Author Topic: Circle Pad Pro XL Photos  (Read 13378 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Circle Pad Pro XL Photos
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »
Don't be absurd Fjurbanski. That wasn't what was wrong with your scenarios. You theorized a single event assuming two possible outcomes based on the assumption that they were 1. Negative 2. The second more negative possibility was more likely without basis 3. You used the incorrect probability distribution 4. You pulled statistics out of your ass.

Incorrect analogy TJ. The correct analogy is the Dual shock. Initially Sony didn't care much about it and Sony effectively had no first party game development at the time. It was the third parties that made the Dual Shock a success which lead to Sony making it the default in new systems.

The CCP exists. Second analogue is here for 3DS. What Nintendo is going to do with it going forward is the question. Nintendo had a chance to integrate into the XL, it didn't happen and my guess is that they were too deep in the development of the XL to make changes. The next revision will tell us the ultimate fate of the CCP.

If the second analogue isn't intergrated in the next revision, my money is on continued CCP as is via an accessory than to abandon it due to enough big devs continuing to make use of it.

The funny thing is, for both the Dual Shock and CCP it was CAPCOM that was pushing it forward with games like Resident Evil Dual Shock edition and Monster Hunter respectively.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 02:48:46 AM »
Uh, Sony had no choice with the DualShock since both Nintendo and Sega had controllers with analog sticks.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »
Just give up on a second analog stick being part of the 3DS, it makes no sense to make a revision even bulkier by adding it,and the CCP exists for those who want a second analog stick.
What the what? That's not how revisions work. Nintendo wouldn't be adding to the existing 3DS design; they would reengineer the entire thing. Parts become smaller and cheaper with the passage of time.
None of this changes the fact that Nintendo clearly does not care about the CPP. And if they don't care about the CPP as it is now, they're not going to make an entire console revision dedicated to it.
Nintendo cared enough to develop and release it. There is a clear benefit to it or Nintendo would not have bothered in the first place.

Adding Circle Pad Pro functionality would be PART of a revision, NOT the entire purpose of it. A revision would likely include many other improvements (e.g. thinner/lighter, cheaper to manufacture, better battery etc.), integrating Circle Pad Pro functionality merely saves Nintendo the trouble of making another Circle Pad Pro for it. All the cost of those extra supply chains is off the books which is good enough reason to integrate the functionality in a revision.
However, if Nintendo were already in the process of redesigning the system I don't see the inclusion of a second CP being expensive at all (particularly if it removes the need for Nintendo to design yet another version of the CPP).
Exactly. I don't think Nintendo would develop a new model just to include Circle Pad Pro functionality. It's no secret that Nintendo likes releasing portable hardware revisions. I think one is coming for 3DS eventually and including the extra inputs is something that makes sense.

I'm not saying Nintendo will integrate it in an inevitable revision. I'm not even saying I want it (it makes no difference to me, all I ever cared for were the larger screens in the XL). Rather, since there's a clear benefit to doing so, that's all the reason Nintendo needs. They're all about minimizing cost and maximizing profits. This does just that.
Uh, Sony had no choice with the DualShock since both Nintendo and Sega had controllers with analog sticks.
Using that same logic, Nintendo has no choice since Sony has two analog sticks on Vita.

I believe there's a disconnect over what is even being discussed here.

If the question is: Should Nintendo integrate Circle Pad Pro functionality into a revision? My answer is: Yes, they should, in my opinion, for reasons already stated.

If the question is: Will Nintendo integrate Circle Pad Pro functionality into a revision? My answer is: I don't know. It could go either way.

Nintendo has released a lot of revisions over the years. Some made more sense than others. Nintendo just does whatever they feel like and that is that. I don't think it's easy to say either way whether Nintendo will integrate Circle Pad Pro functionality into a 3DS revision. No one can say for sure whether it will or will not happen, BUT I've yet to hear a compelling counter argument for why it wouldn't be better if they did. Ultimately, if a revision is in the works, it's a cheaper (and far more beneficial) option overall to just integrate it than release yet another Circle Pad Pro for it. In that case, it makes way more sense to have it built in.... though Nintendo has proved in the past to not make sense. It's certainly possible for Nintendo to release a complete revision without Circle Pad Pro functionality and not make a separate Circle Pad Pro for it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:45:46 AM by Adrock »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »

Using that same logic, Nintendo has no choice since Sony has two analog sticks on Vita.

I thought about making that point, but then I anticipated the following response.

'Sony were actually competing with Nintendo and Sega during the PS1 era. The 3DS on the other hand has completely steamrolled the Vita. The Vita isn't in a position to force Nintendo to adopt anything'.

...or you know, something along those lines. Hence why I didn't bother.
Gouge away.

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any more 3DS revisions at all. Sure, the DS had a lot, but that doesn't mean the 3DS will also.

I guess it feels like the only thing they could do to make the system better would be to include the second circle pad, and I don't think they're going to bother. And if they aren't gonna bother with that, then I feel like they may decide the XL is as good as it's gonna get.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
I would be very surprised if Nintendo didn't release any revisions. No, it doesn't mean there absolutely will be one (or more), but there not being one would be far more out of the ordinary given Nintendo's history of releasing hardware revisions.

There are many possible changes. Like I said in my previous post: thinner/lighter, cheaper to manufacture, and better battery to start. Nintendo could also include improved screens, more RAM, faster processors among others things. Will they? I won't get into that. I'm only pointing out what is possible.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
A history lesson is in order. When Sony launched the PS1 back in 1994 it came with the playstation controller, no rumble, no analogue sticks. It wasn't until 1997 in Japan did they launch the dual shock we now all know and love. According to you this shouldn't have worked. But it did work, why?

It enhanced games that used it to the point that it became unthinkable not to have 2 analogue sticks. But developers were not stupid. Despite Sony's initially noncommittal stance to replace it's controller mid cycle, developers made use of the extra controls and coded in a set for people who didn't have the dual shock. The old control set were functional, it allowed people who didn't want to move to dual shock to keep playing and for people with it to have a better experience.

It didn't need 100% uptake to become the default. You just need enough uptake to make it common place. To  do that you program future games to make use of it, but also to have a fall back. Those who don't still get to play, those who have a CCP/Revision get an enhanced game. Simple.
so you REALLY want Frankenstick(one of the reactions when the circle pad pro was ANNOUNCED in the first place) to become a standard part of the 3ds experience...

here is where the issue comes, even if i dont upgrade and just get a pro i am still making a fair bit of comprimise in portability... otherwise i am forced to use a control scheme that is functional at best... if it becomes commonplace i am forced to lug frankenstick about wherever i go or forget it, the second pad should have been built in in the first place but it wasn't, and doing so now would force 32million current 3ds  owners to make this decision... i dont think nintendo wants to be the guy to go that...

and the dualshock transition was not as smooth as you are making it out to be...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
and the dualshock transition was not as smooth as you are making it out to be...
Dude, you were like three years old when that happened. I highly doubt we can trust your opinion on this so it's on you to prove it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:07:13 PM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Dude, you were like three years old when that happened. I highly doubt we can trust your opinion on this so it's on you to prove it.
spyro the dragon, fantastic game, if you don't have a dualshock however you are LITERALLY playing a mario 64-like platformer with a (horrible)d-pad and shoulder buttons to use for the camera. that is just one game released along that time(with two sequels).