Author Topic: Reggie's A Rockstar  (Read 13176 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Reggie's A Rockstar
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2005, 06:42:32 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
swinging the controller to emulate the sword? WTF? where did Reggie  confirmed that? the only confirmation that we have is the trailer, and those are very misleading (although they shouldnt be, its not like Nintendo said "this will be the new Zelda period!!!" at all)

Think about it this way. Nintendo has to assume leadership and show that their invention is what's best for gaming in general. Every single important Nintendo IP will use the remote. That's just plain old common sense.

To deny that Zelda will use the remote in some form is madness. We don't know exactly how it will be implemented, but the sole fact that it will be implemented is enough to start speculation. Furthermore, many people have already mentioned how Miyamoto, Iwata, and Reggie have all alluded to in some way that Zelda could have motion control that might emulate Link's arms.

Miyamto said he wanted people to actually "pull the lever." Both Reggie and Iwata used Zelda as an example of a GOOD way the controller could be used.

Now that we know the controller will be used, how could it be used in a fun, intiutive, and immersive way? Well, its quite obvious especially if the game creator mention its possibility....and of course, I'm talking about emulating Link's arm. It just makes sense to. Not only should the remote be used to aim a slingshot or something like it, but take it a step further, and let Link manipulate objects within the world (fishing anyone?).

So given those two things, Link can now interact with the world on a greater degree, and aim precisely. That's mostly what Zelda is, but Zelda wouldn't be Zelda without battling evil. Since the other parts of Zelda incorperate the NRC, why leave the fighting the same and essentially archaic? It would feel out of place if the NRC wasn't placed in somehow. So again, what is the most fun, intuitive, and immersive way to incorperate it? I say emulate arm movements, and keep the trend throughout the game.

This is what I'd like to see, but of course, I have no say in what we'll actually see. Anyway...

1: Z-targeting should still be intact. It's easy, and it takes care of the camera. Strafing should only occur while Z-targeting as well as jumps and side-jumps. Everything should essentially be the same. The main difference is Link's sword and shield.

2: To strike, you emulate the sword swing. This handles all of Link's attacks except for the jump attack and maybe the roll around attack (if it's still present. Also, I'm not exactly sure what way is the best to activate the spin-attack). This would essentially make your Link unique from my Link, and better yet, it immerses yourself into the game.

3: "A" would be left for the jumps/rolls/jump attack like the Zelda's seen today. The "B" trigger would bring up your shield. When holding your shield, you can control it with the NRC. This opens up a wide variety of gameplay not seen in any Zelda's to date. This would help alot when Link is on horse-back, and needs to block arrows. Better yet, Link can now redirect projectiles and sunlight with ease. He could also bat away bombs that are being thrown at him, and maybe redirect it into an oncoming foe or an object essential to completing a puzzle. As the game goes on, the fighting strategy could deepen. Link's attacks against a special kind of foe are useless. They either get blocked or canceled out. Trying to counter after the enemy attacks doesn't work either. To defeat it, Link has to wait for the enemy to attack, and when he does, whip out his shield and bat away the foe's sword. The better the timing, the farther the enemy's sword ricochets backwards, leaving him open and sometimes even swordless.

I don't want to get into detail about the game in its entirety, so i'll just leave it there.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Reggie's A Rockstar
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2005, 08:44:28 PM »
Firefox has a nice extension that'll let you go forward/backward through the internet, close or open a tab, double the size of a pic, etcetera, just by holding right click and jabbing it in a direction. I don't see why the Rev controller has to be about flailing your arm around the living room. Just hold A, and juke the controller

left - sideswipe

right - sideswipe again combo

(or left and right could be side jumps)

leftright - spin

forward - slash

back - parry

forwardback - backflip over an enemy, stab him in midair

up - general sky thrust, good for hitting incoming bats.

updown - jump thrust

that'll free up the B button for selecting another item, or the I LOVE HALO 2z can go to the options menu and change it back to the old way.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2005, 10:19:02 PM »
People forget the huge possibilities that come with actually controlling the sword directly... you can use the thing as a shield actually parrying blows. Character movement with two remotes in hand is quite easy...tilting the shield remote moves your character (how comes that people forget that TILTING the controller can be used for issueing commands). tilt forward, character moves forward. The shield remote is only there so the game knows where your shield has to be postioned so you can use the A button for jump and B for a potential shieldbash attack.

