Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1200302 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1450 on: August 06, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
I just watched the last 9 episodes in season 4 of The Wire in a row. Everyone here who hasn't watched that show needs to do that, or else you're banned from the forums.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1451 on: August 07, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »
:(
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 08, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »
Black Dynamite - The Animated series.

Just watched the pilot episode on adultswim.com
http://video.adultswim.com/black-dynamite/black-dynamite-the-pilot.html

L-O -F'n-L MuthafukkkkkAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 08, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's just awesome. More people should know about Black Dynamite.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
I never told nobody this, but.... I used to be a children

Have you ever been slapped across yo' face with a frog dick!?
::smaaaack::
Oh what's that!? it sounds like you just had a frog dick on yo' mouth.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 08, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
That was amazing.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
I just watched a great show on hulu called The Booth at The End. You should go watch it. http://www.hulu.com/the-booth-at-the-end

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:45 AM »
Well, one long run has finally come to an end.  Well over a year after the first set released, Funimation has finally released the Part 5 Blu-Ray of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, containing the final 13 episodes.  I've been very critical of this second Fullmetal Alchemist series since the beginning, but this is a pretty good volume that's up there with the best run of the show (what was released in the "Part 2" set).  The battles are satisfying, most of the plot twists are well-executed (aside from a really DUMB nod to the End of Evangelion movie and a really lame plot twist involving Scar suddenly having new abilities he previously just "refused to use"), and the animation is really top-notch.

This is usually the part where I then complain that the ending is a steaming pile of crap because the Japanese usually have no idea how to write satisfying endings, but honestly I really have no complaints about FMA:B's ending.  The plot wraps up in a satisfying and fitting manner both logically and thematically, and the writers left about 1 1/2 episodes after the final battle to wrap up loose ends and give the story room to breathe.  This is how an ending is supposed to be done.

Overall, Brotherhood is a good series that falls just short of being a great series.  Its main problem is that it's slavishly faithful to the original manga, so for a large chunk of the series it comes off as rambling and lacking in the heart and emotion that the first Alchemist series exuded so passionately.  Had the folks at Bones trimmed a good 20 or so episodes off the 64-episode run, the show would have flowed much better.  It wouldn't have dragged so much with endless dime-a-dozen Alchemy battles and even more endless padding with conversation scenes that serve only to repeat information the audience already knows.  Of the two series, I much prefer the original Fullmetal Alchemist as a whole for its emotional execution and pithiness, but Brotherhood is still worth watching due to its better animation and much more satisfying ending.

Incidentally, it's rare that you see these on anime DVDs/Blu-Rays and even rarer still that they're actually funny, but the FMA Part 5 set contains a 7-minute Outake montage that I actually found pretty funny.  Check it out sometime if you happen to pick up the set.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:14:49 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 13, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
I finished The Wire, so I'll probably stop gushing over it after this (maybe). It was an amazing ride, and somehow managed to be crazy and believable at the same time, especially in the final season.

The way Jimmy invented a serial killer out of thin air to manipulate Carcetti into giving the police the money and resources they needed to catch Marlo unfolded and escalated beautifully, and ending it the way they did with everyone covering it up to protect their own asses, so they couldn't even fire Jimmy and Lester for their wildly illegal actions was brilliant.

Michael becoming the new Omar was pretty awesome, and even though the way they killed Omar was disappointing, it kind of needed to be for the kind of show The Wire is. Nothing ever changes, and the people who stick out their neck to make things better instead of just looking out for themselves get screwed. An extremely cynical and depressing message, but a fairly realistic one.

No show will ever be better than this. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't see how.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 13, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
Have you seen The Shield?

I'm not saying it's better, but it's another high quality show dealing with the dark side of cop work and business on the streets.

They are too different for a direct point by point comparison, but if you appreciate one, you should be able to appreciate the other.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 13, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
It's on my list, based on your previous recommendations of it. Right now I'm moving on to Breaking Bad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 13, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »
Another good choice.

Only problem with Breaking Bad is that once you are all caught up, you have to wait for the new season to start and then go week by week for the next episode like the rest of us.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1462 on: August 13, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
So, I finally finished Lost. It was a fairly good series, all-in-all. The ending was a bit weird to me though. It was just weird to see that was where all the alternate reality flashes were headed after watching them for how ever long they were going on. I did like how they kinda gave you the ending you were expecting, then changed it a bit to "shock" you and then give you a third ending that was supposed to kinda tie things together. Though, one thing I didn't like was the fact that the show was just like, "Well, a bunch of **** happens next, but since Jack dies, we're just gonna end the story now.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 13, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
Another good choice.

Only problem with Breaking Bad is that once you are all caught up, you have to wait for the new season to start and then go week by week for the next episode like the rest of us.

Yeah, I would have gone nuts if I'd had to watch The Wire that way. Like I said, I watched most of season 4 (the last 9 episodes) and then most of season 5 (the last 7) marathon style, essentially back to back. The Breaking Bad creator wants to do one more season after the current one, though, and I don't want to wait that long to start it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 13, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
You could atleast delay that start to Breaking Bad by watching The Shield first.
By the time your done with that and into BB, this current upcoming season might be most of the way through.

