Author Topic: Old pc games/nostalgia  (Read 16656 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Old pc games/nostalgia
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
Would like to play the Myth games again. One of the few RTS games I could get into, and it was when I actually liked Bungie games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
I'm getting the urge to play either Sim City 2000 or Sim Tower. The one bad thing about Apple totally rewriting the operating system with OS X is that all my old games no longer run natively, but I've got a Classic Mac emulator running 9.1 that lets me play them. I'd gladly buy them on Steam or GoG if they'd release them there, though, as it would be less complicated to play them that way.

It's not like the Steam or GoG versions of old games are updated for new operating systems.  They'd still require the emulator.  Unless you just want someone else to futz with the emulator for you, which Steam at least does in some cases.  I think that's up to the publisher, though.

The games I've bought on GoG run natively on a modern OS (well, Windows, which is close enough :P). Maybe not all of them do, though. I still have to run them through CrossOver, but that's a lot simpler than booting up a full virtual machine in order to play them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »
The games I've bought on GoG run natively on a modern OS (well, Windows, which is close enough :P). Maybe not all of them do, though. I still have to run them through CrossOver, but that's a lot simpler than booting up a full virtual machine in order to play them.

Are they on this list?  If so, then GoG is just futzing with the emulator for you like I said.  :)  You might even get a performance boost by changing to a Mac build of DOSBox instead of using CrossOver.  Otherwise, I'd guess they aren't actually old enough to have compatibility problems, or at least none that CrossOver itself doesn't already deal with, if they're Windows games.

In checking that out, I found out that GoG has the Wing Commander games now!  Woohoo!

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
I've bought two games through GoG. One is on that list (Master of Orion 2), the other is not (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri). Even if they're emulated, it's still simpler and more straightforward to play them that way than the way I do it now. And the GoG version of MoO2 runs better through CrossOver than my old Mac copy runs through my Mac emulator.

J.P. Corbran

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »
Would like to play the Myth games again. One of the few RTS games I could get into, and it was when I actually liked Bungie games.

Still have the cds for Myth 1 and 2.  Best RTS games I ever played.

I know Bungie doesn't own the rights anymore (Myth 3 was made by someone else and I ignored it, apparently wisely based on the reviews) so maybe the other company will throw them on GoG sometime.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »

Still have the cds for Myth 1 and 2.  Best RTS games I ever played.

I know Bungie doesn't own the rights anymore (Myth 3 was made by someone else and I ignored it, apparently wisely based on the reviews) so maybe the other company will throw them on GoG sometime.

What I enjoyed so much about them was that there really wasn't any resource management. your focus was on battle strategy. It was quite unique for the time, and the Total War series kind of carried the torch, though I'd love to see another game in the series by a competent developer.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »
I fail :(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:58:58 PM by lolmonade »

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 02:00:57 AM »
What I enjoyed so much about them was that there really wasn't any resource management. your focus was on battle strategy. It was quite unique for the time, and the Total War series kind of carried the torch, though I'd love to see another game in the series by a competent developer.
That's what I liked as well.  I could never get into online Warcraft or Starcraft because setting hot keys and building everything in .2 seconds was the difference between winning and losing.
Myth online and the campaign were amazing because it was just battle strategy done right.  I've never played Total War but you just got me interested

lolmonade, you've gotta rehost those images.  I'm just getting "no linking signs."  What are the names of the games?  I only know Duke 3d and Number Munchers out of the ones I can see.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
My old PC gaming included:

At school:
Number Crunchers
Oregon Trail
Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego?

Amiga:
International Karate+
Turrican
Defender of the Crown
Ducktales game (I can't recall the actual game, but it is the AMIGA game, not the NES game)
Populus
Marble Madness
Bad Dudes
Lemmings
Robocop
North & South
Battle Squadron
Speedball 2

Parents PC as an early teen:
Oregon Trail II
Warcraft II
Duke Nukem 3D

I also recall this RPG/Adventure game that I played on The Amiga (I think) that had a view akin to Sonic 3D blast (But worked well), that was set up that you played the 3 brothers of one family trying to complete some quest.  You played as the oldest brother first, then if you died you used the middle child, and then if you died as the middle brother, you used the youngest one.  Each one had their own individual strengths and weaknesses, and combat was done in-game like a zelda game, except you could obtain weapons of varying usefullness (I think). I would love to find out what this game was and find out if my fond memories match the actual fun of the game (probably not)

All this tells me is that I need to locate a good amiga emulator :(

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:47:36 PM by lolmonade »

