Author Topic: Reggie's A Rockstar  (Read 13150 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Reggie's A Rockstar
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 04:00:26 PM »
[Reggie] WORDS WORDS We are not an either/or company WORDS WORDS
[Ian] I don't believe you.

~~~~~

[Ian] WORDS WORDS WORDS
[Pro] I don't believe you.

~~~~~

Seriously, why think that swinging the sword is the ONLY new Rev-influence Zelda will have?  Link fires arrows, uses hookshots, conducts music, throws grappling hooks, etc, etc, AND SOLVES PUZZLES.  Zelda is filled with block/switch puzzles that have traditionally involved push forward/pull back mechanics for nearly 20 years.  Think of how this can be expanded given the fact Rev follows how you move your hand.

Swinging Bowser around for the first time in Mario 64 w/ an analog stick was pretty insane/cool (lol compared to 360-deg Zangief pile drivers in Street Fighter w/ a d-pad).  Rev goes several STAIRCASES beyond that.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 04:20:17 PM »
that Zelda was cel -shaded...alof people were like "Nintendo is Doomed!!!"..although  those poiple are borrowing wind waker from another friend right now.

i loved wind waker personally...but i know alot of people arent as open minded as me
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 05:36:46 PM »
The sword stuff is going to be sweet.  IT's like Zelda now.  YOu know, target lock on the enemy and move around with the analog stick, but this time you'll swing the remote part instead of pressing buttons to swing the sword.  It's going to be fun.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
RE:Reggie's A Rockstar
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 05:17:04 AM »
I am extatic that Electroplankot is even coming to America, I dont care if its online only because I will just buy it online. Will say this though, I am amusician and this game is the DS game that has had my attention the most. I have already told other musiciansl that I know abot it and its the kind of game that they would play also. Its not just about music though, its art. As an artist also I think thsi game is going to totaly rock.

The people I associate with who make music, myself includied, curently use a program called Acid, made by Sony, well Sonic Foundry but they are a part of sony. Anyways what makes this music making program great is its not just easy to use, but its artistic value also. You see they way it works is you have a canvas and a paint brushand you paint teh sounds onto teh canvas and make songs, you use loops of coruse and that makes it easier also. Then You just paint pretty pictures and select teh loops you like and you can create a nice song in a few minutes. It has a lot of other features that make it a formidable tool and its the acaxt same tool teh Neptunes use. NOw when i tell othe rmusic producers like myself about Electroplankot I compare it to Acid, and they love it, mixing art and music is so perfectly natural. Anyways these guys all order thie programs online anyways so its no big deal to them, I just hope that Nintendo can get some online music stores to carry the "game" and have that club Dj they used at E3 to do a commercial for the game. Electroplankot isnt meant to appeal to gamers, from whative looked up on it, ist mean t to appeal to people with musical interest and artistic aspirations. Of course theres a big chance that if the games a huge success nintendo might offer it to stores that are interested. I would at least hope they sell it at Hastings and Sam Good though, cuz thats where teh target audience will be shopping anyways.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »

So you think you matter more than everyone else? Ian, if 99% of people are happy, does it really matter if you are? NO.

If 99% of people were happy, Nintendo wouldn't be languishing in 3rd place.  A product that satisfying shouldn't have a hard time selling, should it?  So just because you are satisfied, lets not throw out ridiculous numbers.  Ians point is as valid as yours.

As for Zelda, and swinging the sword, I'm quite certain it will be available to those who wish to use it.  Those that don't can stick with the shell.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 12:28:12 PM »
Back in 2003 the largest influence upon my decision the industry required a revolution was an arcade game that allowed the player to swing the sword however they chose.  I decided then that if such intuitive controls could be combined with the game design of home console games then gaming would again be fun for myself as a long time gamer and noobs.  Gaming has gotten too complex.  I like WW too, but I havn't played through it again since I beat it because it takes hours to get started.  Who in their right mind wants to go through all those tutorials again.  They need to remove this introduction from videogames and the easiest way to do this is to make it entirely obvious how to control the game in 3D.  The Revolution controller can do this, but if they chose to make arcade games with no adventure then they will have screwed up.  Likewise if they don't use this controller for something major in a major game like sword control in Zelda; gamers are going to be like WTF did you have in mind for this thing Mr. Iwata?