I even had the crazy idea where you have this gladiotor game and you push on both controllers D-pad up makes you drop our weapons (the other guy dong the same thing) and it becomes a boxing match, with the controllers in hand. Using A or B grabs the other character and bam, instant antic wrestling, flicking the controller fast in the right direction makes you do slammoves and others.

Bring it!
"SOMETHING"

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2005, 05:41:19 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
Firefox has a nice extension that'll let you go forward/backward through the internet, close or open a tab, double the size of a pic, etcetera, just by holding right click and jabbing it in a direction. I don't see why the Rev controller has to be about flailing your arm around the living room. Just hold A, and juke the controller

Mouse gestures! I've been using them for about a year and a half now, ever since I got Firefox. I surf the internet a LOT faster now, and I find it frustrating when I'm on a machine without them. The rare time I use IE for a site that requires it, I always forget it doesn't have them and try to use them. They're great!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2005, 01:51:56 PM »
thanks mjr...i downloaded them

i feel  im  in the future n ow
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2005, 12:10:50 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

Going back to what Akihiro Hino said about gamers getting tired and what Ian said; I think that people who complain about getting tired or being unable to perform athletic actions like swinging a sword are dooming themselves to be labled the stereotypical fat gamer living in their mother's basement.  These new ways of controlling games will ensure that gaming is nolonger associated with the negative zombie image it has had in the past.

I am the stereotypical fat gamer (though I don't live in my mother's basement).  I'll be the first to play a fun game that involves exercise, but I don't know if I want every game to be that way, and the fact that games don't come down to an athletic competition is one of the things that makes them fun for me.   I'm not coordinated enough to win a "real" sword fight with Ganon!

Having said that, I'm starting to see the possibilities of a Zelda game where the controller is used as a sword.  I challenged myself to come up with a control scheme that would let me fight with the controller while leaving the basic Legend of Zelda game design intact, and there are some good options.  Making it work might involve turning the game into a first-person title, which would freak me out, but if it plays well, I can deal with that.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2005, 12:22:56 PM »
Reggie speaks on cube.ign again; four new pages posted on the tenth.

here boy

on zelda:

The challenge of having a real sword fight lies in the thirty pounds of steel and its ability to cut you toes off if you don't watch out.  I expect the Revolution remote to be based more on accuracy than athletic ability.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2005, 12:33:34 PM »

I'll close today with one more thought from Jack Welch. He said: "Change -- before you have to." For our industry, we believe it's time to change. The entire bet on this upcoming generation of home systems for manufacturers and publishers boils down to change. Do we only give them more of what they've always wanted no matter what the cost? Or dare to give them something new? Do we change? Do we make games that play just like the old ones? Or expand the very definition of a game? Do we change? Are we satisfied just serving current players? Or do we offer a turn to the millions still standing on the sidelines? Do we have to courage to change?

For Nintendo, we're not leaving the old market behind. We're just out to expand it. To show the world what a bigger, more robust more profitable market looks like. Blue ocean, her we come."

This is just an awe-inspiring end quote, in my opinion...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2005, 12:45:19 PM »
If there were any doubts, they should be put to rest - Reggie is in fact THE man.  All his analogies are right on, the logic makes complete sense and he makes it seem like Nintendo, the business, is completely conscious to every thing in the domain of games.  I trust this dude - he runs sh!t.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2005, 01:05:34 PM »
Like before Reggie does any amazing job of making a strategy I'm iffy about sound like the most brilliant thing ever.  Why the hell does Iwata do any speeches anymore?  Reggie just blows him away.  Reggie makes Nintendo sound brilliant.  Iwata makes Nintendo sound spazzed.

