Author Topic: Top 10 Game Boy Advance Games  (Read 15022 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Top 10 Game Boy Advance Games
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »

The staff mind melded and figured out our collective favorite GBA games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26778

To celebrate the GBA's 10th birthday, we're going to look fondly back on the system, highlighting our top 10 games.

Much like the Top 30 DS Games feature, each staffer submitted a list of their top 10 games, and then we used a point-based system to figure out the site's top 10.

We hope you enjoy the list, and if you agree or disagree, let us know. Just remember, this isn't a definitive list, as its based on nostalgia-tinged memories of an excellent system.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Top 10 Game Boy Advance Games
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:46:30 AM »
The implication for #10 is that Aria somehow didn't make the list...which would be extremely wierd.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:32:40 AM »
I said when I submitted my 10 that I'd be shocked if more than two of the entries on my list made it. So far I'm 0 for 2.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:53 AM »
I can already name a large portion of what this list will look like, or should look like:

Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Tennis Power Tour
Metroid Zero Mission
Wario Ware Twisted
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (this game didn't really wow me, but everyone seems to love it)
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (I've haven't played this one, but it's the exclusive game Zelda game for GBA so it has a strong chance to be on any 'Best Of' list for GBA.

GBA is one of my favorite systems ever.  ;D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:42:48 AM »
I don't believe in voting for games I didn't play just because they're popular. I gave my top ten, all of which are titles I played and loved, including a couple that I'm not sure most people know existed.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
Anyone can check a review aggregation site to see the "top 10" games for a system, but it's more interesting (and meaningful) if this list is built from games that staff members actually played and loved. Hopefully we'll see a couple of lesser known or unappreciated gems on the list along with expected classics.

Oh, and I still think that GBA had a great launch. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is still my favorite entry for the franchise on a portable system; Chu Chu Rocket was great fun with many different play modes, nearly endless puzzles to solves, and killer multiplayer that only required a single cartridge; Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 also managed to brilliantly shrink the score-chasing arcade experience into a tiny package. Throw in F-Zero and Rayman, a Mario port and Earthworm Jim, and there was plenty of great gaming available early on for GBA owners...
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »
Anyone can check a review aggregation site to see the "top 10" games for a system, but it's more interesting (and meaningful) if this list is built from games that staff members actually played and loved. Hopefully we'll see a couple of lesser known or unappreciated gems on the list along with expected classics.

Before anyone complains about how we left something great off the list (and I'm sure someone will feel that way, based on the reaction to our DS list), this is the attitude you should be approaching this with.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
"Top"   :-\
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
"Top"   :-\

I'm not interested in making the title for this feature "The Best GBA Games According to Eight Staff Members on NWR"

And yes, more people that submitted their lists seemed to have nostalgia for CotM than AoS. Aria wound up at like #12 or something. As the list stands, the top two are kind of shocking.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
I haven't played the Castlevania game, but Metroid Fusion is pretty good. Sure, it's a little different than the other 2D games, focusing a bit more on action and less on exploring, but it's a solid title. I should probably try Castlevania sometimes, since a lot of people compare them to Metroid games.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:46 AM »
10. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
9. Drill Dozer
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
7. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
6. WarioWare: Twisted!
5. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
4. Rhythm Tengoku
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
2. Advance Wars
1. Mother 3

Hoping for them. I'm 1/2 so far.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:20:19 AM »
I think I only have 11 Game Boy Advance games total. I can't say it's a system that had many games of interest for me. But I still need to play the Minish Cap. At some point, I have to get that. As of right now, the top game for me is probably Metroid: Zero Mission. The first GBA game I got and nothing else really ever matched the pleasure I had playing that game even on replays. I do have Advance Wars 2 but I've never actually played it yet. I kept meaning to finish the first Advance Wars but never got around to it. Same with Superstar Saga and Pokemon Leafgreen. I've got through maybe 15% of those games and never carried on. GBA also has one of the most boring games I've ever played. DK: King of Swing. One level of that and I'm out like a light. Sadly, that seems to be my memory of the GBA. The games didn't keep me coming back to finish them. The sit in my mind as rather lackluster.

I got my GBA games while the DS brand was taking over and I found the DS games far more interesting so it didn't help that I was judging the GBA games against DS games at the same time. I never got Mario Kart Super Circut because those levels were the most boring to me on Mario Kart DS.

One title I didn't mention was Zelda: A Link to the Past. It was the first time I played that game I loved it. In fact, that is the first Zelda game I ever played. But I don't think any game that was a port from an older system should be considered a defining game of another system. That's why, as much as I like Super Mario 64 DS and the ability to port it around and the extras they added to the game, I never include it on a list of great DS games. But that's a personal opinion thing.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:07:46 AM »
For the record, DK: King of Swing was on my top 10. I loved that game, though not as much as its DS sequel.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »
Oh wow... memories of great gaming. GBA games might not have worked for Khushrenada most of the time but his post sent nostalgia flooding back of endless hours spent with Advance Wars, the pure joy of Metroid: Zero Mission (both initial discovery and repeat plays), being surprised at how devious multiplayer Zelda was, and an incredible Mario Kart experience that still holds up well today. (Edit: I aslo liked - not loved - King of Swing. It was a great concept and fun to play, but just didn't have enough lasting power to really be a classic for me.)

So... um... when is the next set of games coming out? I was thinking Top 10, two games at a time, maybe we'd see daily updates? Obviously that's not the case, but when should we be checking back?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
The next set was supposed to go up last night, but my internet was out all night. 8,7,6 and 5 will go up today. Sorry!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
8,7,6, and 5 are up.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
I'm now 1 for 6 (Advance Wars). I haven't played Zero Mission, but I'd like to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
You...I...WHAT? HOW?!?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »
I see a trend so far... RPGs, strategy, and exploration games. Interesting to see a remake place above Metroid Fusion; personally, I give the nod to Fusion for being a much more fresh experience.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
I'm sitting at 1 for 8. Unless both of the top two were on my list, my prediction will have been accurate.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »
Would you share your personal list once the results are done? It would be interesting to see.

I know a lot of people really like Metroid Fusion, but I felt that like that fell off track somewhere. Too much narration forced on you, too few (and too scripted) interactions with evil Samus, and some of the mandatory moments of exploration felt like a painful add-on instead of a natural part of the game. The garish colors did nothing for me either. In the end I felt terribly disappointed.

Zero Mission was the complete opposite though. Do you have any nostalgic childhood memories where you've conveniently blocked out all of the bad parts of something you loved? Zero Mission feels like the developers started with my most cherished memories of what I wanted the original Metroid to be... and then polished and honed that game into something even better than I could have asked for. Playing it was like receiving a gift I didn't know enough to ask for.

(The only other game that comes to mind with a similar feel is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. That game is exactly what I imagined the original should have been like.)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
Yes, I will post my list once the official list is all up. Actually, given some of Neal's comments, I think it's altogether possible that both of the top two will have been on my list. I'm fairly certain at least one of them is.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
Personally my money is on Pinball of the Dead
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Ninja 5-0.  Gotta be #1.

With Astro Boy: Omega Factor at #2 (slightly more seriously).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »
I'm sitting at 1 for 8. Unless both of the top two were on my list, my prediction will have been accurate.
What in the world have you been playing on the GBA? There are so few worthwhile games that it's hard to imagine there are many that aren't already on this list. I barely own any GBA games and I've played almost every entry so far.