Nintendo can not make every game a game that every person can play; and they sure as hell can't make every game a game that appeals to everyone.  Sure Electroplankton is accessable to any player advanced or novice, but it is not likely going to motivate someone who is anxiously awaiting the next Halo or Metroid to go out and buy a DS.  Electroplankton, Warioware, and Nintendogs are accessable games, but they are not palatable to "gamers."  I say this knowing there is a niche market of gamers who really are hardcore about arcady games because they are as I just said, a niche.  Nintendo, I thought was not going for that niche of hardcore gamers into stuff like Donky Konga or Papa the Rappa or DDR; I thought Nintendo was trying to reach a new noncore market who these kinds of games may also appeal to simply because they are simple to play.

Nintendo can't make every game a game for everyone.  Nintendo needs to make their library of software appeal to everyone so that no matter what type of gamer you are you won't have trouble finding your tastes.  Basically there is only one market Nintendo is not making games for right now and that is for lack of better termanology "mature gamers."  I am talking about your nutty friend who hasn't played Metroid and doesn't want to cause he is hung up on Halo or Unreal or Doom 3.  I am talking about those gamers who own one of the other consoles and only owns that console right now.  Nintendo needs to attract those gamers.  I would suggest they get some major exclusive shooters for this new controller.  The only way to convince these fanboys is to kill the hell out of them using the Revolution controller and show them the analog stick and the mouse/keyboard setup are ancient history now.  These type of gamers will show respect for performance enhancement in their shooters.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2005, 01:34:37 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
Nintendo can not make every game a game that every person can play; and they sure as hell can't make every game a game that appeals to everyone.  Sure Electroplankton is accessable to any player advanced or novice, but it is not likely going to motivate someone who is anxiously awaiting the next Halo or Metroid to go out and buy a DS.  Electroplankton, Warioware, and Nintendogs are accessable games, but they are not palatable to "gamers."  I say this knowing there is a niche market of gamers who really are hardcore about arcady games because they are as I just said, a niche.  Nintendo, I thought was not going for that niche of hardcore gamers into stuff like Donky Konga or Papa the Rappa or DDR; I thought Nintendo was trying to reach a new noncore market who these kinds of games may also appeal to simply because they are simple to play.

Nintendo can't make every game a game for everyone.  Nintendo needs to make their library of software appeal to everyone so that no matter what type of gamer you are you won't have trouble finding your tastes.  Basically there is only one market Nintendo is not making games for right now and that is for lack of better termanology "mature gamers."  I am talking about your nutty friend who hasn't played Metroid and doesn't want to cause he is hung up on Halo or Unreal or Doom 3.  I am talking about those gamers who own one of the other consoles and only owns that console right now.  Nintendo needs to attract those gamers.  I would suggest they get some major exclusive shooters for this new controller.  The only way to convince these fanboys is to kill the hell out of them using the Revolution controller and show them the analog stick and the mouse/keyboard setup are ancient history now.  These type of gamers will show respect for performance enhancement in their shooters.

You realize that what you're saying, nemo, is that Nintendo needs third parties.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »
It would please me very much if third parties would deliver serious games to Nintendo's new console and not treat it as a place to dump arcade games.  It seems hypocritical to me for third parties to say the Revolution's library will be a bunch of arcady games (Edit: real nice planeteers, but I have many words in my vocabulary to describe a game as something that is not a complete game; taking away the use of certain derogatory terms can not censor my opinion of a game as nothing more than a mini game) when third parties are the ones who need to step up and ensure the controller is put to good use in epic games.  I want to see software; I need to be convinced that I can buy this one console and only this one console.  Nintendo's controller shows Nintendo is trying to attract third parties; hopefully those third parties will take this controller and use it as the new standard for their games rather than making a game centered around drawing crap on screen to cast spells.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 08:06:25 PM »

If 99% of people were happy, Nintendo wouldn't be languishing in 3rd place. A product that satisfying shouldn't have a hard time selling, should it? So just because you are satisfied, lets not throw out ridiculous numbers. Ians point is as valid as yours.