7 seasons, 12-13 episodes each.
The first 5 are great, 6 is it's low point* (much like I thought s2 <the docks> of The Wire was its low point), but s7 gives it a fitting end.

There was originally only 6 seasons planned, but they couldn't fit it all in the way they wanted into only 13 episodes, so they stretched s6 out and put the final season as 7 instead.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: August 13, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »
The Wire is amazing and will probably never be dethroned, but the way Game of Thrones is building up, the world it is creating especially regarding its mentality that any character can die, it's essentially The Wire in fantasy land. Each characters motivation and choices lead to realistic consequences, even if there are zombies and dragons.

Another great show is Board Walk Empire. It's better than Breaking Bad in my opinion, but it's less realistic. It kind just plays the "Wow....that was badass" card over and over again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:49:30 PM by The Unagi »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 13, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »
You could atleast delay that start to Breaking Bad by watching The Shield first.
By the time your done with that and into BB, this current upcoming season might be most of the way through.

7 seasons, 12-13 episodes each.
The first 5 are great, 6 is it's low point* (much like I thought s2 <the docks> of The Wire was its low point), but s7 gives it a fitting end.

There was originally only 6 seasons planned, but they couldn't fit it all in the way they wanted into only 13 episodes, so they stretched s6 out and put the final season as 7 instead.

I don't want to do another cop show right away, and a friend of mine has been bugging me to watch Breaking Bad for a while now.

@Stogi I started Boardwalk Empire when it was airing and liked it, but I never finished the season. I definitely want to get back to it, though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:52:16 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1467 on: August 13, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »
So, I finally finished Lost. It was a fairly good series, all-in-all. The ending was a bit weird to me though. It was just weird to see that was where all the alternate reality flashes were headed after watching them for how ever long they were going on. I did like how they kinda gave you the ending you were expecting, then changed it a bit to "shock" you and then give you a third ending that was supposed to kinda tie things together. Though, one thing I didn't like was the fact that the show was just like, "Well, a bunch of **** happens next, but since Jack dies, we're just gonna end the story now.

My big problem with the show was that they tried to cram ALL THE ANSWERS into the final few episodes, but actually just chickened out of most of them. Like why the island can move, what's being corked, who built that statue, all that stuff. No answers for it. So disappointed.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:12:06 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »
Thundercats: 8.5/10 Loving it, but wish it would move a little faster, the 4th episode seemed like a filler, though I understand it's importance to the story.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »
True Blood

Please pleae let Sookie die or atleast stop loving Eric so much, and please let Eric go back to being the old Eric.
The whole Sookie/Eric sappy romance novel **** is making me sick to my stomach. It's just gone too far.
And can they get some more nudity in there besides Sookie every damn week? I enjoyed seeing her naked the first few times, and she can continue to od nude scenes, but it feels like she is looking for any excuse to be naked on screen at this point so that all the other actresses don't have to. Terra's GF, the 400year old witch (not Marnie), Sam's Shifter GF, JESSICA!!! anyone someone semi-attractive other than just Sookie.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 15, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
I completely agree. I've been watching it and the show is pretty awful. The only redeeming factor is Lafayette and that's only because he cracks me up (though some of his scenes are hard to watch). Other than that I'm staring blankly at the screen waiting for something...I don't know what, but something to happen that makes it all worth while.

Entourage: I'm glad this is the last season. It feels like all those characters (except Drama) have overstayed their welcome. Yes, even Ari. I actually think it's because of Ari that I am even saying this. He dominated the show. Every single scene he was in throughout the earlier seasons were the shows best. Now he's all depressed and lonely and most of all, unfunny. Even when he makes fun of Lloyd, his creme-dela-creme, it sounds so forced and boring.

By the way, their "entourage" has gotten oversized. There's like 10 of them now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:34:41 PM by The Unagi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 21, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
The New Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network

HAHAHAHA Daffy cracks me up & for once Bugs wasn't being a dick, but actually getting played.
So many things happened in the episode I just watched that made me laugh. Daffy blowing off Lola (female rabbit) as she look like a pathetic stalker after being rejected. Bugs being the poor sucker who is trying to date Lola as Lola stalks Daffy while he is out dating Tina (female duck).
If it wasn't for a few lines from Daffy I would've kept right on not paying attention as it played in the background.

"All women are crazy" - Daffy Duck

Another ep just started (On Demand) and Daffy has me laughing in this one too.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 21, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
How does it compare to the golden oldies? I mean you seen what happened last time they brought bugs out of retirement.

On the other hand it did produce this bit of comedy gold.

Uncensored.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 21, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
I'm only glancing at the TV every once in a while, but if they wanted to revive Looney Tunes for the youth of today while still being able to interest the youth of 20 years ago, then I think they did a damn good job from the 2 episodes I just passively watched.