Author Topic: ULTRA BOMBERMAN THREE THOUSAND XTREME  (Read 36523 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:ULTRA BOMBERMAN THREE THOUSAND XTREME
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2006, 08:40:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
In fact, the only franchise which ever underwent a change for the "darker" and succeeded was...Batman.

What?! Batman was always dark and moody. Even the cartoons were all mature and stuff. In fact, the reason why Batman is one of my favorite super heroes is because he's so relentless....holding people up from certian doom, so he could find out information is classic batman.

Oh ya....about the topic...

It hurts my brain.

"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2006, 03:23:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
In fact, the only franchise which ever underwent a change for the "darker" and succeeded was...Batman.

What?! Batman was always dark and moody. Even the cartoons were all mature and stuff. In fact, the reason why Batman is one of my favorite super heroes is because he's so relentless....holding people up from certian doom, so he could find out information is classic batman.

Oh ya....about the topic...

It hurts my brain.

Go read the early Batman comics that were around before and durring the Adam West era. He wasn't always Dark and Moody.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2006, 04:27:07 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
SB: The sad part is how many positive replies that thread there got.

Yeah, but at least a lot of people are saying "WTF!?" as well. I expect there to be xbox fanboys who will always praise whatever is released for the consoles.

The earlier comics were MUCH lighter and even funny, and how can you forget, "Nananananananana-BATMAN!" and all the other eccentricities from the Adam West Batman?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
RE: ULTRA BOMBERMAN THREE THOUSAND XTREME
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2006, 06:51:04 AM »
Oh ya.....I totally forgot the old batman and how gay/classic it was.

Honestly, I'm just glad they can make a damn good representation of batman in the movies.

The first (Jack as Joker) and last batman (begins) movies are by far some of the best super heroe movies ever.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2006, 07:18:45 AM »
Ah, but Batman was much darker when he was first conceived. The light and smiling Batman was a products of the 50s and 60s. back at the start with Detective 27, He killed people and carried a gun.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2006, 07:26:30 AM »
Although I've never read the early comics Batman apparently killed crinimals in his first appearances.  There was also some really silly sh!t apparently but it initially wasn't quite as silly as it was in the 60's.  However the TV show was supposedly a pretty accurate depiction of the comic at the time.  Basically they both were campy.

But I've always seen Batman going all dark more as a "back to basics" approach.  The writers had lost sight of what Batman originally was: a vigilante who got revenge for his parents' murder by fighting crime.  Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns doesn't seem out of character.  In the story Batman still doesn't kill anyone in cold blood when he knows he can stop a criminal using less drastic means.  He still has the same costume and the same villians and the same motivations.  If DC comics used the approach we're seeing here Batman would have become the Punisher.  The Knightfall storyline where they introduced a new Batman is more like what we're seeing here and that didn't take-off.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2006, 08:01:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Has there ever been a situation where a series sold out and totally retooled itself to be "extreme" and "edgy" and it paid off?  For pretty much anything that seems to be the last act of desperation before it dies.  I've seen successful slight reinventions or "back to basics" approaches work but I can't think of any time a successful franchise totally rehauled it's look in such an obvious sell-out way and it paid off.
I don't think you'd call this selling out or going Xtreme, but Ocarina of Time is more "adult" than previous incarnations of Legend of Zelda.  Majora's Mask is darker than Ocarina of Time.  And from what we know, Twilight Princess is going to be the darkest Zelda game yet.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2006, 08:33:42 AM »
"I don't think you'd call this selling out or going Xtreme, but Ocarina of Time is more "adult" than previous incarnations of Legend of Zelda. Majora's Mask is darker than Ocarina of Time. And from what we know, Twilight Princess is going to be the darkest Zelda game yet."

I can't think of anyone who thought Ocarina of Time was out of character or selling out.  Well not until Wind Waker came out and apologists decided the revise their opinion of Ocarina of Time to defend the new look.  Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I can think of where people were shocked when they first saw it and it certainly wasn't because they thought Nintendo was selling out.  The worst you could say is that Zelda has gradually gotten darker but it was never a bright cheery game and the transition has been pretty smooth.  It's always been more serious than Mario for example.  A Zelda sell-out would be the cartoon show where they gave Link an "attitude".

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2006, 08:42:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

A Zelda sell-out would be the cartoon show where they gave Link an "attitude".

Well, excuuuuuuse me, Princess!

You know, the Zelda in the cartoon was cool.  She seemed more capable of taking care of herself, which I guess made sense because Link was sometimes a doofus.  Sure, Zelda can fight, as seen in SSBM, but I don't think it's the same.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2006, 10:18:36 AM »
Dunno, I don't really find OOT all that fun to play. It feels too much like serious fantasy to me and I hate that genre. Wind Waker had a world that wasn't a pain to exist in and that made it a lot more fun.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »
...Except for all that tedious sailing...but that's just my opinion...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »
I've played X Beyond The Frontier before Wind Waker, that has MUCH longer travel times.

Offline D-Mac Double

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
You know, the Zelda in the cartoon was cool.  She seemed more capable of taking care of herself, which I guess made sense because Link was sometimes a doofus.

She also wore pants.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2006, 11:24:49 AM »
OoT was definitely not selling out. The Zelda series has a serious storyline in which there are serious consequences to Link's actions. In OoT, you basically open the door for Ganondorf so he can rule the world while Link sleeps for 7 years.

Even in WW, the storyline was very serious, despite the graphics being cel-shaded. I think Zelda is and always has been its own game for so long that there's nothing it could do to "sell out", short of giving Link a gun.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2006, 10:11:26 PM »
It hurts... ;_;
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline odilon

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 03:47:51 AM »
According it IGN, they're even going to use an optional first person viewpoint.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2006, 04:23:33 AM »
Bomberman 1st person is the worst idea.  The whole point of the game is the twitch factor of seeing everything going on and needing to react quickly to all the bomb madness.  The game would have to be changed too much for 1st person to actually work.

Hudson, what are you doing?  I know your franchise is getting old, but this isn't the means to revive it.  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2006, 06:12:29 AM »
its the shadow syndrome, a disease carried by ms and sony, thank god Nintendo got the vaccine and is inmune.  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 09:03:32 AM »
Propagated by the "Shadow hedgehog" protein?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »
I can feel my inner child crying again.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2006, 08:39:34 PM »
poor bomberman, what a **** up this is going to be
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2006, 05:18:37 AM »
It's not like Bomberman is just starting to sell out here. Lets not forget that most of the post-Saturn Bomberman console games have been me-too Mario 64 3D platformer ripoffs. This is just the first time they've chosen to change the artistic sensibilities of the series.

And seriously, I'm going to wait and see how it plays before passing judgement. Lame, yes... but if it's a choice between cutesy old-school Bomberman jumping on top of Koopas and throwing bombs at Goombas or some new-fangled Bomberman that looks like Samus with a dick but actually plays like the old games... I think I'll choose the later.

God though, Hudda-san, you guys shouldn't make us have to choose like that.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2006, 07:48:51 AM »
Games like Bomberman 64 and Bomberman Generations FEEL like Bomberman...This is like taking Kirby and putting him in Halo!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2006, 10:06:08 AM »

This is like taking Kirby and putting him in Halo!

OOOOOHHH! I want Mature Kirby!!! Kirby goes around fighting crime and having sex with the residents of Dreamland!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2006, 10:09:01 AM »
Yeah, having sex with a hooker and swallowing her to get the money back!