Author Topic: Super Mario Maker  (Read 35849 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Super Mario Maker
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:48:52 PM »
All of these Super Mario Maker videos have had me replaying Mario games.  Since E3, I've played through SMB1, SMB2j, Super Mario Bros. vs., Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2 (the lack of Super Mario World on my 3DS makes me sad). - and it really makes me want a portable version of Super Mario Maker.  Maybe with the ability to make Super Mario Land 2-styled levels (with the return of the bunny ears!).  I know Nintendo really wants to sell Wii U systems, but I'd get so much more playtime in with a 3DS version... who's with me?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Super Mario Maker
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
This is one of the few things a actually agree with u bob.
Made you look ****.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
I don't know if the editing software is too much for the 3DS, but I don't see why there wouldn't be a 3DS version of the game that just lets you download and play levels.  Maybe not at first, in order to move units, but maybe by spring.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:46:49 PM »
How about keeping the Maker on the Wii U, but allowing you to create levels based off of the handheld games and transferring them to the 3DS to be played on the go?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:15:22 AM »
I don't know if the editing software is too much for the 3DS, but I don't see why there wouldn't be a 3DS version of the game that just lets you download and play levels.  Maybe not at first, in order to move units, but maybe by spring.
  • That would make Wii U version moot considering majority of people won't gonna bother creating levels and just want to get 1000+ levels in one game. And now there will be a version on a more popular platform, and you don't have to bother with editing and it will likely be cheaper too?
  • Some of the stuff like in NWC level where there are literally thousands of objects and sprites on screen might be too much from performance and resolution viewpoint.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:02 AM »
It says something about Wii U that even the die-hard Nintendo fans are port-begging for handheld versions of games. It's even worse than the people begging for Bayonetta 2 to be multi-platform. 
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
Given the vast difference between the Wii U and the 3DS in architecture alone and how crazy Super Mario Maker can get on the Wii U, I don't expect to see a 3DS version of Super Mario Maker.

Maybe there's a slimmed-down version in the works? Or something that will play less-intensive levels? Who knows; Nintendo isn't talking about it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
It says something about Wii U that even the die-hard Nintendo fans are port-begging for handheld versions of games. It's even worse than the people begging for Bayonetta 2 to be multi-platform. 

It's nothing against the Wii U - It's simply my playstyle.  I spend more time playing my 3DS than my Wii U, just because my Wii U isn't as portable.  My power adapter in my car only has two outlets, which plugs in my Wii U and a small TV, with no room for the hard drive...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
No way. I want Super Mario Maker all up in my Wii U. I have a very nice TV. That's what I prefer to play games on.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Super Mario Maker Pocket that revolved around creating Mario stages based on handheld Mario games. Or what about Wario Maker?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
I think it'd be neat if they'd at least offer a scaled down version of the Mario Maker software for 3DS that maybe doesn't let you create levels, but search for & play levels that others create through mario maker.

Even if they made you do something like connecting the 3ds to the Wii U & "downloading" a copy of the levels you want to the 3ds like a personalized playlist, limiting you to "X" number of levels at a time until you re-sync your 3ds to the Wii U game, I think that'd be a good way to utilize connectivity for those who have both systems but want some levels on the go.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
Some want it on the handheld, some want it on the console.  The solution is Adrock's suggestion of the NX being a scalable platform.  Or at least the general hybrid concept.

It also demonstrates Nintendo's struggles to sell the Wii U concept.  Here we have a console game and we're asking for a handheld version of it.  Well that's not supposed to happen!  Console games are supposed to be fancy enough that you wouldn't ask for it to be on a handheld because you wouldn't assume it would be feasible.  But here is Nintendo with another side-scroller with graphics that don't tax the hardware at all (though there is a very obvious reason for that in this case) and it seems somewhat arbitrary that this is on the less popular Wii U when on a technical level you probably could make this game for the 3DS.  This is why you need a little more pizzazz on your console.  Would you have asked for Gamecube games to be made for the GBA?  No of course not because you can't imagine how that could even be possible.  Back then Nintendo provided a big jump in the types of games you got on a console over a handheld.  Now the jump isn't so big so "I'd like this on the handheld" is actually a request that isn't laughed out of the room.

