Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 349206 times)

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (nsf56k)
« Reply #1125 on: July 20, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »
Yeah, Giga Bowser...

I kinda like the idea of there being a battle of good versus evil in the story mode of the game. Yeah, the premise seems a little cheesy, but games like Kingdom Hearts showed it could work. Whatever this "force" is that's bringing them together (and I do think it's something bringing them together, considering those clouds) I definitely think it won't be "new" exactly, but something from Kirby's games, I don't think the emphasis on Meta Knight's ship is just for effect.

I'm going to make a prediction now: Dark Meta Knight and the Black Nebula. Ten bucks...

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #1126 on: July 20, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
Smash Bros Fighting game replaced by RPG CONFIRMED

I actually think the story is unnecessary, and if the "adventure" mode is as half-assed as Melee's, I won't give two squats other than to unlock characters (and trophies! And whatever other goodies there are).

Also, the face on the far right (if there are faces, which is debatable) could be K. Rool.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl (nsf56k)
« Reply #1127 on: July 20, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
Yeah, Giga Bowser...

WAAAAAHHH! I PHAIL!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
I actually think the story is unnecessary, and if the "adventure" mode is as half-assed as Melee's, I won't give two squats other than to unlock characters (and trophies! And whatever other goodies there are).

So, uh, pretty much half the fun of the game... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 20, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »

Originally posted by: WalkingTheCow
I'm unsure about the Master Hand being in there but the other three are certainly there.
Haha, to me the "Master Hand" looks like Rayman jumping out at us.. it really does!

But I can see the resemblance to Bowser and Ridley..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #1130 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

So, uh, pretty much half the fun of the game... =)

Explain that to me Bill. Did you really love Melee's Adventure Mode?  
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 20, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
It was a neat diversion... and it was a fan romp. What's so hard to understand about that?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 20, 2007, 01:01:53 PM »
I wasn't saying just the Adventure mode by itself was half the fun, but the fact that you were unlocking trophies and characters along the way!  (Though I did end up playing through the Adventure Mode more than the Classic Mode...I particularly loved the Mario, F-Zero, and Metroid stages!)

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #1133 on: July 20, 2007, 01:16:47 PM »
I think we just misunderstood each other: my point was that the only fun part of Adventure Mode was unlocking trophies and characters. In and of itself it is dreck, with battles to break up the monotony.  
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 20, 2007, 01:51:08 PM »
I enjoyed Adventure Mode and Event battles.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 20, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »

I think we just misunderstood each other: my point was that the only fun part of Adventure Mode was unlocking trophies and characters. In and of itself it is dreck, with battles to break up the monotony.

Kind of funny, because the whole point of the "dreck" was to break up the monotony of the battles.

I think Adventure Mode was a good concept that was imperfectly executed, so I hope they do a better job with that idea in Brawl. I wouldn't want them to cut it completely.

Also, Mario and Kirby holding hands... I wonder if there will be a 2-player co-op story/adventure mode. I would really like that.  

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1136 on: July 20, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann

Kind of funny, because the whole point of the "dreck" was to break up the monotony of the battles.

I think Adventure Mode was a good concept that was imperfectly executed, so I hope they do a better job with that idea in Brawl. I wouldn't want them to cut it completely.

Also, Mario and Kirby holding hands... I wonder if there will be a 2-player co-op story/adventure mode. I would really like that.

I think that was mainly just Mario helping Kirby up... after coming out of his trophy state.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 20, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »

A "placeholder"? What would be the point of having an update of something that won't exist?

The update is that there's something of a storyline, filled many cryptic statements. The purpose of a placeholder would be to protect specific information from being spoiled. I remember Silicon Knights creating a whole E3 demo level of Eternal Darkness featuring a character who, in the final game, is shown for all of 3-4 seconds. I remember no Raiden before MGS2 was released, instead Snake was shown in all promotional material. It's not like there's no precedence for this kind of thing.

