Author Topic: Red Star?  (Read 2689 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Red Star?
« on: August 31, 2005, 05:44:36 AM »
I know, I know, I'm kinda late to notice this and people have been speculating before but:

Read the background.

Sorry for the Gamespy link, PGC doesn't have that pic.

I can understand why they changed that to "orange" in the western versions... Does the "Black Hole" army use the swastika in Japan?

Same origin as the red star in SMB?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Red Star?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 04:59:12 PM »
I always suspected as such about the whole/orange/red star thing.  Good to get some confirmation.

If you hit next on at the bottom, you'll see the end of Black Hole's logo. I guess if you were thinking of the Swastika, you can kind of see it. Otherwise, its benign if you ask me.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Red Star?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 05:01:52 PM »
the swastika is a pretty common symbol in asian regions since it has been used for mileniums by budhists, so it sucks that sometimes there such a big scandal about it, the budhist swastika is even backwards to the nazi one.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 02:02:42 AM »
Yes but it's kinda obvious that the "Black Hole" army was inspired by the Nazis.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 04:20:51 AM »
oh I didnt know anything about this army, thats why I supposed it was a budhist symbol. I was talking  more about the scandal that happened because the swastika was in some pokemon cards and Nintendo had to remove it.

And well, we cant forget what kind of star Mario raises in SMB cant we?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 08:21:06 AM »
Yeah. The question is if the red star in SMB and AW is related.

The swastika is also a kanji, Majimaru (I think that was his name) in Dream Mix TV World Fighters has that as part of his name .

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 08:34:04 AM »
The western ad still uses red star.  At first I thought it was an oversite, I didn't know that's what they were actually called in other versions.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 11:34:44 AM »
That site is really funny, but I think the choice of colors in SMB and basically any other NES game was because of the NES capabilities at that moment, another reason why I personally think that Link and Samus had always been intented to be blonde, but the NES graphical capabilities didnt allow a good representation of that, imagine Samus without her brown hair in the original Metroid and with a yellow one, it wouldnt look ok at all, the same with SMB, red offers a perfect contrast with the blue sky or the black castles.

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 12:18:07 AM »
The least Intelligent Systems could have done was pallete swapped the "Red Star" insignia to orange... it's clearly red ingame.  
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 03:01:13 PM »
Glory to the Red Army!

This is great. I just got Advance Wars: Dual Strike a week ago, and just finished reading a book on the Eastern Front in WWII. The Reds used a method called 'Deep Strike', using concentrated infantry and armored units to breech the enemy defence, then sending in mobile divisions to exploit it. Encircling the enemy force, capturing its HQ and then either forcing it to surrender or crushing it. I can't wait to try it out.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.