Author Topic: Wii U System Update Released; Yes, in 2021  (Read 20793 times)

Offline Grimace the Minace

• Matt Zawodniak
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Wii U System Update Released; Yes, in 2021
« on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:00 PM »

The Wii U is approaching maximum stability.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/56457/wii-u-system-update-released-yes-in-2021

After two and a half years, the Wii U has received a system update.

We're only two days away from its successor's fourth anniversary, but Nintendo seems to still remember the Wii U enough to make small changes after all these years. A new firmware update was quietly released today, bringing the system up to version 5.5.5 (skipping 5.5.4 for unknown reasons). Unsurprisingly, the update's official patch notes merely say that "improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience."

It's not clear why Nintendo chose to push out an update to the Wii U now, but the patch comes only four weeks before the day of reckoning where several of their limited-edition games will be delisted from the Switch eShop. Alongside the removal of these titles, the online features for the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker will be reduced on the same day, permanently disabling the ability for players to upload new levels to the game's online collection.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Wii U System Update Released; Yes, in 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 12:23:31 AM »
Honestly this is cool Nintendo keeps updating...but I kinda hoping one day Nintendo will update the Switch to allow the Wii U controller to be a Switch Stream So you can leave it docked.  That would be cool.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »
Honestly this is cool Nintendo keeps updating...but I kinda hoping one day Nintendo will update the Switch to allow the Wii U controller to be a Switch Stream So you can leave it docked.  That would be cool.

That's a neat idea. is the WiiU controller hardware compatible?

Offline Woody

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:00:18 AM »
I’m seeing a lot of Wii U on eBay with a hard drive and 60 top games. Most of which Nintendo are trying to sell on switch.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 04:58:56 AM »
Woody:  A fully Stocked Virtual Console Harddrive Wii U would be a total steal if the price was right. 

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
They are about £180 or about $200. One I saw had a home brew app installed.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 07:28:55 PM »
Quote from: NWR article
A new firmware update was quietly released today, bringing the system up to version 5.5.5 (skipping 5.5.4 for unknown reasons).

Checked today to make sure, but it looks like firmware version 5.5.4 was only in Europe/PAL regions, since Wii U's eShop is no longer compliant with creditcard regulations there. Might be why it's unlisted for the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:27:14 PM by Discord.RSS »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
They are about £180 or about $200. One I saw had a home brew app installed.
The Wii U is a really good emulation beast. PS1 and N64 games are a bit questionable but it can natively run Gamecube games which is really nice.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 08:30:01 PM »

That would be fantastic. But it seems like Nintendo wants to think about the Wii U as little as possible except to mine its catalog for future Switch titles.

I made a joke elsewhere that this firmware update makes the Wii U so stable the Wii U Gamepad can be used in place of the Balance Board to play Wii Fit U. :P

Offline fusiondb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 12:40:19 PM »
Whenever I try to look for what reason why they did a firmware update for the Wii U in 2021, I cannot find an answer. Yes, it says "improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience." however I don't feel like they would just put out it so randomly. They haven't added an update ever since a long time ago. So I have a few theories

1.) They're getting ready to discontinue all online servers for the Wii U (For Example Splatoon, Mario Maker 1 [Already Dead], Minecraft: Wii U Edition, and etc..) I was playing Minecraft: Wii U edition around march and suddenly when I try to play online again, it said something like Making improvements.  I texted other people who played the game online like me and they also said it wasn't working for them.

2.) Nintendo just wanted to get the updates over with/ A worker forgot to keep updating wii u so that's why he/she just did the update for the wii u now.

3.) They are planning to continue adding updates, and making wii u better. And maybe just maybe, making the wii u console available to connect/update there games to play with the switch.

But those are just theories if you have any comments about how you feel about this let me know, im not sure I'll look at them but I will if I can :) Cya, ima play Minecraft now on my wii u.