Author Topic: Surprise Psychonauts update! Steam achievements + Mac version  (Read 3276 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Surprise Psychonauts update! Steam achievements + Mac version
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »
This came out of nowhere.  Psychonauts got an update on Steam today.  Updates include achievements and a Mac version.  Also, they made the infamously difficult final level easier (I'm a little disappointed, actually, since I'd wanted to replay it since reading Tim Schafer's explanation of how you were supposed to use the various powers in the level).  No word on bug fixes, such as the horribly buggy rope climbing that put an end to my own replay last year and the desynchronization in the intro movie, but I'm hoping.

This plus Double Fine's full ownership of Psychonauts since June makes me wonder if Schafer may have more planned.

Edit:  The achievements aren't terribly interesting.  You probably can't expect much when shoehorning them into an old game, though.  The full list (minor spoilers):

I'm Sure She's Over It
Uncover Milla's Secret

I Think They Were Impressed
Introduce all Camp Kids to Mr. Pokeylope

Self Aware
See yourself through the eyes of many others

Look at those Pansies!
Find Edgar's Secret Garden

No Solid Food for Six Hours
Re-brain the Children

They Call Me the Hunter
Redeem all 16 Scavenger Hunt Items

I'm Gonna Live Forever
Find all Golden Helmets

Victory Tour
Revisit all brains after completion

Mmm… Bacon!
Use the bacon. A lot.

Stump Speech
Give the Coach's speech on the stump

Camp Gossip
Read many bulletin board messages

A Slice of History
Discover the secret history of Whispering Rock

Maybe It's the Hair
Spy on Bobby's love life

Made Man
Witness Maloof's transformation

I LOVE PUNCHING!
Complete the Punchy Target mini-game

Wolpaw Says Thanks
Hear Vernon's Ghost Story

They Should Totally Sell Those
Earn all Merit Badges

Figgy Piggy
Gather all Figments

You're All So Kind
Complete Gloria’s Theater

Thanks for All the Snails
Complete Waterloo World

I Always Loved You More
Complete Black Velvetopia

Time to Deliver the Milk
Complete The Milkman Conspiracy

For Insurance Reasons
Complete Lungfishopolis

A Victory for Good Taste
Complete Sasha’s Shooting Gallery

Rolling Rock Star
Complete Milla’s Dance Party

Height of Insanity
Complete The Asylum

I Thought That Was Unbeatable!
Complete Meat Circus

Math is Hard
Achieve Rank 101

Happy Bags
Sort all Emotional Baggage

No More Secrets
Crack all Vaults

Super PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 80

Advanced PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 60

Junior PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 20

Regular PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 40

Your Last Chance to Chicken Out
Complete Basic Braining
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:46:43 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Surprise Psychonauts update! Steam achievements + Mac version
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »
The only part of the last level I remember hating was trying to climb to the top while the water was raising. I can't tell you how many times I missed the fence and fell in (and I never had a problem with the controls on any other level). I loved the game and have replayed it on the Xbox and Xbox 360 many times (one of the only Xbox games I have done this with since I loved the game enough to start over with no save state). And I was proud to beat the game with 101 rank to unlock the bonus cutcscene. I wasn't a big fan of Black Velvetopia (the world with the bull), but even that was good. I admit that I had to use a guide to collect all of the stuff like figments since some of them are pretty well hidden and out of the way.

Schafer gave an explanation on how he feels you are supposed to beat it? I would love to hear his thoughts.

What are the differences between the PC and Xbox versions (I know there was a PlayStation 2 version, but that was an inferior port handled by Budcat Creations rather than Double Fine Productions themselves)?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »
I never played this game but heard mostly good things, and I like to support developers who support the Mac platform, so this is very tempting.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »
Download finished, and bleh to the intro movie still desyncing.  No time to find a rope to climb tonight, but if that's not fixed, I'm going to be disappointed.  Getting my hopes up with an update after so long, and it doesn't even fix bugs?  I'll have to deliver some milk to Double Fine HQ, to make a labored reference.

Schafer gave an explanation on how he feels you are supposed to beat it? I would love to hear his thoughts.

It's been so long that my memory is probably wrong, because this (from doublefine.com) is all I could find, but it sounds kind of like what I remember:

What’s up with Meat Circus?

What’s up with Meat Circus is that you’re a sissy. Sure, sure, invisibility is very important when Raz’s dad is trying to knock you off those tight ropes. And your shield will bounce the knife thrower’s blades right into those spinning target wheels. And also you can throw a confusion grenade at that bunny and then just go pick it up, instead of trying to grab it with Telekinesis. Those things are also true. But the main point I’m trying to make here is that first one, about you being a sissy.