Author Topic: Rare working on 2 DS games  (Read 22034 times)

Offline pudu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rare working on 2 DS games
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:15:34 AM »
>LINK<

Rare’s portable division still has a home on Nintendo handheld systems. While you won’t be seeing Rare games on the PSP anytime soon (or ever perhaps), Microsoft is more then happy to allow them to create some games for Nintendo’s portable market. According to EGM magazine, Rare is hard at work on two titles for the Nintendo DS. One of these titles is being said to take place in the Banjoy-Kazooie universe. I love the Banjo-Kazooie games, and my heart just might explode if Rare gives us another 3d Banjo game on the DS. I wonder what the other game might be?

As soon as I can provide a link/scan of the article I will post it here.

I'm personally not too overly excited about this but thought I'd post it anyway.  I find it cool that MS is still letting them develop games for Nintendo portables.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Rare working on 2 DS games
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:47:37 AM »

Originally posted by: pudu
I'm personally not too overly excited about this...

Same, Rare's magic appears to have been long gone, and the only thing that they could release on the DS of interest to me would be a new Killer Instinct.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 11:52:24 AM »
This is actually good news for Nintendo because the Banjo Kazooie games still have a lot of fans...and now that RARE has caught on with trying to avoid with the "collect-a-thon" genre of gaming, there's no need to worry it it'll be good.  In the end...RARE and NINTENDO fans win.  

RARE GAMES WIFI WISH LIST
1.  Perfect Dark
2.  Killer Instinct
3.  Jet Force Gemini
4.  Blast Corp
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Rare working on 2 DS games
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:03:25 PM »
But Banjo-Kazooie is the ULTIMATE collectathon!  Must collect notes and jinjos everyday!  Seriously, if they could just make the game less like Grunty's Revenge and more like the 64 versions (in terms of Jiggy placement) then I'll be a happy collectathon-whore...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:06:04 PM »
It just wouldn't be a thread about Rare without some comments about how overrated they are and how they're lost the magic.  The only reason so many people here say that is because Rare's with MS now.  If Nintendo still had them the same people who rag on Rare would be tripping over themselves to defend them.  Grabbed by the Ghoulies as a Nintendo produced title would be defended by the same people that try to convince everyone that Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Colloseum were great games.

Anyhoo since Rare made GBA games I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to make DS games.  It's probably a sweet deal for MS to leech of a competitor's product like this.  MS benefits from both Nintendo's failings as a console maker and their success as a portable maker.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 12:15:28 PM »
Of course, The "Donkey Kong Country"s aren't on the DS yet...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 12:19:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
It just wouldn't be a thread about Rare without some comments about how overrated they are and how they're lost the magic.  The only reason so many people here say that is because Rare's with MS now.  If Nintendo still had them the same people who rag on Rare would be tripping over themselves to defend them.  Grabbed by the Ghoulies as a Nintendo produced title would be defended by the same people that try to convince everyone that Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Colloseum were great games.

Maybe some people, but not I...I don't go around praising bad games...And a part of me still has (blind) faith for Rare, particularly in the 2D sector...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 12:20:09 PM »
"Of course, The 'Donkey Kong Country's aren't on the DS yet..."

They'll be included the Rev download service for sure and I would not be surprised if Nintendo allowed you to transfer NES and SNES games to the DS.  Seems like a no-brainer idea to me considering the simularity to iTunes and how popular that is.  Plus it gets DS owners buying Revs to make full use of their DS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 12:20:14 PM »
I've been saying Rare sucked since the 64.  Goldeneye was fun, and I never played Perfect Dark, but christ Donkey Kong 64 was so goddamn bad it made me hate Rare simply on that basis.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 01:13:46 PM »
Hmm, so many ways for MS to fight Sony.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I've been saying Rare sucked since the 64.  Goldeneye was fun, and I never played Perfect Dark, but christ Donkey Kong 64 was so goddamn bad it made me hate Rare simply on that basis.

sigh... now i'm going to have to disregard your opinion.  Seriously PD was that good (and since you had DK64 and had the expansion pak), it is a shame you never picked it up.  I thought DK64 wasn't terrible.  I didn't really get into Banjo Kazooie so I wasn't burned out of collectathons, maybe that is why I enjoyed it.
DK Rap!

Ian, I think Rare will put DKC on every platform that will take it.  DK Land 1-2 for GB, DKC 1&2 for GBC and DKC 1-3 for GBA?  The DS version is inevitable.
Kiss the Cynic!

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 07:02:57 PM »
"I think Rare will put DKC on every platform that will take it."

I don't think Rare has any say though.  Nintendo's the publisher so they probably make the call.

Though they might want to port the game to the DS.  I think the Rev-DS download link-up idea is the most logical way to do it but knowing Nintendo they might go for the annoying cash-grab and try to force everyone to buy the game twice.  I hope they allow you to transfer NES and SNES games from the Rev to the DS.  It would be such a killer feature.

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 07:13:32 PM »

Anyhoo since Rare made GBA games I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to make DS games.  It's probably a sweet deal for MS to leech of a competitor's product like this.  MS benefits from both Nintendo's failings as a console maker and their success as a portable maker.

I'll have to agree.  A lot of the same people that loved that rotating "R" right down to its last Nintendo turn hated the deal for MS to acquire RARE.  Now, I'm hearing the same gamers bashing RARE.  Truthfully, if a game like KAMEO ended up on the GCN like it was originally supposed to...[Sidenote:  the original GCN box has a picture of both KAMEO and Donkey Kong Racing]...it would totally be untouchable by the PGC Forum firing squad.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 07:39:13 PM »

It just wouldn't be a thread about Rare without some comments about how overrated they are and how they're lost the magic. The only reason so many people here say that is because Rare's with MS now. If Nintendo still had them the same people who rag on Rare would be tripping over themselves to defend them. Grabbed by the Ghoulies as a Nintendo produced title would be defended by the same people that try to convince everyone that Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Colloseum were great games.

