Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410594 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Updates (video gamer.com)
« Reply #1350 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_will_reveal_new_hardware_at_e3.html

I expect "if" anything its an Android based tablet and dock with a "3DStylus"  SD card and 3DS/DS Game Slot and a few more bells and dings. Not WiiU successor! Far too soon for that.

*3DStylus is a small wiimote that has no buttons and is the size of the XL Pen.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1351 on: May 02, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »
It's nothing. I can't link easily with my phone. Gamespot updated their article with a Nintendo denial that any new hardware will be at e3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 02, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »

*3DStylus is a small wiimote that has no buttons and is the size of the XL Pen.

Why would a stylus designed top work like a wiimote, as in not touching the screen, not have any buttons? How would you select what you are hovering over?
I would make that "3D" stylus with no more than 2 buttons on it, but at least 1, otherwise it's not really functional unless you use it to touch the screen, which invalidates the idea of it being "3D".

It's nothing. I can't link easily with my phone. Gamespot updated their article with a Nintendo denial that any new hardware will be at e3.

I'm the past, Nintendo has denied new hardware right up till the point where they announced it several months later, not sure if I expect that approach to suddenly change now. I won't fault everyone to continue speculating until E3 under the assumption that it could still happen.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:44:18 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 02, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »
Forget Months.  Nintendo has denied items to Day in front.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 02, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
Funny I keep hearing "well we're about due for a 3DS revision".  Uh, yeah, remember the 2DS?  That came out like six months ago.  How the hell are we overdue for another revision?  It's not like I wouldn't expect another one from Nintendo but it isn't like the 3DS has been unchanged for years.

If Nintendo doesn't show some new hardware at E3, and were never going to, they're going to get flack for not living up to expectations.  That's not really fair so I hope IGN weren't pulling this out of their ass.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
Forget another revision, we are due for a handheld successor.

And should it happen, I hope they don't go for something that compliments the Wii U unless their plans for the next home console is based off of that too.
In other words, whatever their next handheld is, it should be the right hand companion of its next home console, which would hopefully be announced the following E3.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 02, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
The PSVita shows that a completely handheld Wii U (albeit with no Wiimote support) is completely possible.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 02, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »
I don't really consider XL and 2DS to be revisions as they're both sold alongside the original 3DS. That's way different from like GBA SP and DS Lite which replaced the older models.

Anyway, I think people's expectations of this are way too unrealistic. It'll probably be something minor like the Wii U Fit Meter.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
A VC only box?
black fairy tales are better at sports

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 02, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »

I thought Nintendo's always "didn't comment on rumors" which is what they did initially. Then it seemed like they didn't want talk to snowball so they came out and said no so I believe them. QoL is supposedly coming out in 2015, so I'm sure they are at least working on that now. I just don't expect to see any new hardware at E3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 02, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »

A VC only box?
You are reminding me of my ideas of the roku like box that works with the gamepad. An all digital version that accepts external HDD for massive expanded storage of downloaded games. It only comes with a wiimote+, but is fuilly compatible with the gamepad as well. Sell it for $149.99 including a $5 eShop credit.

Nintendo would need to massively increase their supported apps though, and greatly expand the VC & Wii U ware catalog though for it to even be considered a remotely good idea.

I thought Nintendo's always "didn't comment on rumors" which is what they did initially. Then it seemed like they didn't want talk to snowball so they came out and said no so I believe them. QoL is supposedly coming out in 2015, so I'm sure they are at least working on that now. I just don't expect to see any new hardware at E3.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo denied the existence of Project Cafe (Wii U) several days before revealing it back in March of 2011. I may not have the exact days or the month correct, but it was denial of existence within a week or so of revealing the project.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:08:13 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »

What the hell?  The 3DS is only three years old.  The DS lasted for five years before the DSi half step and seven years before the 3DS.  I suggest replacing an outright bomb in the Wii U and get all sorts of responses about how it's too soon and it would piss off the customerbase and yet the 3DS, the system that IS successful and has a sizable enough customerbase that pissing them off might actually matter, is due to be replaced after only three years?  That's ridiculous.

