Author Topic: Mario & Luigi  (Read 8340 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Mario & Luigi
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
While this thread is bumped and we're talking about it, no way is this game better than Super Mario RPG. It's pretty good, but I don't think it compares to the Mario RPG gameplay (not to mention godly Mario RPG soundtrack).

Mario and Luigi takes huge greasy shits onto Mario RPG everyday of the week with its patented "GAMEPLAY" engine.  The battles are much more livelier and fun to play than the FF8 crap that was in SMRPG, and the game world is much more interesting and platform-y.  Take off the rose-colored wayback glasses.  Mario RPG is lesser.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2006, 08:32:55 PM »

Originally posted by: DeguelloMario and Luigi takes huge greasy shits onto Mario RPG everyday of the week with its patented "GAMEPLAY" engine.  The battles are much more livelier and fun to play than the FF8 crap that was in SMRPG, and the game world is much more interesting and platform-y.  Take off the rose-colored wayback glasses.  Mario RPG is lesser.

Yeah pretty cool gameplay doing the same thing over and over again with only two characters

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Mario & Luigi
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 12:10:17 AM »
And it becomes more interesting if you allowed changing the sprites?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 11:56:04 AM »
I'm fully backing SUPER on this one. The Mario and Luigi games are fun in their own right, but I wouldn't say either was superior to Super Mario RPG for the SNES.

I mean, really, the SNES one had it all:

- excellent pacing for a RPG making it easy to replay from start to finish
- some nice secrets if you don't feel like brisking through (Culex anyone?)
- great music
- diverse party of characters to play as
- the ability to pick up Mario and throw him at enemies as Bowser (I mean, how can you compare?)
- the neat side games along the way

All in all, I really loved Super Mario RPG. It was a great collaboration between Square and Nintendo, whose only real fault was that it could have been longer and that the Yoshi race was kind of a bore.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
I don't know, I got bored with pretty much all of them.  Superstar Saga was pretty okay though.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »
I never bought Super Mario RPG way back when because I rented it and beat it in a single weekend.  I didn't miss many secrets, either.  I beat Culex.  I got all the best equipment.  Heck, that's why I was able to beat it without leveling up.  Mario was practically invincible, so every tough boss fight merely required patience.  I did like it a lot, and now I wish I had bought it, but it was insanely short and easy for an RPG.  So was Superstar Saga, for that matter.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 12:40:39 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R Yeah pretty cool gameplay doing the same thing over and over again with only two characters

I have to agree.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of the turn based RPGs (I liked them for a while but outgrew them) but I thought Mario and Luigi did get boring after a while, especially the battles which did get repetitive (more so near the end).
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 01:04:20 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

Originally posted by: DeguelloMario and Luigi takes huge greasy shits onto Mario RPG everyday of the week with its patented "GAMEPLAY" engine.  The battles are much more livelier and fun to play than the FF8 crap that was in SMRPG, and the game world is much more interesting and platform-y.  Take off the rose-colored wayback glasses.  Mario RPG is lesser.

Yeah pretty cool gameplay doing the same thing over and over again with only two characters

What is this, gamefaqs?  Cry more n00b.

As opposed to what?  Doing the same thing over and over with 3 characters?  or was it 5 in SMRPG?  OMG More characters = better.  Sounds like Sonic Team logic to me.  And LOL We are talking about RPGs here.  "Doing the same thing over and over" is a common criticism for them all.  In Mario and Luigi it is just more FUN to do those things over and over because of the way the battles are set up;  Thry allow more timed button presses that allow more skilled gameplay to weedle itself in, as opposed to the lesser "mash this button" or "Hold button until stars appear" approach in Mario RPG.  I am not going to demean Mario RPG's contribution to the RPG world, but there is a new king, and it is Mario and Luigi, either one, though I lean towards the GBA entry.

And the music in Mario and Luigi is better too, OH SNAP, GOES AGAINST COMMON KNOWLEDGE
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »
See now I loved Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga and would rate it one of my favorite RPGs.

However, that is because generally I don't like RPGs...because if you don't enjoy the leveling up aspects many RPGs can be insanely boring.

Mario and Luigi for the GBA was a funny simple adventure that I would agree is short, but I thought that was a strength.  It had enough surprises and humor, and then it moved on to the end of the story without dragging out or becoming boring.

The two party system worked because fighting was less about strategy and more about precision button pressing and being Mario and Luigi.  For a role playing game it still felt like a platformer.  

The DS sequel continued in this tradition, however, complicated the play mechanics without really enhancing them.  It almost felt more simplistic than the original...and that isn't good.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »
I equipped the item that Doubled everyones damage.  So battles are more interesting towards the end because one side or the other is more then likely dead within 2 turns.  I also thought toward the end it's getting a little long in the tooth.  The only thing that saves it is the character lineup in the end.  (Koopa Kids for the win.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2006, 05:45:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

I'm not exactly a huge fan of the turn based RPGs (I liked them for a while but outgrew them) but I thought Mario and Luigi did get boring after a while, especially the battles which did get repetitive (more so near the end).

Hear hear.  I got about halfway through Partners and then got so incredibly bored with it that I sold it.    

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2006, 07:48:46 AM »
For some reason, I actually had much more fun playing "Partners in Time" than "Superstar Saga".
The final boss in PiT was a b**ch though! It took me like 3 hours to defeat it!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »
I liked Partners in Time better, too.  With Superstar Saga, I had a few problems:
- felt like I was being rushed through the game, there was never a chance to relax, compared to other RPGs.  Partners in Time has obvious "breaks" in the action.
- the big overworld kind of annoyed me.  The pipe system helps a little, but I still felt like I spent too much time walking around (and searching for save points).
- the story was very funny, but it didn't feel as "epic" as the other Mario RPGs.  Not that any of them are huge epics, but they do tend to feel a little more grand than the usual "save the princess" plot of the regular Mario games.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX