Author Topic: Future Mafia Games  (Read 418538 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Future Mafia Games
« Reply #600 on: April 08, 2011, 01:03:32 AM »
The Madness? This is sound like a Survival Horror themed game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #601 on: April 08, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
If no one want to give 51 a whirl I'll host it.  Be a little bare bone but I'm willing to give it a try.

I probably do:

Townies:
An inspector role

Mafia:
Vote Hit Method
No Godfather and the Mafia starts out Unknown with a chance every night for them to "Discover" one another (Done by random roll) instead of a Mafia inspector

Neutral:
Saving Spirit- Randomly chooses an active player to decide save a player, this may have some side effects and will not save the possessed player.

So a typical day would basically go:

Me: Daily Blurb, Action Results, Saving Spirit allocated for day.
Awake Time: Vote Happens
Hour Before Vote Close:  Saving Spirit and Mafia vote must be in
Vote Close:  Stop voting and Inspector must be in.   Saving Spirit Re-possession. Random Mafia Discovery chance rolled and  Results Delivered.  Inspector recieves inspection.  People/animals/things die.

I would need a theme and opinions on those rules as I said keep it close to the roots in a way though I can't help feel that I'm missing something.

These are very interesting ideas. The Mafia finding mafia I don't think has been done before on here. The Saving spirit reminds me of how way back in Pale's Pokemafia game he randomly chose someone to kill whoever was voted out but that person could be killed as well.

We haven't done a Mega man game before and I don't think this could work as a theme for this peticular game Ceric.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
I was thinking about this this morning.

I did something from Megaman it would take place towards the beginning and involve time traveling Reploids and instead of Dr. Light and Dr.  Wily ending with the current relationship the more sentient variety of robot would be strictly persecuted and banned in general.

Roughly with the roles and concept so far I would need:

1. Explanation on why the mafia work together but are not originally known to each other: Time travel would allow for agents from different time streams and placements of the same organization to send reports back to a centralize out of time leadership which would then relay instructions.
2. Some way to indicate why this group of entities are proper hosts for the Saving Spirit and The Madness:  In a way these would remind me of the Reploid Virus, are any other form of ascension mechanic.

You know there is an unproduced Gamecube game that involved a Peanut Butter sandwich like character that might work.  Going themeless might be ok to.

Another thing I was thinking of is that I probably make The Madness a little more complicated if I included it and for both of the roaming types add an immunity so you can't have it consecutively.

The Madness:  The Madness has taken you.  You must now choose a target to have a chance to kill it .
At night:  The mechanic would work as a 50% chance to kill a target since madmen are sloppy, attempt is not quarenteed to be known.  If someone effected by The Madness is the target of a Mafia Hit there is a 50% chance that instead of performing their intended kill the randomly chosen Mafia Hitter will be killed instead this will be known and the entity with The Madness will survive otherwise they will die from the Mafia hit.  Someone with The Madness will recieve sanity when protected by The Saving Spirit.  Since The Madness is effectively countered you return back to your normal state instead of being safe for the night. If you survive both The Madness and The Saving Spirit will be known to each other in the Morning.  If you are killed then The Madness and The Saving Spirit will need more time to find viable hosts and will not be  in play the next night.  Also any role that has an ability will not be able to use them while affected by The Madness.
Day:  Since Madness is mad someone with The Madness may strike during the day but, run a 75% chance to reveal there role in doing so.  If Countered by The Saving Spirit you will both be known to each other for that day.  Victims will be informed regardless of Reveal if the kill is successful.  Any action that is designated before the kill will count if after will not.  Once the kill happens consider yourself dead at that point.  All rules apply.
Vote:  If someone with The Madness is voted out but successfully completes there kill for the night, not during the day, it is deemed they have escaped.  Hence being put back to a normal state by The Saving Spirit will guarentee death from vote.
Essentially someone effected by The Madness can only cause 1 death.

Inspector: Chooses 1 person to inspect per night.  This inspection will always happen except for if the Inspector is taken during the day or has The Madness.  Inspections will reveal all roles,ex it could reveal Ceric: Townie, The Madness.  If the Inspector is removed from play for any reason during the night they may choose 1 player to have a 50% chance to relay the inspections results.  If the results are succesfully relayed the inspector will not be told if they are not the inspector will be told what their dieing inspection was.  With this mechanic the Inspector will have the honor of knowing they were removed from play before the morning story.  They may also choose to just designate someone when they put there target in.

