Author Topic: EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda  (Read 19740 times)

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2006, 06:29:07 PM »
sparkling innovations
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE:EDITORIALS: There is No Definitive Zelda
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
You're not to blame; that's just how you talk.

hahaha brilliant.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
I'm amused by the suggestions that we should just wait until it's out before discussing the merits of either version.  What do you think we do at this site, honestly?  Nintendo wants the games to be discussed early...that's why they let us play the games before they are finished.  Yes, you have to temper many arguments with the fact that the games are not finished and that we have played only a fraction of them, but that doesn't mean the discussion is worthless.
Well, as I said in my other post, this is a completely different situation than most impressions. It's a radically different control scheme for a franchise that we have played with traditional controls for a long, long time. Of course it will be hard to adjust to the new interface. That's why we should wait for the final build and for the media to spend more time on it before making a decision.

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 02:35:25 AM »
Hey Evan, interesting editorial.  I don't really agree with all of it, but the whole point of an editorial is to voice your opinon, correct?  :P  And besides, it's done what it's supposed to do: stir up conversation.  So here's my two cents.

Nintendo is as guilty as everyone else when it comes to double dipping.  Link's Awakening = Link's Awakening DX.  Link to the Past = Link to the Past GBA.  If it's felt that those don't count due to the added content, then how about the NES Classics - full price for a NES game that's about 8K in size.  When Nintendo does it, they excel at it.  The only difference with these games is that they were not released simultaneously as the originals, which is the case with Twilight Princess.

I do agree that there is no conceivable reason as to why the Wii version should not support the GameCube controller, especially when third-party titles are quite capable of doing so.  I mean, really, RAMPAGE will do it, but not Zelda?  Blush.  I guess Nintendo feels really confident about the Wii version, eh?

And to those saying "Oh I'm totally not buying this Zelda since they said they would be doing this", I call bullcrap on that!  You are most likely the hardcore Nintendo fans.  You haven't played a new Zelda game for three years.  Nintendo doesn't even NEED to promote this game to you, because you already know about it.  You sell the game on your own - there is no way that you won't play the latest Zelda game.  Even if you don't buy it right away (doubtful), you'll buy it later.

But really though, if this frightening new control system is bothering you, why not just purchase the GameCube version and play it on your Wii, which is backwards compatible with GameCube games anyway?
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 04:19:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Aussie Ben PGC
then how about the NES Classics - full price for a NES game that's about 8K in size.  When Nintendo does it, they excel at it.

Well, to be fair, they wern't released at full price...

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 04:21:18 AM »
Maybe not in YOUR country. :-P
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 06:01:05 AM »
It's an okay letter--a little nerdy at times, a little sobby at others--but it's written in the neutral, straightforward, and patronizing manner to which companies respond.  I think it'll be a success and provoke a lengthy reply (provided Nintendo knows where it's coming from).  Good job.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 07:05:15 AM »
"Also, a Zelda game originally engineered for GameCube should not be the make-or-break Wii game, but Nintendo has set it up that way."

I think this a great point.  They probably should be promoting Metroid Prime 3 more as the flagship title since it's a major game AND isn't an enhanced Cube game.  If I buy a Wii at launch it will be for THAT game, not Zelda.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2006, 07:32:33 AM »
In truth, they haven't started promoting anything much yet. I personally don't feel that they've hyped up Zelda much more than they have Metroid Prime. All we're really judging from is E3 2006.

Anyways, it would be ridiculous to not take advantage of the Zelda name. And since its a game that's simply so complete already, it's much much easier to show off comfortably than to take time away from other games to polish them up just for PR.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2006, 07:35:57 AM »
Well, they aren't really promoting anything right now.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2006, 08:21:30 AM »
Well, we've heard a good chunk of the staff and regulars weigh in on this. Now I only have one question: What does Bloodworth think? Where's he been anyway?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2006, 08:53:01 AM »
He just got back from a long vacation of sorts.  Not sure if he's caught up in the forums yet.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2006, 10:57:59 AM »
21 million GameCubes sold, huh?

Only 300,000 GameCube "users" will care to buy it, worldwide, at most.  So much for using Zelda to die in style.  The userbase does not exist, most of the units were sold(as used) to Gamestop stores, more people will get it on Wii and wait for new Wii shipments when the Wii launch alotment run out, and 80% of the 300,000 GameCube buyers are already PGC visitors.

TP:GC is just a collector's item for people who maintain old hardware.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2006, 11:00:23 AM »
This is true.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2006, 11:13:24 AM »

But really though, if this frightening new control system is bothering you, why not just purchase the GameCube version and play it on your Wii, which is backwards compatible with GameCube games anyway?

Because the GC version doesn't have widescreen?
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006, 11:26:22 AM »
control > graphics

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 03:09:13 PM »

Ouch.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Also, a Zelda game originally engineered for GameCube should not be the make-or-break Wii game, but Nintendo has set it up that way."

I think this a great point.  They probably should be promoting Metroid Prime 3 more as the flagship title since it's a major game AND isn't an enhanced Cube game.  If I buy a Wii at launch it will be for THAT game, not Zelda.

