Author Topic: 3D Sonic the Hedgehog Review Mini  (Read 882 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
3D Sonic the Hedgehog Review Mini
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »

You're too slow!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/36153/3d-sonic-the-hedgehog-review-mini

With all of these 3D Classics from Sega, the emulation qualityis outstanding. As usual, developer M2 expertly replicates the experience ofplaying a classic, in this case, the original Sonic the Hedgehog, giving you optionsto play it as it was in 1991, as well as how it would be on an improved pieceof hardware in 2013. In Sonic’s case, his more than 20-year-old adventure isstill a fun albeit flawed adventure that is made more friendly and entertainingbecause of M2’s excellent emulation effort.

10.jpg

The amount of video and display options at your disposable iswondrous without being too overwhelming. You can pick between having thestereoscopic 3D “fall in” or “pop out” and even view the screen like it’s on arounded, muddled CRT TV (as you likely would have in the early ‘90s). It’s asilly touch, but the authenticity is astounding. The rest of the settings areminutia, including picking between the International and Japan release andwhether it is emulated on the first Genesis system or the second one.

The level select, hidden by a cheat code originally, can beaccessed from the start at the press of a button, which is handy if you want tojump around the six zones. The Spin Dash, Sonic’s ability to charge up speed whilestationary, was introduced in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and now can be optionallyadded in. It highlights why the mechanic was added in the sequel, as certainsections are easier with the its inclusion.

7.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog retains the fun platforming that challengedMario back in the day. The emphasis on speed is fun, but many areas featureconstant stopping. Speed might be the hedgehog’s game, but when you’re standingon a block moving through lava, watching out for falling platforms, or dealingwith the slow-paced insanity of the water-logged Labyrinth Zone, the zest forspeed is killed. What’s left is still good, especially with the awesome music,but it is often slowed down.

Regardless, if you hold nostalgia for Sonic the Hedgehog, this 3DSversion is excellent, as it is a stellar enhanced port of a fun game, gamedesign rough edges and all. We can all hold out hope for Sega to bring the farsuperior Sonic 2 to the 3D Classics line in the future, but for now, thespeedster’s debut is fine.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GrabMyBoomstick

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Sonic the Hedgehog Review Mini
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
I've always felt the Sonic games were greatly flawed in concept--encourage me to run fast, while at the same time making me stop every few seconds with arbitrary enemy placement and platforming--yet I've always enjoyed playing them (at least Sonic's 2D efforts), mostly because of the great artwork, bright colors, and catchy tunes. I'm glad to see some effort went into giving consumers a great emulated, slightly updated version of the Genesis classic. I certainly don't mind dropping a few bucks to have a portable version of the classic 2D Sonic games, as long as they're receiving the proper treatment as this one did. Here's hoping we eventually get Sonic 2, 3, and Sonic & Knuckles as well.  :)
Groovy