Mafia: 1 hour before the Vote is up all votes must be in for a hit.  If there is no votes for a target or if the majority of mafia give a vote of "No Hit" there will be no target for the night.  Initially the Mafia will not know one another.  Their will be at least 1 reveal attempt a night but, I reserve the right to modify how fast/often reveals will happen.  In a typical night every Mafia Member will randomly have a player catch there eye.  They will not know who that player is.  If it turns out that the random player is a mafia member the observing player will be informed who they are.  Here's the other wrinkle.  If the randomly chosen player is affected by either The Madness or The Saving Spirit regardless of true role/faction the mafia member will be told only that they are the The Madness or The Saving Spirit for that night.

The Saving Spirit:  You may target 1 individual to be safe during the night phase.  The target must be put in by 1 hour before the end of voting.  If the target is effected by The Madness you will save the target from The Madness thus turning them normal.  Normal meaning that while you have saved a life from The Madness they are now no longer safe from Votes and Hits.

Townie:  Look Cute and Vote ;P

Day: Voting Period (Was thinking 9a-9p CST)
Night: Non-Voting Period (Was thinking 9p-9a CST)

Voting:  From 9a-8p CST you may change your vote.  Once 8p CST comes around whatever your last vote is will be final.  If you have not voted yet from 8p-9p you are allowed to place a single vote that cannot be changed.  Votes will only be taken in the public vote thread.  All other actions will need to be PMed.

Those where the rules I was thinking of.  Though I'm not sure what a good ratio of Mafio to Townie is.  Wondering if 3 to 1 be good...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 08, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »
I like those rules.

Start the game. :D

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 09, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »
Alright I think I have everything shimmie up enough to start a game if there is still a hole I can fit in.  Is there an official list somewhere with who has what?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #605 on: April 09, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »
Ceric the list of who is hosting next is in the original post. Looks like you are game 51. Think Mop it up wanted to take game 50.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 09, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »
Very cool gives me a game to watch and tweak mine.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 09, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
I don't want to host game 50, it's simply that I will step in if no one else is available. Ceric, would you like your game to be up next and start it in a couple of weeks, or would you like to have more time to refine it?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 09, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »
I'm ok with starting it whenever.  Think anymore and I'll over analyze it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 12, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
All right, sounds good. Can you start the signup thread on either the 18th or 25th, and then start the game a week after that? Or do you need more time?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:26 AM »
Yeah I can start it on the signup on the 18th.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
You can start the signup thread in the Funhouse then.Also be sure to PM Megabyte so he can give you mod powers for the Mafia forum.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »
I'm okay with hosting next game if you guys want since I'm ready ahead of schedule (unless someone else wants to stand up and host. I'm just a second option).

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 06, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
Ok, so I'm guessing that I'm hosting next game.  8)

Sign-ups begin this Sunday guys.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 07, 2011, 12:19:47 AM »
Woah, hold on now! Maxi is the next person in line, so he has the option of hosting the next game or asking someone else to fill it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #615 on: May 07, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »
I guess I better chime in here. I'm still working on my game I figured we would have more time before starting the next game and by that I mean more downtime between the second to last game and Cerics game.We generaly have these Mafia games one a month. So for now I'm going to contact Khushrenada and see if he wants to host the 51st game If I don't hear back from him by May 13th. I'll get my game signup thread up and I'll have it run for maybe 1 or 2 weeks then I'll start the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:55:19 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #616 on: May 07, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
Okay everyone I wrote down a few roles for my game and I kinda came on to a problem. If I don't have the amount of signups needed for all the roles then I am going to have to not use a few roles. So I figured the best solution is to either just have a set amount of Roles to each side or I could have the leaders of the respective sides pick their team as far as roles go.  Everybodies thoughts on this?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 07, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »
Okay everyone I wrote down a few roles for my game and I kinda came on to a problem. If I don't have the amount of signups needed for all the roles then I am going to have to not use a few roles. So I figured the best solution is to either just have a set amount of Roles to each side or I could have the leaders of the respective sides pick their team as far as roles go.  Everybodies thoughts on this?
How many roles we talking and how varied are they?  I think having each side pick the roles they want would be interesting out of a set x you can have where you set the x for balance.  Will the leader of each side assign who gets the role?  I figure not just that these roles exist because you chose them.  If say the mayor knew who all the townies were the game could be very mechanical but if the only thing he knew was their was X amount of townies and that these are the roles he chose for the townie side and that was it could still be an interesting role.  Especial if each side only knew that the Mayor and Godfather were the only fixed roles. (Of course I'm just picking high level names for the top figure.)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #618 on: May 07, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
Well my theme for the Game is Teen Titans season one.The roles for the townies and Mafia will be based on that season of the cartoon. So at the moment I have 4 of the 5 townie roles. Can't figure one out for Cyborg.

Here is a link to the cartoon. http://www.dbz-zone.org/teen_titans.php

Basically Robin will be an investigator for the first 3 days of the game on the townies side.However much like in the cartoon he is forced to go help out Slade so then he will be on the Mafia's side on Day 4. However if Slade is killed before or after Day 4 then he goes back to the townies side.If Starfire get killed before or after day 4 and Slade is still alive then Robin will stay on the side of the Mafia. I figured the best way to balance is to have Slade control what Robin does with his powers and to not let Robin know who is the Mafia so if he somehow goes back to the townie side then the game won't be over since Robin doesn't know who exactly is the Mafia. Starfire will be the protector this game so she can protect one person in the game also she can evade hits on herself but you can't do both in the same night.She also can't evade every night.She has to chose what to do.  Raven will be chosen from one of the townies alive if Robin goes over to the Mafia side.I'll PM one of the townies and let them know that they are Raven.Raven can kill one person a night or can search one person a night.If Robin somehow comes back to the townies then Raven will revert back to a townie.Beast Boy will be able to chose from a list of Roles that are the above listed or some others that I haven't thought of.Cyborg I haven't figured out a role.

On to the Villians Roles.

Slade will be basically the Godfather this game.He can chose to send in hits or choose one of his fellow Mafia Members to do the hits. If Robin comes over the the Mafia side Slade can force him to do Robins investigations or can choose the Apprentice to do the hits. Will show up as a townie.Darkfire is the only one that can kill Starfire when she is chosen for the hit.Will show up as a townie in searches.Has the Mafia Pretender ability.
The Apprentice(aka Robin) will have the ability to investigate someone.If Starfire dies I'll let the Apprentice know who the rest of the Mafia is if the Day 4 thread has started or beyond then.
Cinderblock will be able to protect Slade once and then Cinderblock will die.Shows up as Cinderblock.
Mad Mod has the ability to negate one persons role a night.

Oh also if Slade somehow dies then there will be a vote for a new leader that will take a day.There won't be a hit.

That's all I have at the moment. I may have 2 more roles added to the Villians roles to pick from.Basically if I have the leaders choose the roles then they can pick the roles on their team but I will be handing out whatever roles get picked to the players.

The focus of this game is going to be Robin,Starfire,Slade and Darkfire.So those will be set roles for each side.Depending on Signups will determine how many other roles are added.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:28:07 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 07, 2011, 04:34:21 PM »
Roles:
I. Townie
   A. Robin
      1. Investigator
       2. Townie to Day 3
      3.  Mafia from Day 3 - Slade Kill
         a.  If Starfire is killed remains mafia regardless of Slade being alive or dead. (Though technically if Slade is killed and Starfire is dead he should take Slade's role if your following the Cartoon.)
   B. Starfire
      1.  Traditional Doctor Role
      2. Protect 1 person per night or protect self
      3.  Cannot evade consecutive nights
      4. Can only be killed by Darkfire Mafie Hit
         a.  Does this effectively make her un-hittable once Darkfire is dead?
   C. Raven
      1. Chosen once Robin is turned Mafia
         a. Is this Permanent Mafia or the Day 3 change?
      2. Can Kill or Investigate as Night Action
   D. Beast Boy
      1. Any Role above plus some hidden ones
         a.  Though if he choses Robin does he turn Mafia at Day 3?
   E.  Cyborg
      1. Undetermined but, I suggest a sacrifice role where he can protect someone by sacrifice himself and an investigation role where he has the possibility to be found out.
II. Mafia
   A. Slade
      1.  Choose to hit someone by either sending goon or a specific mafia member.
      2.  Controls Robin when he switches
      3.  Shows up as Townie
      4.  On death prompts a leader vote in the Mafia and their will be no hit for 1 day
   B. Apprentice
      1.  See Robin
   C. Darkfire
      1. Shows as Townie
      2.  Only mafia that can kill Starfire
      3. Mafia Pretender ability (?)
   D. Cinderblock
      1.  Protect Slade through Self Sacrifice.
   E. Mad Mod
      1.  Has the ability to negate a role per night
         a.  Does he declare a person or a role?