I believe he was talking about Revolution. 0/0 people are satisfied with their Revolution, so that's 100%.

As for Zelda, and swinging the sword, I'm quite certain it will be available to those who wish to use it. Those that don't can stick with the shell.

No way, it's going to use the new control methods as part of the game. What's the point of using these new controls if they can possibly be emulated with old ones?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2005, 08:40:23 PM »
"The sword stuff is going to be sweet. IT's like Zelda now. YOu know, target lock on the enemy and move around with the analog stick, but this time you'll swing the remote part instead of pressing buttons to swing the sword."

You just pointed out exactly what's wrong with sword swinging controls.  The current system with the lock on is incredibly easy to use.  With two buttons and the analog stick I can dodge, parry, horizontal strike and vertical strike with ease.  It works incredibly well and that's why sword swinging would be a problem.  Swinging a sword is much more complex.  Suddenly to beat that Iron Knuckle I need some real fencing skills.  Skills I don't have nor should be expected to have for a Zelda game.  Sure it could be simplified to basic movements (up does a vertical strike, etc) but if you're going to do that you might as well use the existing system which has the advantage in that it doesn't cause fatigue from moving a remote the whole time.  The whole point of using the remote with motion control to control a sword is for it to control accurately and pay attention to subtle movements so it feels like you're really fighting.  Without that level of control using the remote would be a g!mmick (I love how we censor any word that might cause *gasp* actual discussion).  That level of control and complexity goes against Zelda's design which traditionally has allowed for complex actions to be executed with simple commands.  Sword swinging is for something like Bushido Blade where the potential flexibility of the remote can be used to full effect without comprimising the game's design or using the remote as a g!mmick replacement for a d-pad.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2005, 09:14:33 PM »
Real fencing skills what the hell? You don't need to be a professional fencer to swing your arm/wrist.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2005, 09:17:48 PM »
For the last time..."Do not parse Emoticons" if you really want to uncensor it!

It's come up twice in this thread alone.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2005, 09:31:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"The sword stuff is going to be sweet. IT's like Zelda now. YOu know, target lock on the enemy and move around with the analog stick, but this time you'll swing the remote part instead of pressing buttons to swing the sword."

You just pointed out exactly what's wrong with sword swinging controls.  The current system with the lock on is incredibly easy to use.  With two buttons and the analog stick I can dodge, parry, horizontal strike and vertical strike with ease.  It works incredibly well and that's why sword swinging would be a problem.  Swinging a sword is much more complex.  Suddenly to beat that Iron Knuckle I need some real fencing skills.  Skills I don't have nor should be expected to have for a Zelda game.  Sure it could be simplified to basic movements (up does a vertical strike, etc) but if you're going to do that you might as well use the existing system which has the advantage in that it doesn't cause fatigue from moving a remote the whole time.  The whole point of using the remote with motion control to control a sword is for it to control accurately and pay attention to subtle movements so it feels like you're really fighting.  Without that level of control using the remote would be a g!mmick (I love how we censor any word that might cause *gasp* actual discussion).  That level of control and complexity goes against Zelda's design which traditionally has allowed for complex actions to be executed with simple commands.  Sword swinging is for something like Bushido Blade where the potential flexibility of the remote can be used to full effect without comprimising the game's design or using the remote as a g!mmick replacement for a d-pad.

