Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 86254 times)

Offline gerdi3xgp

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2006, 05:15:22 PM »
man! all you guys are crazy, I personally can't wait to playing in the middle of the night with my wiiwand shaking it, and swing it around
heheh i got my avatar from the city of heroes site

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I'm not sure what to think about it.  I'm defending it, since there's overwhelming whining going on, and I always have to argue against overwhelming whining because I hate it more than anything, but I'm not sure.
I like the name.  I think it's fun, and kind of silly, and unique.  My friends and I will definitely have fun messing around with the name.  If you can have fun with a game console's name, you're on the right track, I'd say.
But there's an obviously negative feeling overall.  Which I think is ridiculous, get over your "cool" video games and delusions of grandeur and realize you're a bunch of nerds who wouldn't know "cool" if it went down on you.  But still, gotta take that into account, because as unfortunate as it is, these are the people who will be buying it.

Humanity's in such a pitiful state.  Even our fun has to be serious

quoted for truth, you are my first ever favorite poster. congrats.

i too was like many of you dissapointed at this news. the name sounds stupid. i saw the video, i get it, but i still like it. we all have to accept it though, since theres a very slim chance of nintendo changing it (but lets hope they do hehe), but to sit there and post "nintendo  is dumb i hate them, they suck etc etc" is pointless, and very "tiku tiku tiku! " of you.  every single one of you 'haters' will still drool over the games they show at e3 and you know despite how dumb you think the name is you will still want it. the promise of a revolution is what you fell in love with, am i right? not the name. the promise of a new way to play games and new games in general is what got you hooked and theres no going back, no matter whether they call it Revolution, Wii, Crapcute, Sh*tbox or Snorestation. you want it, thats that.
if you dont actually buy the damn thing JUST because of the name then you people are immature and not ready for a revolution. stick to your annual sport-port and your WWII games. wait till ms and sony rip it off and make "manly" games that a juvinille insecure person as yourself can play and use a rip-off wand to masturbate in a gamethat proves you're a man to you and all your friends

wii will grow on you, i can see the adds now "hold on for the ride....Wiii (as in wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)" lol
grow up guys, all that matters is the games that they make. i wouldnt mind for an n64 type era again. all games by the big N are astounding and third party support is whatever...i relaly couldnt care less. all the games i play the most are the first party ones anyway. as long as the diehard nintendo fans give em the money they need and deserve they'll be back to deliver another great system and hopefully get it right and give it a DECENT NAME. maybe thats just me, im just pissed at all the ranting.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
interview on ign now with Perrin Kaplan

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2006, 05:26:24 PM »
by the wya, the name already grew on me. wii ISNT that bad, its different and the concept is cool. maybe they should do some sort of holographic logo where from one point of view its the W with the ii but another is the WW with the two controllers, or another one where the ii's sprout little arms so you can see them as people.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline RocketDarkness

• View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2006, 05:29:50 PM »
Wii will/ Wii will/ rock you.

Seriously, THIS is a name that will stick in everyone's minds. 1 syllable. Easy to remember. Distinctive spelling. People are talking about it. A lot. It's spreading already. And this doesn't even include the inevitable advertising.  

PS: In Japanese, it's most likely going to be spelled in katakana, since they're going for the sound more than a specific meaning.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2006, 05:45:50 PM »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2006, 05:49:33 PM »
So I'm reading Perrin Kaplan's interview on IGN.

"Live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it and hopefully they'll arrive at the same place."

Nintendo's creedo and the exact reason why they're in last place.  If you have to tell your fanbase to "live with it" then maybe your name sucks.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2006, 05:55:31 PM »
Oh, for goodness sakes, only one person even noticed my point about "PlayStation" being the most childish name ever (at least when I made it in this thread).

And it was an uphill battle for the original PlayStation too.

It's not about the name...at least not anywhere near as much as the marketing behind it.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2006, 05:55:46 PM »
What is this insanity, consumers are well known for totally avoiding products with obscure names. Like the iPo-ooh.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
So I'm reading Perrin Kaplan's interview on IGN.

"Live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it and hopefully they'll arrive at the same place."

Nintendo's creedo and the exact reason why they're in last place.  If you have to tell your fanbase to "live with it" then maybe your name sucks.

Or maybe your fanbase sucks...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2006, 06:10:48 PM »
The rev isnt doomed, but it will be succesful despite the name, not because. What will sell it will be the concept, the awesome remote and the sure-to-come awesome games, and even if they name it "Wii" or"rev" or "n5" the concept will make people turn their heads and try it, not the name.

I have to agree with Ian with this one, this name is nintendo being arrogant, "we can name it whatever the hell we want and people will buy it", what irks me a little is that some of you are fine with Nintendo being like that, because I f!cking hate arrogance, even if justified.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2006, 06:14:37 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Oh, for goodness sakes, only one person even noticed my point about "PlayStation" being the most childish name ever (at least when I made it in this thread).
I noticed it.  Btw, didn't Nintendo come up with the term PlayStation?  Or did I make that up somehow?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2006, 06:18:03 PM »
Don't know who came up with the name (it was originally the "Play Station", two words) when it was to be a Super NES CD-ROM upgrade, but the point is that Sony could've come up with a different name when they released it as their own standalone console.

