Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World  (Read 68130 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »
IGN review
I don't even want to talk about this review.This review belongs in that thread about the Pathethic state of the gaming media.I need a new place to get reviews, any suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:43:50 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
I won't even look at the review =D
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »
Yeah nothing is stopping me from getting this game!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »
I need a new place to get reviews, any suggestions.

Intuition works quite well for me, personally...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2008, 09:02:32 PM »
Of course.Intuition! Your own feelings not some jerk on IGN.Thanks Bill!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:49:29 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2008, 03:12:23 AM »
Wow, one paragraph in and I already hate the reviewer. Just by the tone of his review, you can tell he hates rpgs. Why is he reviewing this game then? Granted, I've never played the series before, but it looks like he's being harsh for no real reason.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2008, 04:08:02 AM »
First, loading GameCube clear data from Symphonia randomly unlocks certain items, in-game currency, and other bonuses at the beginning of the game.
That is cool, more games should do it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2008, 05:29:36 AM »
I'm not sure the "connectivity bonus" is such a good idea overall. An experienced player will play better than a newbie anyway so the boost isn't necessary.

I need a new place to get reviews, any suggestions.

Go to a review aggregator and pick a few reviews so you can see different perspectives (also reading a few outliers score-wise might be worth it so you can see some of the more extreme views).

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
I'm not sure the "connectivity bonus" is such a good idea overall. An experienced player will play better than a newbie anyway so the boost isn't necessary.

KDR, the sole purpose is to reward the player of owning/playing the original game and retaining the save file for all these years. The only other Wii game to do this is Fire Emblem.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »

KDR, the sole purpose is to reward the player of owning/playing the original game and retaining the save file for all these years. The only other Wii game to do this is Fire Emblem.

Yeah, look at it this way:  it's better than Star Points.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
I'm waiting for my copy of this to ship.  I chose free shipping, but I hope to have it by the weekend.  At some point I still need to play through ToS a few more times, though.  I haven't seen the Kratos ending, and there's at least one more character I want to hook up with Lloyd.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »
Why is there hardly any interest in this game? Does hardly anybody on this board play RPGs?

I can't explain why, but I'm totally "meh" about this game, despite liking the first one quite a bit.  Maybe it's the monster collecting/training aspect, which has never really interested me.  Maybe it's just because I haven't heard very many good things about the game in previews.  Maybe it's because I can get similar experiences from VC games like Secret of Mana and Shining Force II for $8 each and there's literally a metric ton of excellent RPGs available on DS.  Regardless, I'll most likely skip this game.  I want it to be good but I'm just completely apathetic about the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

Yeah, look at it this way:  it's better than Star Points.

What if the Club Nintendo store in NA will get those game and watch DS games or the SNES Wii Controller those Star Points won't be so worthless anymore ;).

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
What if I shat gold OoT cartridges

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
Just by the tone of his review, you can tell he hates rpgs.

He loves Disgaea.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »

He loves Disgaea.

Just another reason to ignore his opinion, in my book... =)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »

He loves Disgaea.

Disgaea is a SRPG ;).

He loves Disgaea.

Just another reason to ignore his opinion, in my book... =)

Hey... Disgaea is one of the better SRPG series out there.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
That's like pointing out which pile of dog crap stinks the least!

(Aha, sorry, not an SRPG fan in the least...)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2008, 09:30:16 PM »
"Maybe it's just because I haven't heard very many good things about the game in previews."

I haven't heard very many good things about the gaming press.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »
http://www.namcobandaigames.com/games/talesofsymphoniadawn/

^ see this page? it's worthless.  it doesn't even have a firm release date.  Namco will probably be surprised to see it in stores this weekend.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
http://tales.namco.com

^ see this page?  it's worthless.  it takes you to a page about some psp game even less people know about.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »
Embarrassing

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »
HIIII THIS IS ASHLEY FROM GAMESTOP

CALLING TO LET YOU KNOW

TALES OF SYMPHONIA: DAWN NEW WOLD, SHOULD BE ARRIVING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

^ well at least someone thinks this game is coming out.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2008, 05:26:58 PM »
Pro is stuck at work.  Pro will pickup the game after work.  Pro has played the previous game about 10 times (7 of which during multiplayer).  Pro is interested in the new game.

Here's why Pro has been very interested in the game:
[since the vast majority of the reviews/previews/impressions on the major press outlets have been unreliable in the pursuit of raw gameplay info and functionality, the below is based on REALITY and the various promo statements provided by the game's publisher and developers.]

1.  The retail price is ~$40USD
>>  Scamco knows the game is a half-assed rehash, so they priced it almost accordingly.  In stark contrast, Tales of Vesperia 360 is $55 USED/PRE-OWNED/VIOLATED/TAINTED/UNVIRGINATED.  holy ****, what is wrong with this generation

2.  It's a direct sequel.
>>  The first direct sequel in the series.  I can actually get some idea of what happened after the stupid ending, like what did Lloyd name the dumb tree at the end, who got pregnant, etc.  A refreshing break from the typical open-ended Japanese game ending, and slightly more interactive than the 2-hour ending to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and His Men Couldn't Put Humpty Back Together Again.