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »
I found this great piece of software called Boxer. It's basically a really well-designed and polished frontend for DOSBox that automates a lot of the command line stuff and creates a centralized library for all your games. I know Morari's going to jump on this comment, but it's like if Apple designed DOSBox.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
Wow, just read this whole thread and, wow, gotta try GOG and Dosbox or whatever. Maybe I can get stuff to work? I've had bad luck in the past tho cuz I am not super computer savvy. But I've got nothing to oose (ok, maybe some time and $6 or so)

Anyway, me and computer games go way back. Stuff I really liked on computers dating back to the good ol C64 include;
Archon and Archon 2: Adept
The Bard's Tale
Star Wars games like Rebel Assault and X-Wing and Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter (first time I ever played a game online, it was against a friend, modem to modem)
Ghostbusters
Castle Wolfenstein
Hitchhikers Guide
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Wing Commander IV
Suspended
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Loderunner
Deadline

I bought a Wing Commander set that included WC2 and 3 and Privateer but I could never get it to run on my "modern" PC. Same for System Shock. I really wanted to play Privateer
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
There's a fan made remake of Privateer that ought to work on your modern PC.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
If you play Privateer do so with a Joystick.  In fact, that is true for all the Wing Commander games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 09:37:29 PM »
I found this great piece of software called Boxer. It's basically a really well-designed and polished frontend for DOSBox that automates a lot of the command line stuff and creates a centralized library for all your games. I know Morari's going to jump on this comment, but it's like if Apple designed DOSBox.

Is DOSBox mac compatible only?  I looked on their website and it only showed downloads for macs.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
The specific program I mentioned, Boxer, is Mac-only. Regular DOSBox is definitely not.

J.P. Corbran

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »
Bumping this thread because I got some older games over the holidays (Sanitarium and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines) and I am now encountering something I never have before: Patch wars.

There is an unofficial patch and true patch for Bloodlines and both people claim their patch is the one that only fixes bugs.  From what I can see the unofficial patch seems to add/mod things which is why the true patch was made to begin with.  I don't like to play games modded the first time (unless it's a BethSoft game and I get to put in every mod at my discretion) so I think I'll be giving the truepatch a shot.  Does anyone have any insight into the situation?

Did anybody else get some classic games over the holidays?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:31:03 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
The Unofficial Patch has made a lot of headway since I last played Bloodlines. It was pretty much mandatory by the time I made it to my third or fourth play through. The True Patch didn't exist at the time, nor was the Unofficial Patch adding in so many community made things.

While it's nice that the Unofficial Patch re-enables features found in the code that Troika never finished, it also aims to merge many fan-made mods. Almost all of them are great mods, but some bugs may be introduced with that goal. On the other hand, you're not really going to be missing out on anything by using the True Patch, as Bloodlines is a great game in its own right. It is in fact the game that others should have been striving to be ever since. Aside from a sloppy ending, obviously thrown together to get the game out the door before Troika went under.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
As far as old PC games go, there's one game I never finished that I hope to be able to on my new laptop: Mechwarrior 3.  That's right, Mechwarrior 3, not Mechwarrior 2.  It was the first Mechwarrior game I ever played, and I've probably played the first half of that game at least a dozen times over the years.  Heh, and playing it always gets me in the mood to rewatch Gundam 8th MS Team.   :D

I just loved the customization you had over your mech, the way your scavenged for parts, the way you could walk in one direction and shoot in another (so long as the target was within your firing arc), and even simple things like how you could command & protect a team of supply trucks to resupply/repair your mech.  Then there was the Alpha Strike, the one-press "**** You" button where you unleashed all your weapons at once.  Ah...memories.

Sadly, Mechwarrior 3 was the last MW game I could stand to play in 1st person cockpit mode, as Mechwarrior 4 (while still a fun game) removed the ability to aim your weapons and move independently.  And unfortunately, apparently Mechwarrior 3 was not compatible with my 2005 laptop's graphics card.  I'm hoping to have better success with my new 2011 laptop, because I do really want to finish that game.

Speaking of old PC games, though, did anyone else play Alien Legacy back in the day?  It's a neat little Sim City-meets-Battlestar Galactica game I found in a garage sale about 12 or so years ago.  It won't play on any modern computer these days because it comes on floppy discs, but I enjoyed it back in High School (I even managed to beat it, which is something of an accomplishment because it's a fairly hard game).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ernesto1

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 01:17:56 PM »
I know some best PC games which were amazing
Commandos 1,2
Swat 2
Super Mario
Snow Bros

Offline Roman

• Score: 0