But no, they stuck with "PlayStation".  The PlayStation wasn't so hot at first.  Newcomer, stupid name, uphill battle...at least Nintendo still has a fan base.

If FMVs like those found in Final Fantasy VII make people want to buy something that sounds like a parent's tool to distract the little ones, then a cool new control scheme can make people buy something that sounds like urine or a penis or whatever.

So when you guys disavow my point because you think "PlayStation" is part of everyday "lexicon" or whatever, you're actually proving my point that things can still sell despite a silly name.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »
TP to have Wii controls. I chuckled.

Imagine a tutorial for something like Spongebob Squarepants...

"Aim your Wii at the objects on the screen."

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2006, 06:32:07 PM »
Have all the babies halt their crying from Wii being bad to them?!

Geez, what a bunch of cry-babies, and even the PGC staff? lol. It's not like you are the ones that make publicity for the system so why even bother, if you want to publicize it to your friends just say "want to see the new Nintendo system that I just bought?" or something like that.

Btw, I think the name is just different and quirky and funny at the same time. Heck, it isn't even a name so why should it even be pronounced at all.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2006, 06:33:02 PM »
PlayStation is not even in the same ballpark as the Wii. First of all it's comprised of words. Second it has a noun. Third it isn't a synonym for small, pee, or penis.

You're making the PlayStation thing up. No one liked the 360 either (no one does now...) but it's not actually offputting, just dreadfully dull.

Yes all press can be good press, but not when the press is actually offputting.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2006, 06:40:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
PlayStation is not even in the same ballpark as the Wii. First of all it's comprised of words. Second it has a noun. Third it isn't a synonym for small, pee, or penis.

You're making the PlayStation thing up. No one liked the 360 either (no one does now...) but it's not actually offputting, just dreadfully dull.

Yes all press can be good press, but not when the press is actually offputting.

I didn't "make up" the PlayStation thing.  I don't see how you could think that, since I never named it.  If you say it with a slight pause in the middle, as in "Play Station", it really does sound like a station of play.  Tell me it doesn't.  I might not have noticed it myself if the weatherman didn't say it oddly on the news that one time.  "My kids and their play...station"...I was like, WTF, that actually sounded childish when he said it.

"Box" is slang for female parts, and it's "X"-rated...so why no complaints about the Xbox?  OMG MORE SEX STUFF.

Wii isn't a great name in my opinion either.  But that's not my point.  I think a solid marketing campaign can sell a product no matter what the name.  The fact that you guys didn't think PlayStation or Xbox on the same level is because the products are marketed so much that no one actually stops to think about them.  Or people actually think about the games they want to play on them.

Everyone's going to call it the "Nintendo' anyway ("let's play some Nintendo"), and maybe that's a good thing...keeps the company name in the popular lexicon.

I'm not exactly defending the name, but most comments against it seem to be gut-reaction fanboyism that really should be a moot point considering what "secrets" there still are of it, and its already unorthodox, standard-breaking-(and-making?) control scheme.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »
I assume of course that PGC is currently in negotiations with Gamespot over the planetnintendo.com domain.  
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »
not at all
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »
Wyy???
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2006, 06:58:42 PM »
No!.....it's "Wii".

Anyhoo, I guess they could always get booed at the E3 press conference.....THAT would PWN!

Sign the pet-TI-tion!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/nintendowii  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2006, 07:00:17 PM »

It's not like you are the ones that make publicity for the system so why even bother, if you want to publicize it to your friends just say "want to see the new Nintendo system that I just bought?"

THIS IS KEY.  I cannot stress that enough.  When you tell people about this system, don't say "Oh hey, listen to this stupid name, doesn't it sound like piss?" because that'll be their first impression and that'll be what they belive.  Introduce it as "we", not "wee", explain it to them, the controls and the concept behind the title and don't make them think about the dumb jokes.  It's the "We", Wii, the "weeeeeeeee!", depending on who you tell.
Being continually negative, especially with people who don't know the name yet, will only make things worse.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »
"Play Station" was named the way it is (by Sony BTW, Nintendo had nothing to do with it) because at the time the Silicon Graphics "Work Station" was the biggest, baddest, most impressive thing in the history of computers. Sony was trying to claim that they had the gaming-version of a supercomputer. (Then Nintendo went and built themselves an actual authentic $200 SGI Workstation.)

Now Nintendo doesn't give a crap about impressing anyone, and puts deliberate effort into looking like retards.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2006, 07:04:31 PM »
$1000 bet says everyone stops the Wii jokes after VG Cats makes a comic about it, sucked of humour, everyone will look at it and feel stupid.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2006, 07:04:54 PM »

Now Nintendo doesn't give a crap about impressing anyone

That's called confidence.