Author Topic: How often/do you ever trade/sell your games?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
How often/do you ever trade/sell your games?
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:27:55 AM »
For me, I don't bother to trade or sell my games to a big box store or something like GameStop. Instead, if it's a game that I didn't feel an attachment to, I will put it on eBay or trade on a site I go to regularly. When compared to my collection, the amount of games I trade/sell is a pithy amount. Of course, there have been times I've sold something that I didn't think I'd ever want to play, and then I get the feeling to play it months later. Oops!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: How often/do you ever trade/sell your games?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:52:34 AM »
Having gone almost exclusively digital in recent years, I haven't done this that much because I haven't had the option.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »
I used to have the problem where I traded in WAAAY to many games so I could get more. Then I wanted to replay some of those games. Then some of those games shoot way up in price. Then I couldn't get them anymore. So now I don't do it much if at all.

Its a scam anyways. You can sell all of it online for more money anyways, you just have to deal with selling it online.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
I almost never sell games anymore because the return value is (usually) laughably small.

I do sometimes trade games online and have found that to offer reasonable value, but try to be very selective and only send out games that I really don't care about. The big advantage to trading: sometimes you can receive old or unusual games through trade much cheaper/easier than from other sources. For example, finding GBA games locally sucks and I've gotten better results (ie: avoiding counterfeits) trading than though eBay or online retailers. So I try to keep a bit of trade credit at my favorite just in case something cool pops up.

:)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:11:21 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »
I really try not to do this. there's usually two exceptions to my rule; need of money for an emergency (usually I try to sell games for a console I no longer own when this happens), or it's a game I have a particular ire for.

I think last time i did one of those Rage trades though was me getting rid of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow while it still had value for something else. Might have actually been Other M. which I liked better than I liked Lords of Shadow from a gameplay perspective.

I can actually think of quite a few games I've traded in out of extreme disappointment.

Unlimited SaGa
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Animal Crossing
Yoshi's Island DS
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Final Fantasy XIII
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 04:53:36 PM »
There have been a lot of times I've traded things in and really regretted it, only to end up buying them again later, including multiple consoles. Basically every time I've traded in hardware that I didn't have something else that was backward compatible with I've ended up going back and getting it again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
Haven't traded or sold anything in a long time. I've typically only gone for games that I know I will keep for a long time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »
I have honestly never traded a game in ever.  I didn't know you could do it prior to the 32/64 bit era and during that time I had no current videogame system to have games to trade in.  I didn't have money, my parents weren't buying me an N64 or PlayStation, and even if I traded in a SNES game it probably would have been worth squat.  I'm fortunate that in my adult life I've never been in such financial peril that trading in games would have been necessary.  I have too much attachment to my games (mostly because I remember years without any) to trade them in just to save a few bucks on another game.  It would have to be an absolute emergency.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
I've only ever sold a handful of games in my lifetime, definitely less than ten, and even some of those I regret (though I think I only ever ended up buying back one). I like to replay games and I'm also a little bit of a collector so I like having the stuff around.

That said, I don't like digital games because I like having the option to sell in case I ever need to. As someone who lives paycheck to paycheck, I think of my gaming junk as an investment, and should I ever need money then I know I can get back the money spent on it from selling it. Digital games are effectively worth nothing.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
It doesn't really count, but my mother sold both our NES and SNES at garage sales, without my knowledge, for laughably small prices and I've since bought both systems again for a substantial amount more money. Since then I'm in the "I have never traded in a game" camp. I'm generally a bit of a hoarder and keep a lot of things I generally don't use or haven't for a good amount of time, but gosh darn it I want the opportunity to should it arise!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:01 PM »
I used to buy and sell and trade games all the time on my website and at a local shop. I almost made a career out of it, well video games, comic books, Transformers, Star Wars stuff, and random junk. I was doing pretty good for a while but Hasbro began re-issuing a lot of the collectible figures, Nintendo and company began reissuing digital games devaluing many of the common stuff and everything else sort of became more hassle than it was worth. Values on some stuff picked back up but for a while NES and even SNES games were damn near worthless.

At one point in time or another I have owned almost every game console ever made. The only ones I have never owned are 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo, and Turbo Graphix, yeah that means I even had a CD-i.

Lately I been having a strong desire to get back into collecting but I don't know where to start, video games or Transformers.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:54:16 AM »
Yeah, mark me down as having never traded or sold a game. I'm frankly amazed that people do but I'm glad they do because it allows me to pick them up at a lower price. I used to rent video games growing up from Blockbuster which was a more affordable way to play other games. Yet, even games I beat from renting, I eventually would or have gotten around to buying if I liked them just because they are good enjoyable games. Games are not always a one and done experience with me. If they're enjoyable, I like to go back through them again. Heck, I can still play the Donkey Kong Country trilogy today and enjoy it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
I trade a lot in, but I'm more likely to just go digital.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 07:57:32 AM »
Yeah, mark me down as having never traded or sold a game. I'm frankly amazed that people do but I'm glad they do because it allows me to pick them up at a lower price. I used to rent video games growing up from Blockbuster which was a more affordable way to play other games. Yet, even games I beat from renting, I eventually would or have gotten around to buying if I liked them just because they are good enjoyable games. Games are not always a one and done experience with me. If they're enjoyable, I like to go back through them again. Heck, I can still play the Donkey Kong Country trilogy today and enjoy it.

THIS

Like I said, the ONLY way I trade in is if I am under great financial instability or the game felt like an insult to me to the point that the mere sight of the box is something that stirs memories of disdain in my heart.