Author Topic: Has anyone had this problem with the memroy card?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline K-Man

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Has anyone had this problem with the memroy card?
« on: April 22, 2003, 01:20:45 AM »
I get home the other dayafter buying Vexx. (lol, in E.B. they had Vexx on XBox and PS2 ro $89.95 AUS and the GCN version was only $29.95 AUS. Luck, I own all 3 systems!) I was playing it, and later on turned it off.

I turned on the GCN and held down the "A" button to go to the Main GCN Screen. I went to "Memory Card" to have a look at what the picture looked like. TO my surprise the Memory Card had erased all my previous saved games except for Sonic Mega Collection and my last save of Vexx.

ALong with that went my completed SSX Tricky, 93% Starfox Adventures, Nilly completed SUper Mario Sunshine, I only had the last challenge to do on Super Smash Brother Melee! My completed Burnout, my completed Rogue Leader 2, and last but not least, my completed Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3.

Now, that is really annoying. Now I know how Nintendo gets there reply value, lol. I think the Card was nilly full anyway. SO it might of erased the games I hadden't played for awhile.

Stupid thing, has anyone else had this problem?
Australia -4- Life

i know who you are...
...the leader of my soul...
...you can't kill me...
...im immortal!!!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 02:26:28 AM »
too much australian slang to be really readable, but I would have to say no.  My first party memory cards have always functioned just fine.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 07:26:09 AM »
I had something like that happen...metroid prime at 73% got erased, i'm not sure if i did it by mistake or not though.  A big frickin, annoying mystery.....
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 01:43:42 PM »
Was it first party?  I've heard alot about the third parties' memory card's files self-deleting (it's interesting how we need to make up words for some companies ) or corrupting.  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 07:25:01 PM »
Third party memory cards are awful.  Never get them.

GameCube ones are reliable... uless you have power outage during save/load, or you pull out the card or turn the console off with save/load
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 01:08:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
too much australian slang to be really readable,

Struth, what'cha talkin' about mate? We be typin' just like any of yoose. Bloody hell K-Man, sounds like your memory card thinger is a real bastard. Maybee it wasn't fully inserted in, ya know? Cripes! It may of been a real slacker when it's not in all the way. Or maybeeee it was jus' being a bitch?

Fair go.
Tell him he's dreamin'

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 04:13:07 AM »
Haha! well done Infernal Monkey. But unless your australasian, that was fairly hard to decipher. K-man looks weak next to you! but seriously K-man. what card are you using?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Praxius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 07:22:01 AM »
Well as they say in my line of work (You should have backed up your work) In other words, Should have bought a second memory card, just incase, and at the end of the week, copy it all over to the second card and put it away somewhere. This has been known to happen to Memory cards, not just with Gamecube, but also with PS-PS/2 and the sort.

It also has to do with your memory card's age.... after a while it will degrade..... heck, back in the Super nintendo days (Yeah, that's right, i still play it) My Super Mario World will sometimes be wiped clean, if it is removed in an odd way. I found out that even if you turn the console off, if you pull the card (Or in my case wih Super Mario World)  in some odd angle or put it in not all the way and power it up, it can cause a surge (Very small one) that has the potintial of wiping your information, except all that is hardwired into the device. (ie: Electrical Surge and Memory Section of a Device = Magnet and a Video Tape)

Even though the Gamecube is shut off, it is still plugged into the wall and therefore still has power. Just be careful how you pull it out or what you put near your console. (No Magnets, or Radioactive Monkeys)
*Exit The Prax*

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 09:17:23 AM »
Not all third party cards are bad! I have had a Nyko card for 6 months and it works beautifully. I have NEVER lost a game or ANY data.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 06:41:43 PM »
Be careful Chris, your last save may be the end to all your save files.

Offline ZombieX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2003, 11:18:23 PM »
Do you have your system modded to play other regions?  Just wondering because if one has a memory card filled with U.S. saves and sticks it into a system set to play Japan/Europe games, the system will format the memory card to make it ready for Japanese/Europe saves.  
***The Nintendo Difference***

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2003, 03:36:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Struth, what'cha talkin' about mate? We be typin' just like any of yoose. Bloody hell K-Man, sounds like your memory card thinger is a real bastard. Maybee it wasn't fully inserted in, ya know? Cripes! It may of been a real slacker when it's not in all the way. Or maybeeee it was jus' being a bitch?

Fair go.
Tell him he's dreamin'
Strewth, not struth. I guess that shows how uncommon this slang really is, when people who are supposed to use it can't spell it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2003, 03:49:51 AM »

Strewth, not struth. I guess that shows how uncommon this slang really is, when people who are supposed to use it can't spell it.

Aw jeez louise whats tha bloody difference mate? Strewth, struth, who gives a flying farnacle! An whats all this talk about memory cards ay? Struth barramundi! What kind of flamin mongrel woulda called em that? I'da called em chazwazza's.

*picks up smokes, puts on midnight oil's greatest hits, lays back*