Are you like Mr. Burns in the Simpsons and think you'll have trouble lifting a little remote and doing a few slashes?  Is your nickname Mr.  Glass?  When the sun is out without a cloud in the sky and it's 78 degrees do you find a way to not enjoy it?  

HOnestly, .....

Do you really believe what you post?  lol. Cause that is some 100% genuine b.s.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2005, 10:03:40 PM »
What the heck, Ian? You can beat any boss in Zelda using the same basic sword swing over again... are you telling me it wouldn't be fun to use an infinite variety of basic sword swings, or some advanced ones while you're at it? Instead of pressing A to swing the sword left to right again and again and again, you don't want to just swing it from down to up once in a while? Is that too advanced for you? Too exhausting? Need some fencing skills to do it?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »
If you step back and take Zelda the premise and examine it, you'll end up with some basic things. A story, the idea of puzzle solving dungeons, the idea of live action combat with multiple weapons, etc. So say you've got LttP and 3D has just been invented. But the invention came with the remote, not the analog stick. How do you design the game? Simple, you control everything. You don't change anything about the idea of Zelda, you just take it from top-down to 3D. But the major change is that everything is tactile. It's not the difference between realistic sword combat and Zelda, it's simply a difference in immersion. Your sword has free form, you aren't stuck with button combos. Things become simpler. Instead of a difficult combination needed to performa a downstrike or an upstrike, etc., you simply perform it. You could include a lock on system if need be, to centralize people. Instead of trying to remember that left left A is how you jab left when the enemy has a shield you, you just move your character right and make a left jab. It's simpler, not more complicated.

The difference in the revolution isn't the new genres, it's how much more tactile the old ones will be. This attempt has been around since 2D, we simply don't realize it. In making the SNES version of Zelda, a new game, several things were added. Things like switches which you pull on. In making the N64 things were added, like a rumble pack. One of the main changes in controls from the NES to the current generation, besides 3D space, is tactile. The reason there's a lock-on in the 3D Zelda games is that it makes it easier to fight. If you didn't even need to bother and just had to flick your wrist, it's twice as easy. We already pull back to pull the lever, push forward to move the box, so why not actually move our arms? For any intent and purpose we should just have to press A to move a box. Pulling on the control stick is rather pointless, it doesn't make the game much different. Yet if those things are removed we'd miss them, as we'd feel less involved. We'd just be pressing A over and over again. We've gone from button press to directional movement, and now we're going to real motion. It's the next step, it makes sense. It will make the games far more immersive.

Immersive in so many way. When people move they feel stronger emotions and reactions. The less of you that is moving, the less you respond. You can see this anywhere. The less interaction a game has, the less immersive. People can pickup Tetris and spend an hour without realizing it. Why? They're always doing something, always interacting. If you're walking down a hallway with your flashlight out, it can be tense. If you use your thumbs you'll be immersed. But if your arms are being used, that's more of you invested. When something jumps out in a movie, people shake or shudder or flich. When it happens in a game their hands fly up, their hands holding the control. he game isn't any scarier, yet they move more than with the movie. Why? They are physically involved. Even if it's just their hands, their hands reaction. Now image it's your whole arm, suddenly even more of you is invested, even more of you will react. Scares are just an obvious form.

Pressing buttons is not tactile or intuitive. We learn it. I've been playing PS2 and XBOX this weekend and I have trouble remembering which button is which (the four face buttons). I always get O and square mixed up. I've been gaming my whole life, I've played PSX and PS2 many times. Yet I am still learning where everything is. There was a brief learning curve on the GCN controller, which face button is which (X/Y). It isn't intuitive to push a button when you want to swing a sword. We learn it, and we understand it, but it isn't intuitive. Moving your arm to point a flashlight is intuitive, that's how flashlights work. The huge step this gives games is to have controls match reality. Currently games control nothing like reality. They can look real, sound real, their stories can be real, but they don't control real.

