Author Topic: IBM Getting More Work from Nintendo  (Read 7539 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
IBM Getting More Work from Nintendo
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:14:54 AM »
The Big N and Big Blue look like they're going to be collaborating again.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=19137

In late July, workers at the IBM office in East Fishkill, New York were called to an all-hands meeting.  This meeting was to announce a new slate of work from Nintendo's Systems and Technology Group, among others.  No indication was made as to the nature of the work involved, and apparently no new workers will be hired for this project.    

IBM has worked closely with Nintendo in the past, with both the GameCube and Wii CPUs based on IBM's jointly-developed PowerPC architecture.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: IBM Getting More Work from Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
I'm surprised it took them this long to put together a team to work on components for the next-generation Nintendo hardware, honestly.  You'd think by now the Wii and DS's true successors would be approaching the middle-to-late stage of development.  Of course, we don't know for a fact that's what IBM's getting contracted to work on, but it's a pretty safe assumption.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
I'll bet that all they are doing is reinstating the chips that IBM had originally planned for Wii before Nintendo made them shelve it and overclock the GC instead.

It was a good call on Nintendos part since Sony & MS were pushing the tech to far too fast (see developers cost sky rocketing by using bleeding edge graphic tech). It also make Next generation R&D much cheaper since, well, its already been done & the cost of achieveing what they want(360/PS3+ level) is already cheap, and getting cheaper.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
I'm surprised it took them this long to put together a team to work on components for the next-generation Nintendo hardware, honestly.  You'd think by now the Wii and DS's true successors would be approaching the middle-to-late stage of development.  Of course, we don't know for a fact that's what IBM's getting contracted to work on, but it's a pretty safe assumption.

I don't think the DS uses any IBM components and I doubt a DS successor would either.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
I would love to know if next-gen is going to follow the tradition of each console being smaller than its predecessor. Wii is practically pushing it close so i would love to know how it's going to turn out size wise.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
I bet they are discussing the technical and business liabilities of returning to cartridges.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
You'd think by now the Wii and DS's true successors would be approaching the middle-to-late stage of development.

LOL

Tell me, they have two systems out which are completely owning all the other systems in their category. Why would they even be THINKING about releasing new systems anytime soon?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
In the past, as soon as the current system is finalized, R&D starts on the next system. Why would that change this time?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
In the past, as soon as the current system is finalized, R&D starts on the next system. Why would that change this time?

Supposedly from what I understand Nintendo has been pouring massive amounts of R&D money into something (or somethings) even more so then with Wii.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
That makes sense.

They started the slope, and now they need to pay hefty to slide down it....if they want to succeed that is.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »

Supposedly from what I understand Nintendo has been pouring massive amounts of R&D money into something (or somethings) even more so then with Wii.

Exactly, but my post was in response to:
You'd think by now the Wii and DS's true successors would be approaching the middle-to-late stage of development.

LOL

Tell me, they have two systems out which are completely owning all the other systems in their category. Why would they even be THINKING about releasing new systems anytime soon?

Nintendo is always THINKING about what it is going to do next, that is why it starts R&D for the next system immediately after finalizing the current system.

And I think that whatever Nintendo has planned for the next system better be really good, because Sony & MS are gonna try to replicate everything that Nintendo did right this time around while also staying ahead of the curve graphically.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »
it begins!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »

Exactly, but my post was in response to:

LOL

Nintendo is always THINKING about what it is going to do next, that is why it starts R&D for the next system immediately after finalizing the current system.

And I think that whatever Nintendo has planned for the next system better be really good, because Sony & MS are gonna try to replicate everything that Nintendo did right this time around while also staying ahead of the curve graphically.

Exactly.  Nintendo always has to be planning for the future, which means doing R&D on the Wii/DS's successors while those platforms are still performing well and bringing in the cash that funds such work.  This ensures that by the time the Wii and DS are in their declining years, the next generation of hardware is ready to go.  Pretty simple, actually, and frankly common sense.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »
Coming up with the next product and deciding when to unleash it are different topics.

I LOL alongside Dirk on this.  Wii/DS are on the 10-year plan to pancake this industry into submission.  3rd parties, prepare your bankruptcy statements.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 05:27:28 AM »
3rd parties, prepare your bankruptcy statements.

"I have no money. You win."?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
Maybe Nintendo will start handing out "Bail Out/Stimulus" loans with exclusivity agreements attached to it.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
Fat chance.  Market prosperity and customers have to be earned.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
Yeah, R&D doesn't mean that they are or even should be "almost done" by now. They have literally zero incentive to release a new console, and all incentive to take their time with the new machine.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »
the official statement will be something like this from the nintendo pr spin.

"We here at Nintendo are always looking to innovate and create new mediums for which we can deliver our ideas."

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
That's a good statement.  It distracts people from the fact that Nintendo execs spend their work days swimming in pools of money.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
Man i wish i was a nintendo exec. I love swimming, but i dont always like to get wet.. swimming in money would solve that problem.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Nintendo exec. don't swim in money. They build miniature cities made of money and tear them down Godzilla style.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »
They build blocks that can be suspended from the ceiling, fill them with money and paint a question mark on them, then punch them from below until the money flies out.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
That would be great for a Nintendo-themed live game show.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
Nintendo exec. don't swim in money. They ski down hills of it.