This is a totally out-there idea but it is hardware and I'd love to see it from Nintendo.  I want re-releases of old Nintendo hardware for the retro collecting market.  There are machines you can get that play NES and SNES games but they use emulation.  Nintendo could make something that uses real hardware.  This would be especially nice for the NES since those old systems are pretty unreliable.  And maybe they could tie this in with a VC box so you're playing your VC games on authentic hardware!  There is a market for this kind of stuff since companies will sell replacement PIN connectors and A/C adapters for old consoles, but it's a niche market and Nintendo would probably not consider that worth pursuing.  Plus they probably don't want to encourage you to play old used copies of games.  But there are companies finding success selling NES clones and Nintendo is leaving that money on the table.  Unless they were of poor quality, official Nintendo versions of such products would probably own that market overnight.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 02, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
Maybe they're finally ready to release the Vitality Sensor...

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 02, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
The 3ds is still selling really well (I know they lowered projections).  I think it's in need of a price decrease to spur sales and get the 2dsbelow the important $100 point and open a new market for the system and its games. I think it's important to tap this market before a new system is released. I also think they will have a hard time pushing a new system if they try to sell a portable for $200+ this soon after releasing the 3ds. The $169 point seemed to be a price point consumers could get behind but I'd like the 3ds to be cheaper to make a new console at $169 reasonable.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 02, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
Nintendo has about 26-31% market share in this new gen and people want them to introduce new hardware? Losing ain't lost yet. Handheld is where the drama is (japan), that's where they will go first. There is plenty of blood, treasure and glory left to be decided on the console front.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: May 02, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »

What the hell?  The 3DS is only three years old.  The DS lasted for five years before the DSi half step and seven years before the 3DS.

It's a different market now and different times call for different measures. They don't need to release it this year, but announce it at E3, announce the launch date just after the new year and release it in March/April 2015. 3DS would have survived 4 years before being replaced. Some new handheld hardware that is more on the level of Vita, but with some improved Nintendo philosophy towards accounts, online and connectivity could be a really good step in building faith for the eventual announcement of the Wii U successor late next year.

Of course this is all based off "Nintnedo is showing new hardware at this E3" because personally, I think if they can hold off one more year, and then launch the 3DS successor early 2016 and the Wii U successor end of 2016, and they both compliment each other as if they were made to go together but also work perfectly fine separately, then that would be even better.

I suggest replacing an outright bomb in the Wii U and get all sorts of responses about how it's too soon and it would piss off the customerbase and yet the 3DS, the system that IS successful and has a sizable enough customerbase that pissing them off might actually matter, is due to be replaced after only three years?  That's ridiculous.

It's too soon for the Wii U. Nintendo has to ride it out for atleast another year. 4 years and a replacement for Wii U will hit. End of 2016 puts them mid cycle to the PS4/XBO consoles. right when devs are looking for more power. It would be a good strategy of Nintendo to offset their schedule with the competition instead of everyone trying to coolest new kid on the block all at the same time.

It's the same line of thinking as the Wii U would have been amazing had it come out in 2011, unfortunately it came out in 2012, when much better things were following on it's heels. A 2 year headstart could have made all the difference with PS4/XBO on the horizon.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 02, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
I'm glad BnM isn't the President of Nintendo.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 02, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »

What did he say. Post made some sense to me. But what the hell do I know.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
I can't see Nintendo replacing 3DS any time soon. I wouldn't want them to either. We aren't getting Monster Hunter 4 until next year. A 3DS successor around that time next year can kindly get the **** out of my face.

I can't see Nintendo replacing Wii U any time soon either. I think Nintendo can still eventually turn a profit on Wii U even while selling far, far less than the competition. Not an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination, but it's why Nintendo positions themselves the way they do. I get it even though they can stand to be much smarter with their frugality.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 02, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »

It would be a much different Nintendo than what we are currently disappointed with today. That much I know. I couldn't tell you if we would be any more successful that they are right now, but I would hope that wouldn't be any worse.
Even if we aimed for the same concept of what the Wii U is today, I would have put more focus on speed, features and functionality over Nintendo uniqueness, size and power consumption.

Which would you have preferred in the end?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 02, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
Not making a 3DS successor after three years is one thing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 02, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
If you read, I said launch it on the 4th year (March/Apr 2015). and ultimately I would want them to wait till 2016 to succeed them both. I only suggest announcing it at this years E3 because the rumor was that there was going to be new hardware shown off at this years E3.

if it came down to replacing the 3DS next year or the Wii U, I would hope that Nintendo would choose the 3DS. Nintendo has seen it's success with it, it can now move down in to the budget category and should Nintendo launch a new handheld, it is WAAAAAY too soon for Sony to follow suit as it's only been 2 years, and I'm sure they have quite a ways to go before even catching the scent of a profit on Vita. Nintendo could effectively put the nail in that coffin and secure an uncontested victory in teh handheld sector.
It's way too soon for the Wii U and no one but the hardest of hard core would buy another Nintendo home console so soon when they haven't even gotten their money's worth out of the Wii U yet. we are still waiting on key games. it would be home console suicide to replace it before the 4th year and promised (since near launch) software.

But this whole speculative discussion on whether "new hardware" turns out to be 3DS or Wii U successors/revisions could be moot if new hardware turns out to be whatever Quality of Life products are.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:04:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 02, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
It is time for a new color for WiiU. I thought the MarioKart Bundle would have been red but just the motes.

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 02, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »
I can't see Nintendo replacing 3DS any time soon. I wouldn't want them to either. We aren't getting Monster Hunter 4 until next year. A 3DS successor around that time next year can kindly get the **** out of my face.

This.

It's a different market now and different times call for different measures. They don't need to release it this year, but announce it at E3, announce the launch date just after the new year and release it in March/April 2015. 3DS would have survived 4 years before being replaced. Some new handheld hardware that is more on the level of Vita, but with some improved Nintendo philosophy towards accounts, online and connectivity could be a really good step in building faith for the eventual announcement of the Wii U successor late next year.

What?  3DS is expected to sell 13.5M units in fiscal 2013 (we'll see where it ends up).  Those are incredible sales and 3DS owns the handheld market.  The 3DS is great for the market.  Nobody is not buying a 3DS because it doesn't have Vita power, the lower cost model fits handhelds.  Nobody is not buying a 3DS because of it's online and connectivity.  Does the Vita do better at those?  No, because nobody is ever online playing that platform.  The 3DS makes money and sells well.  It's just not in need of a replacement yet. 

Don't mistake the Wii U pulling Nintendo in a loss position as a reason for changing the market that makes Nintendo money.  Would you be thinking a 3DS needed a replacement if Nintendo was making money?  A new product needs to be driven by the market.  Nintendo dropping the 3DS for a Vita like replacement is not a good model.  When hardware worthy of change needs to happen or demand in the 3DS really drops then Nintendo should replace the 3DS and not before then. 

It's the same line of thinking as the Wii U would have been amazing had it come out in 2011, unfortunately it came out in 2012, when much better things were following on it's heels. A 2 year headstart could have made all the difference with PS4/XBO on the horizon.

I don't think a year would have made that much of a difference.  There wasn't many good third party games released in that extra year and third parties would have had to be included in the planning part to get late ports and that game and they wouldn't have been.  Sales wouldn't have been strong upfront and the ports would never come.  I think the difference is we may now be looking at a Wii U replacement as it would have had an extra year that it wouldn't have taken advantage of.  You don't go from having a poor console to having a great console just one year earlier.  I like the Wii U, but it's not much of a jump over PS3/Xbox and it wouldn't have caught much consumer interest if it had come out 1, 2, or 3 years earlier. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 02, 2014, 10:41:14 PM »
Who said anything about dropping the 3DS? I said movie it down into the budget hardware category. It's successor would fill the higher end market need that the Vita is currently hoping to fill.

and I disagree on the Wii U launching a year sooner. I think that extra year could have made all the difference. It would have launched on the tail end of the faded Wii glory days instead of a full year after the last handful of dirt was thrown on it's grave. It might have reignited a little hype instead of trying to resuscitate a dead horse. That extra year could have made a huge difference, especially if EA was on board and all other 3rd parties that seemed enthusiastic before launch flop.