3.  Bonus items from cleared GameCube save files.
>>  Hell yes.  I don't mind if it's crap, it's nice they thought of including it.  A neat way to reward returning customers, it's a much better payoff than anything I got from entering rubbish PIN numbers.  It's probably the first notable time such a thing will succeed since Shenmue 2 read Shenmue 1 save files (if you try to mention anything else, i haven't heard of it, so it wasn't notable in the first place), and it's far from the disaster of Banjo-Kazooie's/Tooie's failed attempt to piggyback data (buried underneath IGN rumors and action replay codes).

4.  The overworld is gone.
>>  Face it, Tales overworlds have been pretty useless.  To hell with random battles in ugly terrain assaulted by monster avatars dashing from nowhere for some surprise sex.  The real work happens in dungeons/towns and isolated areas with geometry and features that's properly scaled to your characters.  Twilight Princess' overworld was lackluster, and someone smart at Namco realized this.  Hell, can you imagine the Namco Tales team(s) producing an overworld that was worth keeping?  The game wouldn't have come out till 2011!

5.  The Sorceror's Ring.
>>  The Sorceror's Wiing.  We finally get to apply it in a way that makes SENSE.  Pointy controls to the max.

6.  Only Two new characters + returning cast.
>>  I like the previous cast, minus Lloyd minus Kratos.  The pathetic truth is many players of the first game only learned how to use Lloyd.  Makes some sense since he's the most accessible character for dishing out the most damage in the shortest time, but in the process they did not get to realize the wealth of strategies and nuances possible within the framework of the combat system via the other characters.  Spamming magick attacks, regerating HP/TP via combos, combo chaining gimmicks, etc, things that simply won't get utilized by using Lloyd alone (otherwise you get a typical battle where you spam Lloyd's moves, waste tons of TP, then interrupt the game to use a recovery item; or to remedy that, you spend days grinding your characters to lvl. 150 -- get off my internet, n00b).  So you hand someone Street Fighter II, and they only learn to use Ryu in the five years they play the game, right?  FUCKING. WRONG.  So the new game introduces and Emil and Marta, and they both appear to be combo-friendly characters, which provides variety yet narrows the focus for players and hopefully avoids another "use Lloyd and ignore everyone else" game plan.  Please try learning someone else besides the whiny sword-wielding boy character.  I'll be able to use Sheena+Collette+Presea again <3

7.  Three distinct endings.
>>  Another first for the series, the scope of the game's happy end isn't completely set in stone.  Whether they're like Castlevania games that show incomplete endings based on completion %, I don't know.  But imagine, you could have:  Emil & Marta get married (bad ending); Emil becomes of the ghey (good ending); and Marta becomes a real boy (best ending, requires the most time and dedication).  THE POWER OF CHOICE IS YOURS.

8.  Monster allies.
>>  More interesting junk to collect that may prove to be useful.  One of the things I'd enjoy/obsess over in the first game was reconfiguring gear and attacks to gain an elemental advantage.  Naturally, the elemental gear was limited in number and practicallity.  Fortunately, the monsters in this game are tied to elements, providing a whole new layer of options and configurations for me to mess with.  If I'm not mistaken, this is also the first Wii adventure ahead of Overlord and Pikmin where you have critters do your bidding, and the results look and play better than Kameo.

8.  8 waggle shortcuts.
>>  I don't have full details on how shortcuts are configured (yet), but executing these motions should be just another piece of cake like No More Heroes' finishing slices.  On GameCube, there were a total of 6 shortcuts: 4 attached to the B-button (like Smash Brothers), plus 2 on the C-stick (which could call up a spell/attack from a different party member).  By default, the Wii D-pad can have 4 shortcuts assigned, and it's not clear if the D-pad shortcuts overlap with 4 of the 8 waggle shortcuts.  But to even have 8 shortcuts to use would be fantastic, especially if 4 could call on other characters techniques, like multiple on-demand healing/attack spells or special attacks for combo assistance.

9.  Various Battle improvements.
>>  Limitations in the battle arena and camera system in the GameCube game would often interfere with my ability to play in a multiplayer session (usually i'd just team up with the lead player or stand back as a mage, minimizing camera issues).  I hear the camera zooms out properly, and characters are allowed to "leave" their current battle line/enemy-lock and roam the field.  So not only will I see my character properly, I won't have to pause the battle to change the enemy i'm locked onto, hopefully providing a smoother multiplayer experience that I'll get to veg-out on another 5-10 play-thrus.  Same-screen local multiplayer JRPGs?  Yeah, what a crazy idea.

10.  It came out this year.
>>  Believe it or not, it's out this year.  Today, in fact.  As opposed to NEXT year.  The SAME YEAR the Japanese version came out, sho nuff.  If this new game followed the GameCube release timeline, we wouldn't be seeing this game until NEXT FALL.  GameCube USA - 2001; ToS USA - 2004; Wii USA - 2006; ToS2 USA - 2008.  UNPOSSIBLE!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
When I started out I used Lloyd. Later on I liked using Collete Genis and Presea.When I was playing multiplayer I would typically be Raine,Genis, or Presea.I like using everybody. Regal and Kratos I played with but I didn't like that Kratos sword was slow. Regal was great but I liked Presea, Genis and Raine.

Using the elements and combo healing is important for Collete in the Coliseum.

The endings are determend by what choices you make and also the final battle.

I haven't found the game yet. I will go out again tomorrow.
Alexis, she/her/Miss