Personally I want this on the TV but I want all games on the TV.  I have a 3DS simply because it has games I want on it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »
Am I the only one who recalls the mock-ups of that delicious-looking portable GameCube?
I don't think asking for portable versions of console games is a blow to the console.  Trap Team had a full-fledged version of the game for tablets that was pretty well reviewed.  It's more of the fact that there's less of a technological gap between console and handheld.  We got a pretty good port of a Wii game already.  And, as you pointed out, SMM isn't a system-taxing game, by any means.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »

It's nothing against the Wii U - It's simply my playstyle.  I spend more time playing my 3DS than my Wii U, just because my Wii U isn't as portable.  My power adapter in my car only has two outlets, which plugs in my Wii U and a small TV, with no room for the hard drive...

There is no friggin' way on this planet Super Mario Maker is going to be a 25GB game.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »

There is no friggin' way on this planet Super Mario Maker is going to be a 25GB game.

His system is probably already full.  No one wants to do "fridge cleaning" anymore.

Bob, your only solution is to buy a new car with the built in monitors.  I've seen them with ports for you to connect things like DVD players.  Then again, you can use the gamepad screen.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »

I think the real lesson to learn here is that UncleBob is too tech illiterate to purchase a Y-Cable that allows a normal hard rice to function on a Wii U. They go for about 8 bucks on Amazon.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:12:39 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
I don't want hard rice on my Wii U.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »

I think the real lesson to learn here is that UncleBob is too tech illiterate to purchase a Y-Cable that allows a normal hard rice to function on a Wii U. They go for about 8 bucks on Amazon.

You're welcome.

Does the Wii U function best with brown rice or white rice?  Or maybe wild rice?  I had no idea the Wii U needed to carb load...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Plus, Nintendo doesn't recommend using a y-cable to power your hard drive - they say to only use self-powered hard drives.

Plus, I have too many USB Devices plugged into my Wii U as it is.  Hard Drive, Key Board, Wii Speak, Skylanders Portal, Controller cable....

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »
I seriously hope you're joking.

What Nintendo recommends and what works are two completely separate beasts. The majority of what they reset might work with its own power source, but that's not the most cost-effective solution by far. I'm using a 320GB add Frove from around 2010 and I've not had any issues.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »
I dunno.  I have a 2 or 3 TB drive I picked up on clearance for $50 or so...  Can't remember off the top of my head.  It's been a nice little drive.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
I've been using a y-cable for my Wii U hard rice for the last 2 years. It's no big deal.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »
So apparently Nintendo is applying their Splatoon strategy to Mario Maker & locking in-game assets & features behind a time-wall, according to their latest official Youtube trailer.

Because if there's one thing your game about boundless creativity needs, it's arbitrary restrictions on what you're allowed to use.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
So apparently Nintendo is applying their Splatoon strategy to Mario Maker & locking in-game assets & features behind a time-wall, according to their latest official Youtube trailer.

Because if there's one thing your game about boundless creativity needs, it's arbitrary restrictions on what you're allowed to use.

If your release schedule is thin you can create the illusion of notable stuff happening by releasing games in an unfinished state and then slowly release the rest of the content spread over a period of time.  It keeps the game "new" right until the next game is ready.  Damn, I hate when I put my mind into "evil corporate" mode.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »

If your release schedule is thin you can create the illusion of notable stuff happening by releasing games in an unfinished state and then slowly release the rest of the content spread over a period of time.  It keeps the game "new" right until the next game is ready.  Damn, I hate when I put my mind into "evil corporate" mode.

As much as I'd love to rail at Nintendo for doing that like I did Splatoon, that doesn't seem to be what's going on here. The content this time is done. They're not even pretending it's not on the disc this time. They're just deciding you can't have it until an arbitrary period of time has passed since you first started playing it. I suspect if I bought this game a year from now, I'd still have to wait for all the unlocks to occur.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »

As much as I'd love to rail at Nintendo for doing that like I did Splatoon, that doesn't seem to be what's going on here. The content this time is done. They're not even pretending it's not on the disc this time. They're just deciding you can't have it until an arbitrary period of time has passed since you first started playing it. I suspect if I bought this game a year from now, I'd still have to wait for all the unlocks to occur.

That's a very strange design decision.  I wonder if you can just move your console's clock ahead a few days and unlock everything at once.  Assuming you can't then the first user created levels made available to everyone will only use the first parts unlocked, so they'll be much lamer than they otherwise would be.  So Nintendo wants the first user created levels available to be lame simplistic levels that can't do much?  Huh?