You and about three other people.  It's Metroid.  While Metroid may have a decent following in the states, if I'm correct, it's never made much of a splash elsewhere.  And even Metriod Prime 1 and 2 didn't do all that spectacularly well.

Personally, I like the fact that Nintendo isn't just marketing a single "make-or-break" game for the Wii, but plenty of future AAA titles.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
'm not even going to make the assumption that the early GC adopters are "hardcore" Nintendo fans, cuz looking at sales for titles such as Pikmin 1/2, StarFox Assault, and Metroid Prime 2 (heck, RE4), it doesn't seem like there's enough "early adopter fans" available/living/breathing/internetting to care for a severely delayed last-gen game in the presence of an upgraded version on a new system they ALREADY PLANNED to buy (cuz you know, they're so-called early adopter hardtime longcore Nintendo playing Pokemon graduates).

Based on my brief time playing them and/or from what I've read, Pikmin 2, Star Fox Assualt and Metroid Prime 2 all pale in comparison to their originals. I don't own any of them. Is this proud owner of Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Killer 7, Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes a former Nintendo fan? We report, you decide.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2006, 05:37:54 PM »

Not in Aus either, they were only $30.

Offline ootler

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2006, 06:52:59 PM »
I intend to buy the cube version because I'm poor.
For this reason I'm glad it's being released on two platforms.
Opinion is going to be divided I suppose as to which is the better version.
I imagine both will be good.  Nintendo in-house stuff always is.
All the hysteria is a waste of time, as of course is my typing this comment.
However, it's 4:44am on my clock and I'm in the process of waiting to die.
Might as well do something futile as opposed to nothing, it's the essence of humanity.
-----
yes.

no.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2006, 06:53:01 PM »

"I can see why they dropped GC controls...why have them in there? Why not force people to use Wii the way it's supposed to be used, to get the whole experience? Don't let them cop out by using GC controls, that accomplishes nothing for Nintendo's mission."

Doesn't that suggest a sign of weakness though? Why would people "cop out" if using the motion controls truly was the better way to play it? If these new controls really are the big deal they're being promoted as then it shouldn't matter. People will pick the new controls because they're supposedly more exciting, more inviting, and more fun. Supposedly people are to be naturally attracted to them. I think not including the old scheme shows a lack of a confidence in the new control scheme, like they have to avoid people making direct comparisons between the old and the new. A really great new control scheme should be so good that direct comparisons should be welcome because the new one is just going to cream the old one.

The thing is the "cop out" is still there, it's just that people have to buy a different version to cop out. I'd argue that's worse because someone who doesn't want to try the new controls won't because they'll buy a version that doesn't offer them. If one version had both control schemes then even the skeptics would probably try the motion control method just because it's there and they're curious. But with this they either have to take the plunge or play it safe.

this coming from someone who has stated multiple times that if nintendo decides to include optional GC controls into its games then it is sending the message that Wii controls might not be as revolutionary as they claim to be. which is it ian?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2006, 06:58:41 PM »

Might as well do something futile as opposed to nothing, it's the essence of humanity.

Go run around town naked. Right now.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:56 PM »

Based on my brief time playing them and/or from what I've read, Pikmin 2, Star Fox Assualt and Metroid Prime 2 all pale in comparison to their originals.
How dare you say that Pikmin 2 paled when compared to it's predecessor?! It was basically a perfect sequel; the essence of the first game was intact, but there were lots more features and some minor flaws from the first game were corrected. Overall, it was just much better.. Metroid Prime 2 was also just as good as the first one, although it didn't, of course, have the same impression and impact as MP, which was the first 3D Metroid game. Technically, though, it was improved over Metroid Prime. And, in regards to Assault, are you talking about Adventures as its original? Because Adventures was terrible; it wasn't even close to a StarFox game. Assault was a better game if you think of what the StarFox franchise is supposed to represent..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2006, 08:55:16 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

Go run around town naked. Right now.

And take pictures. lots of pictures.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2006, 09:57:30 PM »
I certainly have not combed through all 75 posts in this thread, but I fail to see the hullabaloo about all of this nonsense.

The Wii version is the wild card here, obviously. I think worst case scenario is that the new controls fail to enhance the game, but the experience will not be ruined. Unless the Wii changes it's name to CD-i, Zelda will not be a broken game on the Wii.

Let's break it down.

What sounds better: Swinging the sword by swiping a controller or hitting a button?
What sounds better: Pulling off a spin attack by shaking a controller or holding down a button and releasing it?
What sounds better: Aiming your bow and arrow by pointing a controller or by moving an analog stick?

Clearly we all have an idea of what we think will be better and obviously there are other differences between the two versions, but the point remains:

Does either choice really sound that bad? And sound so bad that they will ruin a game in a franchise with an unblemished record?

I don't think it does.

I'm getting the Wii version for those reasons and because I'm pretty damn curious, but mostly because I am confident that the "bad" version of this game will still be better then just about every other game ever.