Most of it is the same type of stuff from the first speech though there is a few things I want to touch.

"This chart is familiar to most industry observers. It's the trend of the Japanese game industry revenues over the past several years. What use to work, well, isn't as working as well anymore."

Fair enough.  But it brings to the front a common point against Nintendo's strategy.  This is for Japan and like I've mentioned a million times, that doesn't necessarily reflect on the entire industry.

I also think his movie analogy is flawed.  In that case the special effects spectulars are getting stale and the solution seems to be going back to acting and writing which has always worked.  The problem is Nintendo isn't going back to the basics or at least to me they aren't.  The truth is Nintendo has stayed away from the "flash" that the competition has relied on.  Nintendo games still are about tremendous gameplay.  Graphic updates for Nintendo games are like using colour film for movies.  They make use of new technology but it's like using special effects to remove Gary Sinise's legs in Forrest Gump.  Technology is used to enhance but not used as a crutch or as the focus.  Just like how great films are great films regardless of what special effects are present, great games are great games and Nintendo typically makes great games.  The whole "spending billions doesn't always work" only applies to crap that relies on flash to attract attention.  Lord of the Rings wasn't successful because it had nifty effects.  It was successful because it was a great movie with a great story, great writing, great acting and great directing.

Nintendo makes the game equivalent of Lord of the Rings.  Sony and MS make the game equivalent of Star Wars Episode I.  So Nintendo's model isn't broken because they know how to make great games and don't rely on technology as a crutch.

But Nintendo is acting like they're the ones making Star Wars Episode I.  Like they're the ones making the shallow games that rely on flash over substance.  So why are they going in this new direction?  They're the only console maker that could survive a shrinking market as is.  Plus it's not like they're going back to the basics.  They're going in a brand new direction outright.  So the film analogy doesn't work because films aren't going in a totally different direction to fix the problem.  Reggie talks about how films like the Godfather were able to be successful by relying on the old method of acting and writing.  So wouldn't that work for gaming too?  To me it's like Nintendo is right about the problem but not the solution.  Sony's model, introduced with the Playstation in 1995, is broken.  But Nintendo's model, introduced with the NES in 1985, is not the exact same model and isn't as flawed as Sony's.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »
I feel everything he is touching on are issues within literature and painting that I have been wrestling with for...well, years.  It boils down to purpose of art.  My poetry teacher would tell me writing is about composing sentences.  My fiction teacher would tell me writing is about the issue or theme communicated with the sentences.  Niether is wrong and yet they both are as it is not all about one or the other; its about finding a balance.  Right now I have found myself coming to a dead end in developing my natural writting abilities; the deeper I get into the language the sooner I lose my reader and I want to be accessable like Robert Frost.  I don't want to write with a language that is exclusive; so I find myself going the exclusive route with subject matter.  I write plainly, but I try to find subject matter that is neither cliche or done.  It is integral to pick original subject matter; this presents a challenge to me to talk of the subject to the reader and have to educate the reader at the same time rather than simply making an allusion to Egon Schiele which goes completly unrespected by the ignorance of english majors because they know jack about painting and film.  The way I see it is that I have developed my ability to write well enough now and it is time I use that ability as a tool to actually talk about something and press a philosophy.

The opposite is true of the game industry.  The game industry still has a lot of room to develop its ability to communicate while at the same time it seems reluctant to spend the time to develop its technique further so to be more accessable.  The game industry has turned into a singular testical lonely old grubber who won't let go of his message long enough to realize he needs to develop a more painterly stroke so to attract an audience to actually hear his tale.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2005, 07:14:04 PM »
Wow nemo83, that was really well put. I didn't know you had it in you.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2005, 07:51:24 PM »
"The game industry has turned into a singular testical lonely old grubber"

Whoa...first Perm spelled "Vertical" as Verticle,   then Nemo spelled "testicle" testical

Amazing

Uhh, yeah... great post Nemo.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile