Author Topic: Demo disc  (Read 7766 times)

Offline JSasky

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Demo disc
« on: May 29, 2003, 12:11:08 PM »
Maybe I missed something but how do I get the demo disk for the GC?  Do I have to buy a new GC, or can I order it?

What's the deal?  
'Take a wiff of my pant leg baby!'
-Blues Explosion

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Demo disc
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 12:15:35 PM »
It's incredibly screwed up is what it is.

If you buy a GameCube console right now, you are almost assured a demo disc.  (ask first though).  Some stores seem to be giving them out if you buy a GameCube game.  Other places are selling them for $10 USD.  I also have a store in my town that's selling them shamelessly at $20 USD a pop.

Call around to your retailers and see who's doing what.  Find the deal that looks right for you, and take it.  The demo disc is VERY good.  I don't really like Sonic Adventure too much, and the Splinter Cell demo pissed me off (I couldn't figure out where to go... I hadn't gotten that far in the full game).  Billy Hatcher is amusing, but kind of strange and short.  But the Soul Calibur II demo is worth every penny of the $10 you pay to get the disc.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
Demo disc
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 05:38:38 PM »
Don't forget about Viewtiful Joe!

Amazon.com has it too.
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Demo disc
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 05:44:17 PM »
Of course the best thing is to have a friend in retail.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
Demo disc
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 12:07:29 PM »
If none of the stores you know do not have the disc, your best bet is probably eBay.  Or Amazon, as yegO mentioned.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline 220man

• View Profile
Demo disc
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 12:40:21 AM »
My friend went to Electronics Boutique and they were giving away the demo discs for free so he got about three and gave one to me. Trust me ... you dont want one - they're highly over rated. It's a mini disc that doesn't even run in the Gamecube. you put it in a computer and it just has movies (non-interactive) of the worst games that are already out.
I'm physchic. If I wanted your opinion I would have told you what it was.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Demo disc
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 01:24:53 AM »

Originally posted by: 220man
My friend went to Electronics Boutique and they were giving away the demo discs for free so he got about three and gave one to me. Trust me ... you dont want one - they're highly over rated. It's a mini disc that doesn't even run in the Gamecube. you put it in a computer and it just has movies (non-interactive) of the worst games that are already out.

You've got no friggin' idea what demo discs everyone beyond you and your friend are talking about.  You're describing the mini CD-ROMs that went out early after the Cube launch, containing aweful Quicktime movies, encased in a little Indigo Cube-themed paper slip case.  That's all year-2001 stuff.

Come back to where the rest of us are, in May 2003.  The real demo discs (called so cuz they really have playable demos) have a custom Cube/DVD style disc case, and may be bought at some stores, while others will only give it out with the purchase of a new GameCube system.  Some places sell it for $9.99, or $39.99 if they don't like you.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mr. Jinks

• View Profile
RE: Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 10:32:28 AM »
I'm a Nintendo Power subscriber.  NOA should seriously consider distributing all future promotional discs through their magazine.  That would spike subscription sales.
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 11:14:13 AM »

I'm a Nintendo Power subscriber. NOA should seriously consider distributing all future promotional discs through their magazine. That would spike subscription sales.
Don't put it past them, they still may, there's still the July issue.  Now me, I didn't want to trust them with that so I went out and picked one up at my local Best Buy.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Cube323

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 03:07:01 PM »
Hey, I just bought this demo disc at Target.  The price was $10.  Worth every penny.  Viewtiful Joe Rules!  This game is seriously old school w/ some incredible next gen flair!  I'm buying that one the day it is released.

Offline 220man

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 04:13:02 PM »
Well sorry if I was talkin about the wrong disc. I now know what disc u r talkin about and I actually ran into one on the holidays. The stores have them set up for customers to play ... but over here I dont think that they are for sale.

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 07:13:08 PM »
I just got mine from a friend that works at Sam Goody for free. ^_^

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2003, 07:37:23 PM »
I want one!  If Nintendo Power started giving out demo discs every few months, they've got my money.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2003, 07:52:11 PM »

Originally posted by: 220man
Well sorry if I was talkin about the wrong disc. I now know what disc u r talkin about and I actually ran into one on the holidays. The stores have them set up for customers to play ... but over here I dont think that they are for sale.

Nope.  Sorry, still thinking of the wrong disc, but you are a lot closer this time.  It's set up like one of the store demo discs, but it's intended for the end user.  It's being given out to people when they buy a GameCube, and the promotion is only a week or so old.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2003, 10:45:31 AM »
i found the demo at gamestop- they sold them for ten bucks
its worth it just to play viewtiful joe- it is so much fun
i cant wait to see the final product of vj- it is one of my most anticipated games for the gc this year
i call the big one bitey.

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2003, 04:27:17 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow
I want one!  If Nintendo Power started giving out demo discs every few months, they've got my money.

I highly doubt they will add one every issue. It is probable that they will issue four, one for each quarter of the year.
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline 220man

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 03:08:49 AM »
Besides they would just lose money giving them away every month. sure they might give one away for free, but that's only cause you bought a gmaecube. Burning short version games (about 6) onto one mini dic is not as easy as burning 7 full games onto a big CD rom.

Yes, Yes fine so I was talking about the horrible quicktime movie demos. aargh (shiver) horrible. Isn't 1 little mistake forgivable? You mate all mate know mate how mate dum mate Aussies mate are mate.

:

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2003, 04:14:30 AM »
I began my search for the Preview Disc on Thursday. Game Stop was sold out (they said it was a very popular item and sold out as soon as they arrived). Sam Goody had one copy (priced at $0.01 - yes one cent!), but after the Manager called 2 other stores - he refused to sell it to me, citing that if it's priced at a penny it must be part of some special promotion that he isn't aware of. Then he stressed the fact that the back of the packages reads "NOT FOR RESALE". I went to Game Gallery - they didn't have any.

Friday, I went to Game Champ (a nice little place here in Philly, at 15th & Chestnut Sts). I find myself buying games from this store alot. I went in there to buy SPEED KINGS (it looked promising, but it's not so great) - No preview discs.

Before giving up, I went to Target on Saturday. There were no Preview Discs in the case that they keep the games in. Before leaving, I decided to ask the guy at the Electronics Department cash register. Sure enough, they had a few copies but for whatever reason they were behind the counter next to the register.

SOUL CALIBER II is going to rock!  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2003, 08:12:57 AM »
Best Buy here is sellin' 'em for $40. That's insane.

Offline JSasky

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 08:52:16 AM »
For all the Canadians out there, Zellers has them for 14.95.
-Blues Explosion

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 11:02:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq
I began my search for the Preview Disc on Thursday. Game Stop was sold out (they said it was a very popular item and sold out as soon as they arrived). Sam Goody had one copy (priced at $0.01 - yes one cent!), but after the Manager called 2 other stores - he refused to sell it to me, citing that if it's priced at a penny it must be part of some special promotion that he isn't aware of. Then he stressed the fact that the back of the packages reads "NOT FOR RESALE". I went to Game Gallery - they didn't have any.

Friday, I went to Game Champ (a nice little place here in Philly, at 15th & Chestnut Sts). I find myself buying games from this store alot. I went in there to buy SPEED KINGS (it looked promising, but it's not so great) - No preview discs.

Before giving up, I went to Target on Saturday. There were no Preview Discs in the case that they keep the games in. Before leaving, I decided to ask the guy at the Electronics Department cash register. Sure enough, they had a few copies but for whatever reason they were behind the counter next to the register.

SOUL CALIBER II is going to rock!

I'm glad to see your persistence pay off.  You're a glowing example to us all.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 04:20:40 PM »

Originally posted by: JSasky
For all the Canadians out there, Zellers has them for 14.95.

yeah! EB i bought it from was sellin it for that too! it was on their shelf, but it wasnt on the main display, it was just placed with the older games that were placed on its side. so it was prety hidden! only ppl who wud get it are ppl who are looking for it, or ppl who accedently stumble upon it

"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline Monkey man

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2003, 07:29:20 AM »
I have never seen a Gamecube demo disc!Can you get them at gamestop?
I'm Monkey man

Offline JSasky

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2003, 08:42:04 AM »
Any one else think that Rebel squadron 3 grapics looked pretty weak.  Specially bad was the speeder bike section, what was that filmed on a N64?
-Blues Explosion

Offline JSasky

• View Profile
Official Demo Disc Talk
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2003, 08:44:52 AM »
F zero looked pretty sweet.  But you would think they could'ne got a guy who knew how to play the game for the movie.  The guy is like crashing into every wall.
-Blues Explosion