Author Topic: Stanley Cup Playoffs  (Read 22405 times)

Offline swimguy228

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2003, 02:37:59 PM »
"The trap" has definintely ruined the Eastern Conference as far as excitement is concerned.

Aneheim may be in trouble now that Dallas has cracked Giguere, but all goalies are allowed one bad game right?
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2003, 07:20:21 PM »
yeah, he is definitely better than that game.  he still had a very fine regular season.  his hot streak may be over, but he's still good enough to help carry the ducks i think.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2003, 09:48:10 PM »
It seems that the ducks have made me wrong on two series now.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2003, 05:08:03 AM »
Well, the Flyers got their asses handed to them.  Now, for the absolute worst eastern conference finals matchup ever-trap vs trap.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2003, 08:21:37 AM »
lol.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2003, 04:43:50 PM »
Oh, but just wait for the Stanley Cup Finals where it will be Duh-Duh-Duuuuh...

Giguere vs. the trap.

I can't wait for all the 1-0 games with a total of 24 shots on goal.

The playoffs suck so much without the Wings in it.

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2003, 06:13:25 PM »
i wouldnt go that far.  i love seeing new teams in the hunt.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2003, 06:54:18 PM »
Yeah, i'm kind of rooting for the Ducks myself-never will I root for another eastern conference team.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2003, 06:59:34 PM »
I remeber back when the wings sucked huge ass, good times.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2003, 04:17:05 PM »
Oh yeah, well I remember back when the devils won based off of talent, rather than some stupid system that has taken the excitement away from the game.

Wait, they were never succesful without "the trap".

Game 7 between Vancouver and Minnesotta tonight, can't wait.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2003, 08:26:22 PM »
Wild win! I'm gonna laugh at all you 'trap haters' if it is Wild v Devils in the final. (in that case, Devils in 5)

Oh and the Devils have plenty of talent.  

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2003, 10:42:15 AM »
The Wild are finished. They're down 2-0 against Giguere, and they haven't even scored in the series.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2003, 06:26:09 PM »
After the last two rounds I would NEVER count the wild out after 2 games. A team has to win 4 games to advance not 2, and it doesn't matter by how many goals, the ducks could win the next game 20-0 and the wild win the following 4 by a score 1-0, they still win the series. If you learned anything this playoff year its never count your chickens before they hatch, Colorado and Vancouver both learned that lesson.  

Offline baberg

• View Profile
RE: Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2003, 06:42:46 PM »
My predictions (which were made last Friday, before Game 1 of each series):

Ducks in 5.  Giguere is unstoppable and the Wild have outlasted their luck.  They're tired, they're worn out, and they're outclassed.
Devils in 6.  Tough call here, but the Devils have patience and won't take too many stupid penalties.  Senators just don't look like they want to win.

The Cup: Devils in 5.  The Ducks will take the first or second game away from the Devils as New Jersey underestimates them.  The others go to the Devils, and they celebrate in New Jersey after game 5.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2003, 11:08:41 PM »
Hells yea, the cup is gonna be getting off the jersey turnpike at exit 16w baby!

(16W...thats cool, 16w = 16 wins  = the number needed to claim lord stanley's cup)  

Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2003, 08:02:12 AM »
anyone know if there is a precedent for a team failing to score a goal during the course of a 4-game sweep? if paul kariya stays hot, the ducks might actually be able to win it all. think of all the rioting and looting that would ensue at DisneyLand, oh the humanity!!!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2003, 12:00:18 PM »
the Flyers only scored 2 goals against Ottawa last season, managing to win 1 game.

Go Sixers!

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2003, 06:35:39 PM »
a 4 game shutout series win, I know for a fact it hasn't ever happened post-expansion(1967) and i'm pretty sure that it hasn't happend since the NHL took control over the cup(1926-27 season).

I've checked my records and..... Four times in playoff history one club has shut out the other for an entire series, but those sets lasted only two games and none occurred after 1939, so no 4 game shutout series ever.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2003, 12:43:21 PM »
Giguere is approaching the record for the longest shutout streak in the playoffs. The record is held by Detroit Red Wing (yeah!) Nortie Smith, who kept the puck out of the net for around 248 minutes. Giguere has gone roughly 208 minutes. I'm am not 100% on these numbers.

I do know one thing though, Giguere has become the first goalie to have a shutout streak over 200 minutes in both the playoffs and the regular season in the same year.

I don't think that the Wild will score in this series, but i don't want a Red Wing record to go down. Thus, Giguere must not break Hasek's record of 6 shutouts in the playoffs that he set last year.  

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2003, 04:15:22 PM »
the longest shutout streak in playoff history is 270:08, set by George Hainsworth of the Montreal Canadiens in 1930.  There is also the 248:35 streak by Dave Kerr of the New York Rangers in 1937.  Then comes Norm Smith's 248:32 streak in 1936.

.....the streak is over, the Wild score on the power play in the first, about 30 seconds ago.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2003, 06:13:01 AM »
Yeah, I saw that on ESPN. Now I feel bad for not wanting Giguere to break the record. Well, he still set the record for the least amount of goals allowed in series with a minimum of 4 games with just that 1.

Ducks are in the finals and ready to kick some Devils or Senators butt.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2003, 12:50:40 PM »
I just watched game 4 of NJ/OTT, and it would appear that Ottawa has some tee times they want to make cause they sure as hell aren't playing three periods of hockey. 5-2 the score in that game. NJ well on the way to winning thier 3rd cup.

Offline showtime

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2003, 09:08:56 PM »
first of all i have to say im pleased with the amount of leaf haters here
at the start of the playoffs i thot i wouldve been happy with an underdog and new jerey(probably, hopefully not tho) in the finals, but, its just not the same without detriot/ colorado/ dallas. If ottawa doesnt make the finals, ive decided to boycott my favorite sport to watch because teams like new jersey and anaheim are killing hockey (just like don cherry said). It is no longer fun to watch. Sitting back and flicking the puck out of danger and waiting... and waiting... and waiting for one chance off the other teams mistake isnt hockey. I realize that these teams do not have the skill level as colo/ det/ dal/ ott and thats why they have to do this to win, but this is taking it too far. It's embarassing how boring the finals could be this year. Oh well, maybe next year it will be back to the excitement of the more talented and risky teams. Well i'm off to watch basketball, which never fails to excite its fans at playoff time.    
leafs suck

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2003, 01:46:44 PM »
First off, Hap Day invented the netrual zone trap 50 years ago. Second every team plays it to some degree. Thrid playing the trap has nothing to do with lack of talent. Fourth Don Cherry has become an ass.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2003, 05:16:26 PM »
Looks as though the Senators live to see another day. This may prove to be trouble in the end for the Ducks because too much rest is never a good thing.