Author Topic: 2-3 times powerful  (Read 40348 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: 2-3 times powerful
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2007, 12:23:07 AM »
kill -s SIGSTOP 14173
usermod -L 9485

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:44 AM »
I much prefer the SNES's superior graphics, games and sound but at least you could still rip a dude's head of in MK on genesis
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:2-3 times powerful
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »
so the Wii (revolution) is here now and it doesnt look better than GC that much. Some games look worse some look on par but so far nothing looks better. Not 2 to 3 times more powerful anyways.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »
In all fairness Xbox to Xbox360 ports barely looked any better when the Xbox 360 launched. Give developers some time and we will see the graphics shine a little brighter. IMO the graphics look fine on the Wii and theres nothing that makes me cringe.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
IMO the graphics look fine on the Wii and theres nothing that makes me cringe.

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2007, 10:03:18 AM »
Well I know all that its just so far some games look WORSE than GC and that shouldnt be. I am putting everything into MP3 if that game is good looking than yeah, if not that damn it.
You can call me

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

IMO the graphics look fine on the Wii and theres nothing that makes me cringe.

*sighs happily* I loved that game...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »

one of gamecube most insulted games during the first 2 years of release, even looks better
red faction 2

anyway RE4 PC comes out in less then 2 months, so the whole RE4 looks best on gamecube thing will be dead forever

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:42 AM »

In all fairness Xbox to Xbox360 ports barely looked any better when the Xbox 360 launched. Give developers some time and we will see the graphics shine a little brighter.

It's not totally the same.  In the case of the 360 they were learning a totally new architecture.  The Wii is pretty much the same architecture as a GC, except they made it more efficient.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD

one of gamecube most insulted games during the first 2 years of release, even looks better
red faction 2

anyway RE4 PC comes out in less then 2 months, so the whole RE4 looks best on gamecube thing will be dead forever

Not if they port from the PS2 version, in which case upgrading from would involve recreating all the models and textures and effects.  But hey, you'll get to see low rez textures on your high-rez monitor, isn't that what people want?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2007, 04:13:46 PM »

EDIT: Yes, I'm going to keep doing this..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/499/499105/img_2397554.html

or

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/img_3915496.html

It's really hard to get a feel for how Corruption looks compared to Echoes when almost all the screens are blurry, but I think the first 2 are a good indication. You can definitely tell that Corruption does looks better that Echoes. It's not head-and-shoulders above it, but you can definitely tell that it's better. There are a lot of subtle touches that set it apart.

And for anyone saying that Wii should be easy for developers to pick up and run with just because it's based on GC hardware... Um... just what developers would you be talking about? The only 3rd parties that really tried to do anything worthwhile on the GC were Capcom, Amusement Vision, and Namco. No one else really tried to do anything with the system, or have we all forgotten the string of ports that actually looked WORSE than their PS2 counterparts. For a system that was almost on par with the XBox how was it possible for so many games on it to look so bad?

Because developers never really learned how to use the hardware properly in the first place. They practically ARE learning it all over again with the Wii. But as we can see from the launch titles, very few of them are learning much of anything.

If Wii can continue like it is and actually give the PS3 a run for it's money you will see developers take the system seriously and actually put some effort into making it look good. Nintendo's not usually one to do that but every once in a while they do put out a title that proves they know exactly what they're doing and can more than hold their own in the face of graphics whores. In the mean time we're going to get bad launch titles, but what system is immune to that? Wii might be getting more than it's fair share though given where Nintendo's coming from and 3rd party's desires to cash in on the new interface without any real effort but you can't fault the system if no one is actually taking advantage of it in the first place.

What we're seeing right now is in no way indicative of what the Wii is capable of, I'm absolutely certain of that. When a direct GC port with no graphical upgrades is the best looking game on the system you have to know that there's something wrong. Even if we took the CPU and GPU processing speeds at face value what we're seeing right now is laughable at best.

I will say though that the Mario Galaxy footage that I've seen so far looks incredible. I don't care about polygon this or shader that, I just know that the game looks like incredible fun and in the end that's really what it's all about, isn't it?

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »

You can definitely tell that Corruption does looks better that Echoes. It's not head-and-shoulders above it, but you can definitely tell that it's better.

The videos I've seen of the game do a far better job of showing the advancements in the engine, especially with the lighting and particles.  Speaking of which, Gamepro has played the game recently and their assessment of it is quite glowing.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Definitely stole the the show. The graphics looked amazing -- better than Halo 2 on the Xbox without a doubt -- and the levels showed off sparkling details, proving the Wii is far more powerful than the Gamecube.

Original source.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
For me, it'll always come down to this:

Art Design > Graphics Power

Also, most current Wii games look awful because of developer laziness and publishers rushing product to market. I still think Nintendo seriously undercut the power of their processors, but that doesn't mean developers can't make a visually stunning game on Wii. You don't need to make Gears of War to wow people graphically. Something like Okami on PS2 looks amazing. A game that looks 2-3 times better than Resident Evil 4 is going to look great. Maybe not Lair great, but great nonetheless. There's a great misconception that more powerful graphics cards automatically mean better graphics. That is simply not true.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2007, 08:00:51 AM »
It sounds like GamePro played the E3 build..