The update was pretty serious and ominous until that goofy sandbag-robot thing with punching gloves was shown. I'd like to think that Sakurai's artists could come up with better designs than that..... unless the point is that breaking the rules turns you into something that stupid.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 20, 2007, 06:13:11 PM »
I have a feeling it isn't a place holder, there is a reason that dark energy is being drawn to it . . . mayhaps it transforms into something more sinister.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 20, 2007, 07:03:10 PM »
Maybe that's exactly the point. Maybe this one character can transform into a darker version of any character.  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 20, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »
It was just a suggestion. With Hideo Kojima involved in the game, I wouldn't put it past them.

The character in the last screenshot could easily be a minion of the real boss, even if it still looks stupid. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I feel that the fighting polygon team/wire-frames would've fit quite nicely there. They were always kind of mysterious to me so they'd work well as minions or if a character turns into something else for breaking some unexplained rules.

It's really not that big a deal. I just think that thing looks lame. And everyone else has their theories, so I thought I'd toss mine up for consideration.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 20, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
Kojima can stay the hell away from my Smash Bros. It's bad enough that he's helping to design a Snake stage..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 20, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
Agreed.

I hope "helping" is used in the context of a child "helping" to make dinner by shaking up the shake 'n' bake bag.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 21, 2007, 04:57:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
It was just a suggestion. With Hideo Kojima involved in the game, I wouldn't put it past them.

The character in the last screenshot could easily be a minion of the real boss, even if it still looks stupid. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I feel that the fighting polygon team/wire-frames would've fit quite nicely there. They were always kind of mysterious to me so they'd work well as minions or if a character turns into something else for breaking some unexplained rules.

It's really not that big a deal. I just think that thing looks lame. And everyone else has their theories, so I thought I'd toss mine up for consideration.

Thats actually an even better idea.  The Smash world already has generic enforcers in the form of the Polygon/Wire-Frame(P/WF) Team.  I rather have those "enforce the rules" if its the mascots breaking them.  I like them to be canon fodder for the defense of the world if its that.

Now why we are on the P/WF Team I think they make an interesting playable character.  It would work one of two ways.  You select P/WF and it would randomly assign a characters move set to them, giving some visual que of who, and you use that set to play.  In Adventure type mode etc. the mimicked character would change every stage. Another way this could be taken is that you start off with  a generic P/WF and then though some button combinations in the boringest version you can "become" other characters.  A really interesting take is if the P/WF would evolve to someone with the strengths of your believed fighting style.  Lots of interesting possibilities their.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 21, 2007, 06:58:59 AM »
So who wants to take a bet right now that this game is not online?

The more I think about it, the more I cannot ignore Nintendo's silence on the matter.  They are sort of like the little kid who has broken the lamp, but the parents haven't found out yet.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 21, 2007, 07:03:23 AM »
Honestly, no online would be probably the most disappointing thing Nintendo could do.

Brawl needs to be online. Period.

Riot in the street if it isn't (I know I will =P).

Edit: And hey if Jump Ultimate Stars for DS can be online, I would assume Brawl can. Hell I'll even take 1v1 matches only online I don't care it just has to have some form of online mode.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 21, 2007, 09:27:56 AM »
I'll take 1v1, selected stages, with no items.  Ok 4 player if there is no items.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 21, 2007, 09:48:34 AM »
"I'll take 1v1, selected stages, with no items."

Gah!  If it isn't 4 players with items, THERE IS NO POINT IN HAVING ONLINE!

It'd be like announcing New Super Mario Brothers 2 with co-op stages, but without power-ups or enemies...That is, hilariously pointless...  

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 21, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
1v1 with items would be fine. I don't see how leaving out items would help, anyway. And while 4-player online would be nice, I don't see it as a deal-breaker.  

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 21, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »
The thing is, 4 player Smash Bros online is impossible.  Hell, most companies have trouble just getting 1v1 fighting games to work online and even then several of these games still suffer from lag.  Trying to get a game like Smash Bros, with more characters, interactive stages and items like Pokeball's and Assist Trophies that can bring in even more characters would create lag so bad it'd be unplayable.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai