Author Topic: Just buy Sega already!  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Ninja X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2003, 10:18:06 AM »

Originally posted by: deminisma
"I know most teams over at Sega, such as Overworks, have a stronger liking to Sony than Nintendo."

WRONG. Two GC exclusives from Overworks (well SOA:L is sort of exclusive), duh.
Who else, really?

Two GCN exclusives, huh?  What is the other exclusive?  I hear the sequel to Skies of Arcadia will be on the PS2.  As for GCN, they are not sure yet, but it is very likely.  

Who else, really?  Well, Sega has ten different teams:

AM2
Overworks
Sonic Team
Amusement Vision
Smilebit
Visual Concepts
Sega Rosso
Hitmaker
United Game Artists
Wow Entertainment

Two of those teams seem to be dedicated to Gamecube, one being fully dedicated (Amusement Vision).  As it stands, Overworks is a toss-up between Sony and Nintendo.  If the SoA sequel is somehow exclusive to Gamecube, then it is safe to say Overworks is mostly dedicated to GCN.  But seven companies still remain.  Digging deeper into this though, I was wrong when I said most of them have a stronger liking to Sony compared to Nintendo.  Most of them make games for all platforms, except for Smilebit, who seems to be fans of the Xbox, and Sega Rosso, which seems to be Sega's arcade division.   On a surprising note, Wow Entertainment only released one title ever since the Dreamcast failed.  That title happens to be an exclusive title for GCN.  Wow is a toss-up.  Even if they like GCN more, I do not hear much about them and they do not have a track record of pouring out games.  

I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline lastexit

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2003, 11:11:54 AM »
In a strictly business sense, Sega is a total disaster.  THAT is why Nintendo, etc are not buying them.  The day Sega gets its house in order it will become a takeover target, as it is they will only be bought out if they really blow it and the price drops significantly because the company is nearing bankruptcy.

I think Sega needs to produce less games and concentrate on making the ones they have BETTER.  When they actually put some effort in, they had NFL2k.  Now, look at nfl2k3.  it's devolution, baby.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2003, 01:55:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
I doubt Nintendo would do that. Why did they get rid of Rare? Because Rare was eating their cash and not bringing in the pofits. And that's the exact same thing that would happen with Sega? Why do you think they are struggling? They dropped their hardware division and are still struggling, because they are simply not raking in the profits. And if Nintendo were to give Sega a lot of money and just let them be, it's not like they would change. That's a liability Nintendo couldn't afford. If Nintendo were to invest any money at all into Sega, they would make sure that Sega would make a good profit. And no, Sega can't do that if they still have control over themselves. Or at least, not in any acceptable time frame (for Nintendo).

Agreed.  Most of their games on all systems have not been selling well at all.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2003, 02:59:55 PM »
While i'll agree that Sega business practices are questionable at best, i'd say their biggest problem is they're spreading themselves too thin.  They need to streamline their releases, meaning instead of 20 something games a year, just focus on 10 real good ones.  I think they should just scrap the sega sports .  Maybe only make NBA and NHL games, as football is all wrapped up by EA.  Make the Sonic games, resurrect some oldies but goodies to re-establish themselves.  Give me another Space Harrier and Afterburner that include the old incarnations with the new.  An all new Golden Ax, but make it closer to Baldurs Gate than Gauntlet.  Streets of rage, while not my favorite game, could really be made into a new franchise, if done right.  Skies Of Arcadia sequel, along with Virtua Fighter Rpg, and now we're talking.  Once people play some of these old franchises, and their updates, the good feelings for Sega would return, so then they could introduce new franchises, and they would be more widly accepted.  They just need to focus, and it could be done rather easily, especially with the big N's help...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2003, 03:13:07 PM »
The problem with Sega is what is happening to many game developers these days, especially those that make unique games.  

1) Sega makes so many niche titles that they are not able to get a thick userbase.  Instead they have a small(yet powerful ) fanbase, each that protect their beloved niche games with their lives.  

2) Most gamers are not made of money, so they spend only on what they know they might like.  Sega's games seem so far-out for some gamers that they just pass over them, instead buying mainstream games such as GTA.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2003, 06:44:57 AM »
As an aside, I think the reason why GTA sold so well is because one person would buy it, his buddies would come over and play it and they'd say "Wow!  This game is hilarious!  I gotta get it!", and they'd all run out and buy it.  Sega's games don't really have this kind of word-of-mouth appeal, because you're right, they're very niche titles.  If I saw Jet Grind Radio on the shelf and didn't know what it was about I'd be like "Huh?  What?  Looks too weird to me..."  And then I'd reach for GTA.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline egman

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2003, 12:33:24 PM »
Good point Silks--My brother had his X-box with him during his Spring semester at college and the one game he really likes is JSRF. I asked him if anyone played mulitplayer with him during that time, and he told me instead that many people that saw him playing the game thought it was stupid or whack. Before Sony, Sega used to have the crown of cool but during the Dreamcast they adopted a strategy of "innovate or die" that maybe doing a lot to hinder them now from building themselves back up. On top of that, some of their big titles are losing appeal just as Nintendo's has been losing theirs. Most Japanese developers are having a tougher time in the West because western developers are delivering what is appealing to the western public right now.  

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2003, 07:33:01 AM »
Sega's two biggest development teams are the Sonic Team (who, obviously, make more than just Sonic) and AM2 (Yu Suzuki's crew; fighting, Shenmue, and everything in between).  Amusement Visison and the Sonic Team are the only teams who express love for the Gamecube.  Yuji Naka was apparently very annoyed that Sonic Heroes would have to be multi-platform, a decision that no doubt came from the higher ups.  Amusement Vision is tied in to the Triforce and are the main (pardon the pun) "force" behind the new F-Zero.  Of course, they're also responsible for Monkey Ball.  Yu Suzuki, however, has always expressed his disinterest in the Gamecube.  When asked once whether or not Virtua Fighter would ever appear on Gamecube, he remarked "I don't think it would work well for the Gamecube's image.  Maybe Virtua Fighter Kids."  Sega eventually committed him to Virtua Fighter Quest, a game that has mysteriously vanished off the radar in the last year.

Second parties tend to not get treated well by Nintendo.  If Nintendo were to buy Sega, they'd pretty much lose all independence as a company and become assimilated in to Nintendo.  Granted, this would be the same thing if they were bought by Sony or Microsoft, so they stay as a third party.  Nintendo likes to check in on second parties and often tinker with their games if they think it's not going well.  Those of us who are old enough to remember can recall a time when Nintendo did this to third parties and ended up pissing a lot of companies off.  All of Nintendo's current second parties never started off as big companies, so they are happy working with Nintendo to make games and such.  After all, if you made Metroid Prime or Eternal Darkness, you'd be pretty damn happy with yourself.  Imagine for a second that your the creator of, say, Jet Set Radio.  You had this great idea, and all of a sudden, Miyamoto busts in (with a banjo simply because I always picture him with a banjo in his hand) and tells you what tweaks to make to the game.  If you're a young and aspiring game developer, this would be the greatest experience of your life.  If you're a seasoned veteran, not even Miyamoto should be allowed to tell you what to do (from your point of view, of course; though, I do have an inkling that the Holy Father of Gaming is going insane now).  Plus, Sega is making more money as a third party than they were as a hardware manufacturer.  Nintendo doesn't want to buy them, Sega doesn't want to be bought.  It works out well.

Now if only we could just convince them to give us some exclusives...

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2003, 09:08:59 AM »
Sega does want to be bought....they're just playing hard to get.  And now EA is involved...AGAIN.   Just jump in Nintendo, and give the gamers what they want- A Sega under the guidance of the most profitable game company...ever.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2003, 01:16:52 PM »
No, they don't want to be BOUGHT. They want to be in some sort of partnership where they can get loads of cash without giving much in turn. That is, of course, why none of these proposals are working.

Ymeegod - They had SALES of 1 billion over those 4 years, not profits. Their profits were far less I assure you. May I remind you that apart from all of the money Nintendo poured into Rare during their overly long development schedules, Nintendo also wasted a lot of cash building and mainting a huge mansion for them to work in. That's right, in case you didn't know, Rare's employees work in a huge manor in the British countryside. They have a food court with restaurants inside. Rare = expensive. Not to mention Rare employed more people than any Nintendo developerr besides EAD (which employs over a thousand), and they need payin'. Anyway...I doubt anyone is stupid enough to totally buy out Sega, the thing all of these big companies are shooting for is a merger which would place Sega as the subordinate company.

Offline Jedi Master Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2003, 01:47:43 PM »
"I don't think it would work well for the Gamecube's image. Maybe Virtua Fighter Kids."
I'm going to stick it to Yu Suzuki. Suzuki's going down. I'm going to rape his village and burn his women.

Sega + Sony = Ok
Sega + Sammy = Good
Sega + Namco = Better
Sega + Nintendo = Best
Check out the games I own!

Currently Playing:
1) Final Fantasy VIII - PSX

Jedi Master Yoda

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2003, 02:33:27 PM »
Let me clarify-i mean buy a percentage, not Sega as a whole.  Nintendo has nothing to lose by doing this.  Just do it already!  I see no other match that would be as perfect for gamers, as well as 2 companys, as Nintendo and Sega.  Sega becoming a second party would be just what Sega needs, and would bolster Nintendos lineup considerably.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2003, 04:19:06 PM »
Sega has to LET Nintendo grab a stake in them.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2003, 06:53:56 PM »

Originally posted by: ShockingAlberto
Yu Suzuki, however, has always expressed his disinterest in the Gamecube.  When asked once whether or not Virtua Fighter would ever appear on Gamecube, he remarked "I don't think it would work well for the Gamecube's image.  Maybe Virtua Fighter Kids."

Yu Suzuki has been quoted saying that he like GameCube.  Why do you think GameCube is getting Virtua Fighter Quest exclusive.  I don't know where you got that fact he doesn't like it.

As for the guys who said the OverWorks has two exclusive GC games.  He is right.  One is SOA:L and the other is a new RPG called "Knights" or something, which they are currently developing.  It was reported on The Magic Box several weeks ago.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2003, 10:29:08 PM »
bad quotes from a mistranslation
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2003, 08:11:52 AM »
What exactly happened to VF Quest, anyway?  Wasn't it supposed to come out this year to commemorate Virtua Fighter's 10th Anniversary?

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2003, 04:35:35 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing Alberto. After being announced we've heard little to nothing about this game. I'm beginning to think Virtua Fighter Quest was canned. There was absolutely no mention of the game in all of the E3 coverage. Can anyone shed some light on VF Quest?

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2003, 09:27:10 AM »
Sure. It hasn't been canned. Yu Suzuki simply says it's not ready to show yet. However, I can tell you that it won't look like the normal Virtua Fighter games. The characters will have body to head ratios that are unrealistic and cartoony, like Virtua Fighter Kids...
Which, I think, is disappointing, but it's no surprise since Yu Suzuki always thought of the GCN as a kid's machine. Didn't he say that he might do a Virtua Fighter Kids? (jokingly)

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2003, 09:32:07 AM »
Gamefreak: I am 99% sure he said that, but I can't find the quote anywhere.  If you could, it would be much appreciated.

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2003, 12:39:34 PM »
Uh, sorry, he actually told me that in person.

Ok, so he didn't, I'm not sure he has a good grasp on the English language anyway, but I don't have time right now to search for it, sorry. I heard it several months ago in an interview on a blue colored website, if that helps

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2003, 02:02:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
Sure. It hasn't been canned. Yu Suzuki simply says it's not ready to show yet. However, I can tell you that it won't look like the normal Virtua Fighter games. The characters will have body to head ratios that are unrealistic and cartoony, like Virtua Fighter Kids...
Which, I think, is disappointing, but it's no surprise since Yu Suzuki always thought of the GCN as a kid's machine. Didn't he say that he might do a Virtua Fighter Kids? (jokingly)

If the game looks like Virtua Fighter Kids, the game isn't going to sell to well. Its Virtua Fighter for God's sake. I was expecting a Shenmuesque game, I mean Shenmue started as Virtua Fighter RPG. I refused to buy some dumb downed childs game with super deformed VF characters. Sigh...at least I have my import Shenmue 2 for DC.

Darc Requiem

"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2003, 08:59:35 PM »
Mr Suzuki most definitely said that.  I remember i started a thread flaming his ass after words...i'll find it...maybe Rick remembers....?

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2003, 09:44:36 PM »
That better be a mistranlation, Surely Yu Suzuki doesn't beleive X-box is where it's at? If he hasn't looked lately, I wouldn't call Abe's "whatever title" and Blinx an Adult themed game. Last I heard, all sega games sold horrible on that mutated 80's vcr gone wrong.

Yu Suzuki better rethink his stance on GC, as most of sega's sales have comed from GC than anyother console.

Sega need to better their relationship with Nintendo, instead of giving us an Exclusive  one a blue full moon.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2003, 12:25:31 AM »
I remember reading a Yu Suzuki interview a few months ago that the heads in Virtua Fighter Quest would be bigger; 1/5th of the body as opposed to 1/8 is how he said it.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Just buy Sega already!
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2003, 02:06:37 AM »
I dont see a useful reason of having mutated characters with mega big heads.
Thats like saying young kids (which certainly are very much into RPGs ) dont like the look of normal human beings?

Well, lets just see what it turns out to be, I dont judge before I havent seen anything.
LZ 2005