Author Topic: Square Enix Hacked: Deus Ex and Tomb Raider Websites Attacked  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
This is somewhat related to the PSN hacking, but since this doesn't involve either PSN or Sony I decided it was better to create a new thread instead of posting it there.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-3588-Square-Enix-Hacked--Deus-Ex-and-Tomb-Raider-Websites-Attacked.html

Yet more hacking misery has emerged today, as hackers have broken into the websites for both Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider, making off with the emails of 25,000 customers who had registered for product updates in the process. The resumes of 350 Eidos Montreal employees might have been compromised too, with the hackers accessing the company's web servers. "Square Enix can confirm a group of hackers gained access to parts of our Eidosmontreal.com website as well as two of our product sites," Square Enix confirmed in a statement. "We immediately took the sites offline to assess how this had happened and what had been accessed, then took further measures to increase the security of these and all of our websites, before allowing the sites to go live again."

is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Square Enix Hacked: Deus Ex and Tomb Raider Websites Attacked
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if these were the same hackers who took down PSN.  It's just too convenient both in timing and choice of targets, and this target is especially unfortunate given that Deus Ex and the new Tomb Raider are sounding like they're actually going to be pretty good as well as ambitious.  They don't need negative PR.  And after the massive losses that Square-Enix posted these past couple of days, this must just be a public relations nightmare.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »
But in this case only email addresses were taken (and possibly employee resumes), and the sites are already back up again.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »
But in this case only emails were taken (and possibly employee resumes), and the sites are already back up again.

*shrugs*

That doesn't really mean anything, though.  Square-Enix could have just had better security on the more sensitive information.  You'd certainly hope so after the PSN debacle has publicized the need to have strong online security in the games industry.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:19:30 AM »
How about hacking the KH3 page? let's get some information on that.... Can I getta what what?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:21:22 AM by SupaKirb »