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »
Im sorry icecold but that picture turns me OFF from plating the game so please dont use that to show the graphcis cuz thats ugly IMO.  
You can call me

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2007, 02:10:59 PM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
>>Nothing in that sentence suggests discussion of the design of the systems. You specifically said "CAME OUT" hence, released. Also, you should let others know you're discussing a Japanese release rather than an American release<<

This was about the time I got banned originally so I never got to reply to this. Anyways it was stupid of AGES to argue the american release had any signifcance because the HARDWARE specs were already finalised by then so my point still stands.

But I have learned to remain calm since then so I hope I dont stray off track too much.

And for the last fu**ing time get off the spelling. Geez all the damn complainin some people do over spelling and sh*t. Seriously I try  by damn best and I type slower now than I used to so back the eff off.

Rat, it was stupid of you for not clarifying what you were talking about in the first place.  Coming out = released, end of story.  Also, remember, being on an American forum, people are going to be discussing things from the American point of view, not the Japanese one.  The Genesis was released in Japan in 88, and the SNES in 90, a difference of 2 years, not 3 as you stated.

Ice Cold, I love that screen cap.  It shows graphical prowless the Wii possess.  It's kind of funny seeing Mario as a graphical powerhouse for once.  It hasnt been one of the top graphical games on a nintendo system since Super Mario Bros. 3, (New Super Mario Bros. notwithstanding).
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
Im sorry icecold but that picture turns me OFF from plating the game so please dont use that to show the graphcis cuz thats ugly IMO.
Then you quite simply have no taste whatsoever..

EDIT: To Ages - yeah, that's true, but we should remember that Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 were both there at launch, so it's expected that they weren't as good graphically as the later games. SM64 especially; it was the first time Nintendo worked with a 3D system, so they got much better over time. I think SMW still holds up pretty well against other SNES titles though.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
IceCold, true SMW does hold up pretty well, but I believe it's more on SMW's style than technical prowless.  SMW couldn't hold a candle to Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country among others.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2007, 08:31:06 PM »
Can't believe ANYONE can think that pic of the spider from SMG looks ugly, the thing looks almost CGI esque.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2007, 01:10:44 AM »
I like how everyone went crazy at Perrin's suggestion that the Wii would be 2-3 times more powerful....and now it really just doesn't matter to anyone.

Super Mario 64 [was] there at launch, so it's expected that [it wasn't] as good graphically as the later games.

Good thing, too. SM64 has aged much better than other N64 games because of its graphical simplicity. The solid colors it used for textures are much easier on the eyes than the blurry messes featured in other games.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2007, 04:15:31 AM »
ok two years so I added wrong I suck atr math. Regardless I DID make it clear I was taling abotuhardware idfferences and COMMON SESE would didctate that means when ther hardware was finalaised EI when it was released originally, as in JAPAN. I shouldnt have HAD to clarify that when refering to hardware idfferences that was your misinturpratatiopn not my lack of clarity.

ANYWAYSI forgot what the original point was so whatever you win end of discussion lets let it go and be civil.

Icecold the grfx look fantastic, the pic is ugly to me cuz I HATE spiders thats all.  I would rpefer a pic with NO spioders to show off the gfx is what i was saying.  
You can call me

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2007, 04:28:27 AM »
I'm somewhat arachnophobic but that thing doesn't even register as a spider at all.  But it certainly does look good, as far as near-full-screen bosses go.  It's colourful, fits the cartoony setting, and doesn't seem blocky or otherwise awkward at all.  And even if it resembled a spider more, it could still show off good graphics.

Though my skin gets really crawly like in Resident Evil (GameCube) when dealing with giant tarantulas, I can still (kind of) appreciate that those are among the most realistic-looking enemies in the game.  They look good, even if only on a technical level.

It's not a paradox or ironic, really, but it does remind me of an amusing portion of a Way Of The Warrior (3D0) review I read way back when.  If you remember, it was a fighting game often shown off for the 3D0 that used digitized actors.  The animation was pretty bad.  But the graphics themselves were good.  The statement I remember was that "the graphics are so good, you can tell how cheap their costumes are".

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2007, 04:38:24 AM »
I am not slightly arcahnophopbic and in isanely arachnobopic. Is topped playing OOT when it came to that gian spider and almost trhough TP into the trasj when that damn bug atacked me at my house when I went to get my wodden sword. I HATE spiders. cartooney or not. But thats just me.

Anywyas Ill step off its not so much an issue now that i FINALLY seen the fototage for MP3 and Brawl in action, I know I SHOULD have doen that a while back but I been busy and didnt want to look at Brawl footage till it cam eout cuz I dotn want to WANT the game I just want to go and get it when it comes out.  
You can call me