Eh....they've been bad-mouthing Rare since Star Fox Adventures. I believe the feeling is that Rare hasn't been the same since a lot of key people left and went on to other companies. This does seem to be backed up by, for example, review scores. Though, it's hard for me to say what I thnk of them now personally, since, not being an xbox owner, I haven't played any of their post-mass-exodus games. Except for Star Fox Adventures. Which was horrible.

Oh, and for the record, while I haven't played Pokemon Colleseum or Grabbed by the Ghoulies, I have played Luigi's Mansion, and it's an incredible game. Easily the best Mario game on the cube, outside of maybe TTYD.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 07:57:27 PM »
wandering, news of Rare's departure predates SFA by a week.  What a coincidence...  SFA was crap though, the best presented crap ever, but crap.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 08:22:37 PM »

Anyhoo since Rare made GBA games I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to make DS games. It's probably a sweet deal for MS to leech of a competitor's product like this. MS benefits from both Nintendo's failings as a console maker and their success as a portable maker.

No, NINTENDO gets a sweet deal.  They are still getting more support from a developer that is owned 100% by a competitor, which means they don't even have to pay Rare for it anymore.  MS got hosed on that deal.  MS hasn't made up their ridiculously large purchase price of Rare while Nintendo gets to have Rare port their old things for the GBA, for FREE.  They don't even have to pay for the building that houses Rare anymore or for any of the upkeep.

Essentially, MS has paid Nintendo to make a lot a money, while MS gets stuck with the bill.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 08:42:06 PM »
I was one of the people who couldn't stand for Rare to go to Microsoft. Mostly because of Banjo Kazooie, Conker, and Perfect Dark. But just like Sonic Team I could tell that their games were just getting crappier and crappier. DK 64, and Banjo-Tooie dissapointed the heck out of me. I fell in love with Conker and PD, but then Star Fox came out and that was it. First DK and now SF?! Conker was a remake and PD0 got an  8 point something on ign and for a big title like that I expected more. I havn't played it myself yet but still. Now I just don't like them, not because they are with a system that I will never buy but because the quality is not what it use to be.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »

It just wouldn't be a thread about Rare without some comments about how overrated they are and how they're lost the magic.  The only reason so many people here say that is because Rare's with MS now.  If Nintendo still had them the same people who rag on Rare would be tripping over themselves to defend them.

Please, I loved Rare more then anyone, their Donkey Kong Country was the title that finally convinced me to buy a SNES (I was NES and Genesis only up to that point, oh if only I knew...), but their magic has been long gone. Their games have been lackluster for a long time. Let's face it, Banjo-Tooie was dissapointing, to the say the least, and no one has brought up this shovelware that they produced right afterwards:

http://www.geekculture.dk/bedler/auto/1031090951mickeysspeedwayusa.jpg

Banjo-Tooie and Star Fox Adventures really proved what we had all been assuming: Rare can make beautiful games with great sound (I doubt anyone would argue against the SFA soundtrack), but they just can't scrape together fun gameplay for the life of them anymore.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 09:07:48 PM »
You know, Arbok, it took a lot courage to come out like that. I have nothing but respect for you and your choice in lifestyle.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 09:15:54 PM »
I argue against SFA's soundtrack.  About 5 or less worthwhile tracks, while the rest were "background noise" or there wasn't any music where there should've been.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
I argue against SFA's soundtrack.  About 5 or less worthwhile tracks, while the rest were "background noise" or there wasn't any music where there should've been.

Well I love the Thorntail Hollow theme, in fact I would say it was one of the most pleasing themes I had ever heard in a video game, and since it was the main theme I cut it some slack. Hell, I would venture into the main area simply to hear that tune, even if I didn't have to go. I will admit, though, that it's the only track from the soundtrack that I still have on my computer...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 09:54:35 PM »

It just wouldn't be a thread about Rare without some comments about how overrated they are and how they're lost the magic.

Well let's see, they made over ten games for the Nintendo 64 and about five for the Game Boy Color in the space of three years. DK64 and Mickey's Speedway, their last two N64 games, were bloody awful. Now, .. they've uh, made.. four console games and four portable games since then. Five years. Do you really think Star Fox Adventures and Grabbed by the Testicles match the likes of GoldenEye or Blast Corps? Seriously. IT'S MAGIC.

I predict a straight up port of Banjo-Kazooie and a Perfect Dark kart racer for DS. The BK port will take five years.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 10:39:55 PM »
I guess MS doesn't know how to push Rare properly.

Offline NotSoStu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 01:17:50 AM »
I for one still have hope for Banjo-Kazooie. It's my favorite platformer of all time, quite frankly.
i haven't used this in years why is it the second result when you search my name asdfadsfasfa

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 02:21:19 AM »
Some talk about about the Magic of Rare under the Nintendo wings, well thats just it, they made good games under Nintendo because Nintendo send their people over to help them. Probably some EAD hotshot came over every so months and requested updates and so forth. Rare's former magic was actually pushed by Nintendo's holding their hands.
Now almost everyone who enjoyed working under that N-supervision left Rare and the company is cut off from that support. As a replacement they get MS, lord of bloatware and master of creating craphole software... and everyone is wondering why they lost their touch, jeezs come on.
"SOMETHING"