Author Topic: I have computer related questions. Can you help?  (Read 149447 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I have computer related questions. Can you help?
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
What? Viruses don't just activate or run themselves. At some point you have to tell the code to run. Just plug that bitch into another computer and scan it or grab your data. Then I would wipe that thing.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2010, 12:21:54 AM »
What? Viruses don't just activate or run themselves.
Depending on your windows version and autoplay settings they most certainly can.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2010, 02:05:06 AM »
I'm gonna get an external enclosure and hook it up to a old laptop and scan it from there.

If the laptop gets infected... no one cares. I'll just wipe that and try again. But there may be some data on this drive that I want and I can't even boot the computer up anymore. It was my #1 computer until the one I just built (and my girl got a new laptop the other day too).

Do you think I can just partition the drive and install Win7 on that computer and then virus scan it?
I really don't think there is anything too important on the drive, so I won't shed a tear if I never see it again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
The other computer at my moms house just bluescreened too.

won't boot past the intel inside screen. what can I do?
I'm blaming Norton for this becuase we've had nothing but problems with this program on every XP machine I've installed it on.

Help me please.

I have the HP recovery disc & the the WinXP disc, but it's no good since it will not boot past the first screen on start up.

edit: Computer fixed, and 1st computer is about to get formatted and have Win7 installed next time I go there. Hopefully that solves all problems.

Norton is still saying that there is no virus protection though. If it wasn't free I wouldn't use it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:39:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
Depending on your windows version and autoplay settings they most certainly can.

You can't autoplay a hard drive you plugged into with SATA/IDE.

Norton is still saying that there is no virus protection though. If it wasn't free I wouldn't use it.

Try out other free virus programs, many of them are much less irritating then Norton. Seems most people use AVG these days.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:35:06 AM by DAaaMan64 »

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2010, 12:32:30 AM »

So I should plug it into the other computer that bluescreened earlier today?
take what I want to keep and then wipe it and install Win7?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2010, 12:41:07 AM »

So I should plug it into the other computer that bluescreened earlier today?
take what I want to keep and then wipe it and install Win7?

Oh man, your computers just **** on you don't they? What the hell browser are you using that you have all these problems? Also note that a lot of the time Blue screens are caused back bad hardware, not just software and viruses.

As far as what you should do, just listen to BlackCat, if autorun off a sata/ide harddrive is some how possible like he is sure of, just do it the safest way possible.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2010, 01:56:53 AM »
I blame it on Norton honestly. That's when all the problems started.

The 1st computer was barely ever used and only left on because Magic Jack was hooked to it, the upstairs I fixed but it's because My mom downloads crap and ignores the pop-ups warning her of stuff.

When I was on that computer everyday, there were never any problems. But the installation of Norton is when everything started to go wrong. but only on the XP machines.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »
How to keep a computer running nice in 2 steps:

1. Don't use Internet Explorer. (Use Chrome, FireFox, Opera, or something else.)
2. Use your best judgement about what you download, don't download a ".exe" unless your sure of what it is and where it comes from.

Advanced suggestions:
1. Learn to use msconfig + google. (msnconfig can be used by pressing start -> run -> msconfig. Under the Startup tab, carefully manage what is starting up with your machine. You can google process your not sure about.
2. Learn to manual eliminate threats. Computer running weird / slow? Look for a weird process running in Task Manager, google the name of the ".exe".  That will tell you if it is a safe exe. If it is dangerous, if simply kill the process and delete the .exe wherever you find it. If you can't kill or delete it, reboot in safemode and delete the bitch.  Also look into turning of shitty slow services if your really in need of speed. (You shouldn't be)

I run a Windows machine with and without a virus scanner. I do not need to constantly reinstall windows or "run scans" or any of that bull ****. All I do is the above.

GL

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
let me give a more detailed description of what happened.

2 computers in the house, both on XP. Upstairs (my moms) & downstairs (mine).
My mom uses IE even though I tell her not to and provided her with FF & Chrome.
McAfee always did a decent job of keeping the computer clean, backed up with Malwarebytes and System Mechanic Pro.

Downstairs my computer was always fine. Never a problem. Used only FF & Chrome. McAfee, Malwarebytes & SysMechPro.

Comcast decides that they don't want to give McAfee for free anymore and Norton was now their provided PC Protection package. so you are forced to switch. I install Norton on both machines. After about a week or 2, both Windows Firewall and Norton Total Care (or whatever it's called) says that "There is no Virus Protection on Your Computer". So I uninstall and re-install Norton on both machines. a few days later, same problem.
So I contact Norton about it, and they do some remote access to look at the downstairs computer (I'll just mimic whatever they do on the upstairs if necessary) and they uninstall MalWarebytes saying that it is incompatible.... uninstall and reinstall Norton again.
the next time I visit my moms house a week or 2 later, the computer isn't responding and I find out that it had blue screened.

So i reset it and it loaded up fine but now I see the "There is no Virus Protection on Your Computer" message again. I start looking at all my programs again (no one has used this computer since the last time I used it with the Norton guy), notice nothing out of the ordinary and then my computer bluescreens again. I reboot and contact Norton again dropping the blame on them for their faulty software supposedly not doing what it's supposed to do (Norton telling me there is no virus protection when Norton is the Virus protection) and they take remote control again. several blue screens later, all he did was uninstall and reinstall Norton and leave the case as "Open" since after 2 hours of nothing, I had better things to do than watch him not do anything to fix my problem that his company and their software created.

in the meantime, it's running smooth on the Win7 machine, so I decided to just install Win7 like I meant to many months ago.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:56:10 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
Norton fucking sucks.  It's screwed up a number of computers in my office.  I used to recommend Kaspersky back when there was a free version available, and the same with Avira, but nowadays, Microsoft's own offering is pretty good (coupled with Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware) http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
I got a new problem that I can't seem to fix.

Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer and recently the energy saver option just stop working.
I checked the settings (which seem to be fine) and even turned on the screen saver, but neither of them work.

all night the monitor will stay on if I don't manually turn it off.
Any suggestions?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
Can you try a different monitor?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
Can you try a different monitor?

No, but i've been reading about this online and I'm certainly not the only one having this problem.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/c91674b0-110d-4503-b7ff-037b6eb507dc

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
turns out that it is my magic jack causing the problem.

solution: Unplug it, forward all your calls to your cell phone or let them goto voicemail.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:54:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
DAMN IT. Windows will no longer even boot up for me. I no longer have the start up disc (and they no longer make it since my laptop is about 5 years old). Gateway is willing to do it remotely, but for $99 and I don't have that. I don't want to lose everything saved on the hard drive. BTW, I typed this on my DSi.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »
virus?
can you remove your HDD and hook it up to another computer?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
I don't have access to another PC (except at school).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
better get a friend to download a Windows disc so that you can do a repair on your system.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:01 PM »
Have you tried using a bootable CD like parted magic and a USB hard drive?
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »
Microsoft's own offering is pretty good (coupled with Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware) http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

That is some sound advice, the difference between these and Norton is just phenomenal.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »
I have a 120 GB external HDD(2.5 laptop ATA) that whenever I plug it into a computer it says that a drive for the device can not be found and it does not show up in My Computer. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »
have you tried downloading the driver so that it can be found?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2010, 09:53:40 PM »
have you tried downloading the driver so that it can be found?

How would I do that? Also, if I plugged this hard drive into a machine, would it be able to read the HDD?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »
Find the make and model of the hard drive...and download the driver from the manufacturer's website. If you can get the driver, and the HDD actually works...then it should be able to be read by a "machine" I suppose.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA