Author Topic: Play GC through a laptop?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline popkorn1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Play GC through a laptop?
« on: June 12, 2003, 02:03:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's an adapter that lets you hook up the GC to a computer monitor, but is there something that will work though a laptop?  I don't know if the same adapter would work, or how to find that adapter.  I figure it'd be different, since you need to have a laptop powered on to use the screen, and a computer monitor is stand-alone.  Anyone know?

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 02:32:49 PM »
I've seen Laptops with video output, but I'm not sure about input. If you've got a laptop with VGA input though, the GC monitor adaptor will work just fine (you just have to know how to make the laptop use the external signal). The question then is if you can put up with the LCD's bad refresh rate.

Offline Cube323

• View Profile
RE: Play GC through a laptop?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 02:42:39 PM »
I have a laptop docking station that has all sorts of video input jacks.  I think that it should be possible to play GC through a laptop, but why would you want to?  Unless you really need an extra screen.  I know that problem.  My girlfriend has the worst taste in tv.  Thank God for PC games and console emulators.  Whenever she watches one of her shows, I retreat to my laptop and some good old console emulation.

Good luck.  Let me know if you get a solid answer to this question

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 03:02:06 PM »
You know, I'd like to see what console games are like through some of those silly expensive vga 3D VR glasses they sell for PCs.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 03:36:38 PM »
Yeah I know it seems like a dumb idea to play on the laptop... and my reasoning is kind of ridiculous.  I bought a tent so me and my friends could camp in my backyard, and I already bring my laptop out to watch movies on it - I was just hoping I could connect the GameCube to it so we can play, instead of having to buy the portable monitor.  So, thats the backstory for ya  Thanks for your help so far guys

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 05:45:32 PM »
lol... camping in the backyard... with a GameCube and a laptop.  I'm speechless.  I am just begging to know what you were smoking when you thought up that idea.  I might want some.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 08:51:39 PM »
You may be able to do it if you laptop has an S-video connection like some video cards do, the only problem is the audio cables.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 07:59:13 AM »
Yeah, my laptop has S-Video, but it's only for tv-out, not in.  bummer.  so it seems like its not too likely huh!  oh well.  you gotta admit that camping in the backyard playing gamecube sounds fun though

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 01:25:44 PM »
You need a TV Tuner device for the notebook that will work with your computer and it's video card.

These devices go through USB, and will run you roughly 100 dollars, mabye less.

They are good, they let you do video/sound in, and then cable tv in as well.  Some have more features.

Also, using an LCD flatscreen for playing GCN looks nice.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile