Author Topic: The World Ends With You  (Read 23985 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: The World Ends With You
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 05:34:24 AM »
So far I don't think I'd take the soundtrack even if it was free.

What I'd definitely hold against the game is that you don't unlock the ability to replay a failed battle immediately until after the fifth day. Going through a looooong cutscene again because you lost against a boss is FAIL.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »
Really?  I didn't die until the Joshua chapter.  In matter of fact up until the 2nd major boss I have had no issues but now the game has become extremely hard, perhaps I should grind a few level to pick it up. 

I really love this story though, the little plot twists here and there really make you rethink some characters. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »
I died right away during my first few battles IIRC. Of course I have no trouble when I use my full power ("There's something you should know. I'm not left-handed either!") but most of the time I fight at lv1 for maximum drops.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:15 PM »
I've been trying to review this for the last week now and I'm having a tough time.  I still don't feel like I'm "getting" the battle system.  I can't help but feel like I'm brute forcing the enemies and missing some layer of finesse.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
So far I don't think I'd take the soundtrack even if it was free.

What I'd definitely hold against the game is that you don't unlock the ability to replay a failed battle immediately until after the fifth day. Going through a looooong cutscene again because you lost against a boss is FAIL.

Well technically in a way I did get the soundtrack for free since the itunes gift card was a gift from a company.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
New question!

How exactly do you "scratch" the screen?  I can't get any of these "scratch" pins to do anything.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
I pretty much gave up on them, but you have to rub a small area back and forth.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
I pretty much gave up on them, but you have to rub a small area back and forth.
Really, really, fast might I add, like almost to the point of where you believe you are going to break your screen fast, then it works. . .

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2008, 07:58:45 AM »
So scratch indeed...

I think you are pretty much meant to brute force on the top screen, your defenses are limited so suppression fire seems like the only option.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
I'm totally digging this game.  Stupid question though, how do I get Shiki to do jumping combos?  I know the instructions said to press up to jump, but when she does that she only throws her teddy bear thing at the ground hitting nothing.  What am I doing wrong?  The old spam left or right strat seems to be working, but I'd like a bit more variety.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »
Jump attacks don't work for me either...

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 02:29:28 PM »
Yeah, so I reread the jump attack instructions and it said that she will attack airborne enemies.  I'll have to find me some of them red bats and test it out.  Great game.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2008, 01:46:07 AM »
Ok, I'm in deep now.  Let the obsession begin.  I need some friends to mingle with or play the tin slammer thing.  How's down?
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
GODDAMN ONE-TIME EVENTS

Here's the deal.  I'm on day 3.  I'm right before the bat boss.  I just got the Ramen and Cough Drops memes and spent 20 minutes wandering around trying to figure out what to do with them.  In frustration, I looked it up online and found out I was supposed to use them on the tech, who's already entered the concert hall.  So am I screwed with no way of doing this?  Did I miss anything important?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
I'm a little bit further than you, but did the exact same thing.  Apparently:

Once you beat the game, you can go back and replay any chapter to get things you may have missed.

Honestly though, I wouldn't let it bother you.  It reminds me of the old SNES days when I'd see a treasure chest in a corner when I was at the exit of a dungeon.  Being young and greedy, I'd backtrack all the way to the chest to get it's contents.  Inevitably, it would be a sword or piece of armor that was 1 or 2 points better than what I was currently using.  By the time I'd get to the next town, the items would be surpassed by the newer equipment.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
It reminds me of the old SNES days when I'd see a treasure chest in a corner when I was at the exit of a dungeon.  Being young and greedy, I'd backtrack all the way to the chest to get it's contents.  Inevitably, it would be a sword or piece of armor that was 1 or 2 points better than what I was currently using.

I do the same thing in Zelda all the time.  9 times out of 10 it turns out it's a big rupee that I don't even have room to carry.  I hate that.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2008, 04:12:28 AM »
I'm to day 3 and so far the game is tons of fun and has a simple yet still compelling story.

I have a question though, in regards to the battle difficulty could i technically beat the whole game on easy? Or does playing on easy all the time make the game harder as you near the end since you don't get the good drops?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:27:51 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »
You can beat the whole game on easy pretty much.  There is a cool feature you get very soon, that lets you replay a battle when you die without having to go back to your last save point.

When you replay you can also go ahead and pick "Replay on easy" as an option.  This allows you to set your difficulty to normal or hard, but still have easy to fall back on if it means losing a ton of progress.

The difficulty settings affect your ability to collect everything in the game more than they affect actually beating the game.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
I haven't tried easy, I play on higher difficulties and at lower levels to get the most loot. I think if you always play at full level the game is fairly easy even at medium difficulty. I know for one big boss (the one that gives you the "replay battle" feature IIRC) I failrd at low levels so I just moved the slider to maximum. Felt kinda like "Now face my TRUE power!", I whipped the boss so badly I could probably have left the slider a good bit lower.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
I'm on day four, and I play on nothing but normal with my level set to 1.  So far I kick ass.

I have a question about the money pins.  Is there any point in not cashing these out immediately?  I've seen a few items in shops that you need to trade the low value ones (1, 10, etc.) instead of paying money, but that's it.  Also, the menu descriptions say that these pins can evolve, but they look like they're maxed out.  Am I missing something?

Anyone see the Zero Punctuation review?  I've been avoiding it because I'm sure there are spoilers related to the story that I don't want to hear.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
The stupid part about the ZP review is at the end he implies you have balls if you play FPSes. LOL DOUCHE BAG.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
I haven't tried easy, I play on higher difficulties and at lower levels to get the most loot. I think if you always play at full level the game is fairly easy even at medium difficulty. I know for one big boss (the one that gives you the "replay battle" feature IIRC) I failrd at low levels so I just moved the slider to maximum. Felt kinda like "Now face my TRUE power!", I whipped the boss so badly I could probably have left the slider a good bit lower.

I play the same way, medium difficulty on level one.  The only problem with that is when you stumble into a boss fight or fighting any of the medium to large noise in week 3.  Beat sucks as a partner.

I have a question about the money pins.  Is there any point in not cashing these out immediately?  I've seen a few items in shops that you need to trade the low value ones (1, 10, etc.) instead of paying money, but that's it.  Also, the menu descriptions say that these pins can evolve, but they look like they're maxed out.  Am I missing something?

I'm quite a bit further along then you are and I can say this about money pins: Don't get rid of all of the lower value ones.  Some quest items require the 1, 5, 10, and 50 pins for trading later on in the game.  The problem is that the enemies you face won't drop those values anymore.  Do yourself a favor and stock up on them, it couldn't hurt, right?

I have have leveled up a 10 yen pin into a 100 yen pin at which point it became mastered.  I still haven't figured out how to get a regular 10 yen pin though.  Some items require them right now and I can't get em.  Oh well....

Oh yeah one last thing, load up on bravery foods.  Bravery requirements for items balloons later on in the game.

The stupid part about the ZP review is at the end he implies you have balls if you play FPSes. LOL DOUCHE BAG.

Wait, they don't?!  ;)

I seriously love his reviews as he is right on the money nine times out of ten.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2008, 03:20:29 AM »
My progress in the game was halted by getting several good books in rapid succession and getting Brothers in Arms DS for cheap so I haven't played TWEWY in a long time...

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »
Beat the game a few days ago and last night got the secret ending.  It was cool but not sure worth the extra time.  I could of youtube'd it really.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »
Beat the game a few days ago and last night got the secret ending.  It was cool but not sure worth the extra time.  I could of youtube'd it really.

I beat the game a few weeks back and started unlocking the secret reports before getting bored of it.  Went to gamefaqs and read the story.  Pretty cool back story. Now I'll go Youtube the extra ending.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933