So will the Mafia be padded with goons or everyone have a role?  If the game is small enough where its only the 2 main Mafia you cannot determine Mafia definitively because those can't be investigated effectively. 
Is Starfire safe from Mafia hits as soon as Darkfire is dead? 
Is there any reactive roles where the chosen Mafia hitter is actually in danger or is it just story flavor?
Will a Slade death be the only way to bring Robin back?
Does Beast Boy switch per night?
What Titan Lore inspired Raven not being chosen from the Start?

Hope that helps a little.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:45:15 PM by Ceric »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #620 on: May 07, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »
That helps it more clearer for me.
About Starfire and Darkfire. If Darkfire is dead then I guess I could make an addition of having a percent on each Mafia member taking Starfire down. Some Mafia members will have a higher chance than others but it will not be absolute like Darkfire.The Mafia Pretender role was in my first game.Sonic Mafia. Essentually the role basically makes you show up as a townie.
The chosen Mafia hits is just there for story flavor.

Yes Slade dieing will be the only way for Robin to come back.

With Beastboy I figured I would give him a list of Roles to use and he could chose one and then that one might not be able to used again for a full day. I may make a few changes depending on if certain roles on the townie side are active. Beast boy kinda broken with his all role ability. Maybe I'll make it so while he can use all the roles he isn't as good as the originators. A percent on them working might work. I may just have him have a set of unique roles that only he may use.Give me some feedback on this everyone.

Raven essentually is a balancer for the game. She tends to keep to herself unless needed.She sticks to the shadows and is generally an outsider.

Mad Mod declaires a person when blocking an ability.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:30:25 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 07, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
I haven't seen Khushrenada in a while, I wonder where he is. I hope he's okay...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 07, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
Yeah I hope he is ok as well.

On the TT Mafia.  I probably Ditch the Starfire requirement on Robin unless you give Starfire a way to bring him back over without killing Slade.  Beast Boy I make it so he couldn't consectively use an ability.  Since due to the nature of his powers he wouldn't be mimicking actual other characters like other shape shifters would mean that he couldn't just shift to something slightly different.  I probably derive him to the core of each role.

A. Beast Boy
  1.  Can do 1 of these actions everynight except if done the previous night
      a.  Kill Someone
           1. Has an X% Chance of Failing
      b.  Investigate Someone
           1. Has an X% Chance of Being Found
           2. Does not fail
      c.  Sacrifice Self for someone
           1. Does not fail
      d.  Protect Someone
      e.  Negate Someone's powers

Though that can get you to the point that the Townies have 3 kills one night (Vote, Raven, and BB) then Mafia has their 1 so thats 4 characters in 1 night.

On the Starfire-Darkfire thing.  I personly would change the relationship to that if Darkfire is the Hitter then Starfire can't self save herself.  She's free game to any mafia if she is protecting someone else.  That opens up say BB protects Starfire and Darkfire hits her then she is safe where if she had protected herself Darkfire would have cut through.  I also put in the Slade role that you cannot hit with the same character every night for story reason and because of this mechanic or I hit with Darkfire every night.  I think this would work a little better then adding percentages to everyone's hit on her.

Did you work out when Raven comes in play?  Is it when Robin goes Mafia or is it when he goes Permanent Mafia?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #623 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
I think I know now what to do with Beast Boy. I'll just give him his own abilities and whenever one of the roles get out of the game I'll just add that to the options for Beast Boy. I think having four kills a night might make it not balanced. Raven will come into play at the start of Day 4. I just have to think of some roles for Beast boy.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 09, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
I think I know now what to do with Beast Boy. I'll just give him his own abilities and whenever one of the roles get out of the game I'll just add that to the options for Beast Boy. I think having four kills a night might make it not balanced. Raven will come into play at the start of Day 4. I just have to think of some roles for Beast boy.
Is that going to include Mafia roles as well?  You could give him 2 votes until he gets other roles.  Essentially if every character in the game votes he has 1 vote but, if someone doesn't register a vote then Beast Boy will fill in for them giving him a second vote as an ability.