Maybe the Revolution will be a big disaster. But in 100 years I'd bet anything that games are controlled through tactile. More advanced than the remote I'm sure, but after 20 years of emulating the tactile, it's simply a matter of time before that innovation hits. We should just be glad it's our team who's doing it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2005, 06:48:19 AM »
Y'all realize that you're argueing over a game that hasn't even been announced right?

I think it's ridiculous for you to assume anything about the next Zelda game other than Aounuma and Miyamoto will make it as good a game as they possibly can. I mean seriously, you're already complaining about gameplay that is really 100% speculation on your part. You're basically making up something to complain about or discuss when you talk about "swinging swords in Zelda."

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2005, 07:06:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Y'all realize that you're argueing over a game that hasn't even been announced right?

I think it's ridiculous for you to assume anything about the next Zelda game other than Aounuma and Miyamoto will make it as good a game as they possibly can. I mean seriously, you're already complaining about gameplay that is really 100% speculation on your part. You're basically making up something to complain about or discuss when you talk about "swinging swords in Zelda."

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

It's a confirmed game. And Reggie said the swinging sword stuff. What's wrong with speculation? We're Nintendo fans, that's what we have to do 99% of the time.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2005, 08:49:16 AM »
Don't forget this quote on possible uses of the controller.

Akihiro Hino (producer at Level 5, ´True Fantasy Live Online´, ´Dragon Quest VIII´) believes that the Revolution will give birth to new types of games. He is personally interested in making an RPG where you hold a shield in one hand, a sword in the other and mount a head set on our head -- although he laughs that this would be impossible. More seriously, he seems concerned about players getting tired due to all the hand movement, regardless of how much fun their having. The hardware has a lot of potential, but he hopes that games are designed so that even if they're played for lengthy periods people won't get tired.

Its not an issue to me whether on not Nintendo will use this controller for aiming with the bow, hookshot, boomarang, and use it for motion capture sword slashes (if they don't, like I said earlier; I'm going to be like WTbloodyF did they have in mind for this thing).  The issue for me is whether we will be dual wielding remotes for sword and shield control; this could bring up camera issues which Akihiro Hino has already addressed bringing up a head set out of nowhere.  If we dual wield the remotes we would be required to use a dpad for character control and camera if there is no head gear or redesigns of the remote's surface mechanics.  The most likely form of control will be the nunchuck which won't allow the type of left hand right hand control Hino is suggesting, but it will allow us to use the analog stick for character strafing and running forward and backward.

I feel with the nunchuck piece there would be two ways to control the game.  In one way the camera could be locked in the 3/4 view making it so we don't have to use the lock on anymore (complete camera control would be optional through the remote, but the bow and other aiming weapons would allow for aiming using the remote in first person).  All turning would be controlled by the remote; with the sword you could also use this to do spin attacks without actually standing up in your living room and spinning around like the fabled Star Wars kid.  

The other way to control Zelda with the nunchuck would be to use the analog stick for moving and turning as the analog stick has been used traditionally; the camera would be controlled by the remote.  Using the lockon button would take care of camera freeing up the remote for weapon control.  I think I would prefer the first option using the nunchuck in which the camera is secondary to weapon control getting rid of the requirement of lockon for straffing.

Using the shell to control the sword would feel clunky; just pick up your GameCube controller and try swinging it around with both hands chained together.  It could work for aiming or camera control in a game, but not for weapon control.  

Personally I would like the a button on the remote to be removed and replaced by something like an analog stick or trackball allowing for developers to approach dual wielding games on the Revolution without sacrificing analog character control or independent camera control (having independent camera control would allow for each gun to be aimed in a different direction from the direction the player wants to look).  

Also I would like to say; what is up with the censorship.  It helps to use key terms to communicate an idea to the reader.  I feel a lot of the language we use around the planet here find its way out onto other boards and into people's editorials.  I'll be on 1up for example and someone will say something I first heard here a year ago about nongamers.  I guess its just a small internet.

