games? I wouldn't think I'd need to explain to you the value in having different spins and ideas on the same formula... something that nearly every game does.

I guess I should have clarified that I don't own any Monster Hunter games.  So the idea I was getting at would be that if I was to get interested in that then I might as well start on Monster Hunter itself.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »
Again, I think Final Fantasy Explorers leans more towards being a bit more character-growth centric in its execution. Mon Hun is very loot grind-like, but Explorers has job changing and equipment wearing based on jobs, also share-able skills from class to class...

In short, it feels more... Final Fantasy ish? So I think for people who aren't totally keen on the Mon Hun thing and like their ARPG with a bit more magic and adaptability, this might be a nice fit. I also think this game will be good for people who are craving something a bit more Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles-esque.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 01:21:35 PM »
Hopefully they throw a demo up on the eShop.  That's what sold me on Bravely Default and also gave me a good idea that Monster Hunter isn't my thing.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »
I guess I should have clarified that I don't own any Monster Hunter games.  So the idea I was getting at would be that if I was to get interested in that then I might as well start on Monster Hunter itself.
Ah, well the answer is still similar: some people may want Monster Hunter, but in a different/more accessible form.