Going back to what Akihiro Hino said about gamers getting tired and what Ian said; I think that people who complain about getting tired or being unable to perform athletic actions like swinging a sword are dooming themselves to be labled the stereotypical fat gamer living in their mother's basement.  These new ways of controlling games will ensure that gaming is nolonger associated with the negative zombie image it has had in the past.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2005, 01:14:15 PM »

More seriously, he seems concerned about players getting tired due to all the hand movement, regardless of how much fun their having.

Hahaha, he WOULD be concerned about that, considering he makes RPGs that are 10391 hours long, but to avoid that you can simply make the controls more relaxing. They don't NEED to make it so you have to backflip around doing walljumps in your living room, even though that would be awesome.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2005, 01:50:51 PM »
swinging the controller to emulate the sword? WTF? where did Reggie  confirmed that? the only confirmation that we have is the trailer, and those are very misleading (although they shouldnt be, its not like Nintendo said "this will be the new Zelda period!!!" at all)

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2005, 01:56:59 PM »
I think in the Iwata G4 interview he also alluded to swinging a sword in Zelda, when giving examples of uses of the NRC.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2005, 04:51:01 PM »

Ian, Reggie said explicitly they are a BOTH company and they want to cater both audiences, I dont see how you ommited that part.

Ian wants Nintendo to cater exclusively to him; "both" is not good enough. Which is fine, but it's hard to have much sympathy with that attitude. Especially at a time when there are THREE consoles coming out, and not a one of them is a good enough match for him, it appears.

Personally, I have no fears whatsoever that I will get $250 (or whatever the price point is) worth of fun out of the Rev. The rest of the argument is just silly. Zelda will feature sword-swinging, or point-and-click swinging, or just plain old-school button pressing of the phenomonally simplistic type it currently has, depending on which version the developers think is most fun. So why, oh why, are we angsting about this?
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2005, 05:32:57 PM »
i think for  250 gamecube would have had a gfx edge over xbox
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2005, 06:17:24 PM »
Whoops...

Look below...
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2005, 06:39:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Ugh. That's exactly what I don't want. Zelda isn't about swinging a sword. It's about an adventure.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll go ahead and repeat myself: zelda has always been about putting you in Link's shoes and making you feel like you're experiencing, as much as possible, what's going on the game. When you play your ocarina, you don't select the saong you want to play from a menu, you tap out the notes yourself with the c-buttons. When firing a bow, the game goes into first-person mode and allows you to aim the bow with the analog stick. That's what Zelda is about. Letting you feel like you are actually holding Link's sword by allowing you to control it directly would be keeping very in much tune with what the series.

You just pointed out exactly what's wrong with sword swinging controls. The current system with the lock on is incredibly easy to use. With two buttons and the analog stick I can dodge, parry, horizontal strike and vertical strike with ease.

Except that it's not that simple. Different kinds of sword swings require different anaolog stick + button combinations, and hitting another enemy who's attacking you requires you to shift your focus by pressing the lock-on button. Now, imgine instead a system where the sword on the screen corresponds exactly to your hand movements. Swinging horizantally/vertically, or hitting an enemy off to your side, would become more intuitve and more fun. And no, you wouldn't need advaqnced sword fighting skills anymore than you do now: the enemies in zelda have never engaged Link in complex fencing matches before, and I don't think they will now.

Originally posted by: nemo
Personally I would like the a button on the remote to be removed and replaced by something like an analog stick or trackball allowing for developers to approach dual wielding games on the Revolution without sacrificing analog character control or independent camera control (having independent camera control would allow for each gun to be aimed in a different direction from the direction the player wants to look).

Personally, I'd prefer it if the rev's controls weren't sacraficed just for the sake of dual-wielding. For most games, having 2 gyros will be completley unnecessary, in the same way that giving the DS 2 touch screens would have been completley unnecessary. No need to clutter the remote with an anaolog stick or trackball.

edit: un-itallisized
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon