Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World  (Read 68493 times)

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2008, 05:56:25 AM »
I wanted to pick this up but I watched some video gameplay of the English version and they're made of PHAIL!
Voice acting is terrible, TERRIBLE, compared to the JPN version.
I think I won't be buying it, this totally ruined it for me.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:49 AM »
"OH NO, IT IS LLOYD IRVING! RUN AWAY"  HAR HAR HAR HARHAR

And you expected otherwise?  Eternal Darkness-Nintendo-funded quality at minimum?  on a game with a one-year shorter development time, Namco's 2nd-rate dev team, and a smaller budget?  Come back to earth, sir/madam.  You really want this game in all its un-glory.

~~~~~

15 multiplayer hours clocked-in, 2nd play-thru.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »
Well, it's sir and I expected, at least, the option to choose between English and Japanese for the voice acting.
Or just Japanese with English subs. But I guess that's too much to ask.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2008, 02:32:57 AM »
This game truly celebrates the 10 year anniversary of the series.

Tales of Phantasia:

Tales of Awesome: Dawn of the Awesome World:

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2008, 10:59:02 AM »
Well Phantasia is set in the same world + 1000 years. This is why I joked back in one of my E3 parodies when Dawn of Fist was a mere rumour that Nintendo would announce an exclusive sequel to Symphonia; Phantasia on VC.

Your summary earlier was excellent Pro. Can't wait for it to GET A RELEASE DATE here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:06:52 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »
Well I made it to the 8th chapter. I like how the story has been told. I have a Puck up at level 80. Emil is up to 55.Marta is level 50.Great game.I will be back later.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »
THIS IS REAL, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

"Police said a man who waved a pair of Samurai swords..."
Lloyd has a pair of swords.
MAN = LLOYD IRVING

"on the grounds of a Hollywood Scientology building had a "previous relationship" to the church"
Hollwood Scientology building = CHURCH OF MARTEL

"Police said the tape showed the man appearing at about noon in a red convertible"
Lloyd Irving wears red.
= LLOYD IRVING

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
OMG, the game, its breaking down the dimensions. Why did you do that Lloyd?

Seriously I heard this on KFI this morning.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »
Alright who here has played Tales of Vesperia for the 360?  I'm considering buying either DotNW or Vesperia, and I can't decide.  I've played the old original Symphonia, is Vesperia basically the same thing? 

The real problem is that DotNW is $20 cheaper but Vesperia retains the same cel-shaded style as Symphonia and looks absolutely gorgeous doing it.  I'm not usually a graphics whore, but...wow, HD Tales looks NICE.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2008, 01:43:17 PM »
*crickets*

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
Hahaha I figured as much.  Basically every Tales game is the same anyway so I might just replay Symphonia *nods*
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

I had this MASSIVE post typed up to explain a bunch of ****, then I accidentally hit TAB and the browser went back a page.

Essentially, it was about how Vesperia was just a high budget port of Symphonia without Symphonia, such that it's a new Tales game that delivers new pseudo-anime art.  Namco threw money at it hoping that's all it needed to make HD anime gaming a success again in Japan.  Bill can explain, he bought it.

While on the other hand, Dawn of Fist is a Tales game about bringing NEW content to the series.  It didn't get teh moneyz, so it suffers in some places in the graphics department (and voice acting?) due to low budget and short dev time, but everthing is top notch within battles.

Dawn of Fist has some "firsts" for the series:

Motion Capture - a world of a difference compared to Symphonia's and Vesperia's statue characters.  It's not Metal Gear, but it's great in cutscenes AND battles.

Monsters - tangible collectibles that affect battle. they can be insanely strong and/or hilarious.  Effective in melee and magick.  Remember the Celsius boss battle, she had an ice wolf companion?  I ended up with my own, and he hit 9000HP when my girly was 3000HP.

Elemental Alignment - elemental skills used during battle can change the properties of Unison Attacks, changing supplementary elemental attacks/animation (like the ginormous Majora's Mask moon/meteor i have yet to reproduce), and healing/status bonuses.  Monster/skill choices have a heavy influene on the elemental meter.  Unison Attacks are not presets you assign; their nature changes with the battle.  Unison Attacks are separate from the longwinded cutscene style Mystic Artes.

Free Run - the biggest, best change in the series thus far.  Flank and break away from enemies at will.  No more crowded teammates getting in your way.  Best co-op combat in the series.  New Generation Gaming Fist.

Dawn of Fist is $20 cheaper than Vesperia.  Dawn of Fist is $15 cheaper than USED Vesperia.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2008, 07:12:55 AM »
Wow, NinGurl69 *huggles...way to overhype a game.  Dawn of the New World is a good game, but I'm in Chapter 3 (just completed the Iselia Ranch section) and I'm not seeing that it's headed towards "great game" territory.  Despite just recently evolving a kickass trio of Manticore; Salamander; and Fenrir monters, I'm just not sold on the monster system.  Yes, the things can grow absurdly powerful, but most look (and sound) incredibly lame/generic and all of them take a great amount of work to make good.  There's also a very real problem with having 2 monster characters alongside Emil and Marta: you get Game Over when all your human characters die and your monsters can't use items, setting up a very real situation where you get a Game Over even though you still have 2 fighters in the battle.  I've come very close to hitting that situation.  It's a fun idea (and certainly better done than in the GBA Lufia game, which was the last game I saw to use a similar similar), but it just isn't implemented very well.  I'm not thrilled with how you basically have to mess with the elemental affinity of the battlefield (which isn't even possible till after acquiring the first Centurion Core) just to get one halfway decent generic-looking unison attack now, either.  I would have prefered instead of this whole convoluted monster system that they would have just let you select one monster at the beginning of the game who would travel with you, level-up, evolve, and fill a 4th slot in your party.

Likewise with the Quest system: the Quests are generally fun (though hard) at first, but like I said I'm in Chapter 3 and I'm already seeing repeats of very generic dungeon crawling missions, and they don't get any more interesting the second time through.  They would have done better to have story-based sidequests tied into these Quests.

Then we get to the visuals.  Yes, the motion-capture does give some fantastic animation in the cutscenes, but the whole game looks substandard with this very bland color pallete and very soft edges.  In other words, it looks just as half-baked as Tales of the Abyss.  The voice-acting and music, though, are outstanding.  Most of the recasted Symphonia voices even sound good, and there's a lot more nuance in the acting now.  And after this game they can't go back to not voicing the skits, because it makes all the difference in the world.

My opinion of the game may change as I get further along, but basically if you loved Symphonia you'll like this game.  If you didn't or didn't play Symphonia, this really won't do anything for you.  Vesperia, though, looks amazing and from what I've read sports a very interesting main character...though not the most interesting supporting cast.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
broodwars just doesn't get it.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
Whatever.  Apparently, the fact that I don't worship this game and sees that it has flaws means that I don't "get it."  It's a decent Tales game, but nothing special.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »
My post would've been 3X longer had I not screwed up.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2008, 02:45:56 PM »
I agree with broodwars even though I haven't played the game. He needs support though so I'm giving it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
Then help him finish the remaining 27 chapters via co-op.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World * 480p / 60fps
Unison Attack: Ars Nova (spoiler)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #269 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
Mystic Arte: Radian Roar (spoiler)
Mystic Arte: Devil's Hellfire (spoiler)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »
So I was messing around with the game last week trying to find/learn/understand neat little things that might not be apparent in one's first play-thru.  Here's a quick rundown:

1.  Holding A+B skips major cutscenes (the ones that lack text bubbles).  Takes a few seconds to work.
2.  On the world map, hitting A skips the travel animation.
3.  On the world map, holding B speeds up the travel animation (run Marta, run!).
4.  There are 3 levels of Unison Attack bonus spells triggered by Monster companions, based on the elemental grid strength.  Monsters can trigger a Mid-strength spell, a High-strength spell, and a super-duper spell unique to Unison Attacks (as far as I can tell).  At least one element on the grid has to match a monster companion to trigger any bonus spell at all.
5.  Depending on who's in your party and what occurs in your Unison Attack, you might dish out enough damage to refill your Unison Attack gage.  Thus, you can cheese-spam the Unison Attack... a lot.
6.  Due to outrageously different attack patterns and status strength, using 3 strong Monster companions can be more effective in major boss fights than 3 retarded AI hero-has-beens who walk into their deaths.  If *you* die, not my problem  \( '.')/   Take responsibility for yourself.  One of my neopets is near-impervious to bosses' Mystic Artes, somehow.  Raising good monsters isn't a lot of work, fighting is.  Raising good monsters is about good decision making.
7.  The best gear early on are acquired through Synthesis, not Shopping.  Cat's Quests are good for the sake of collecting materials (and to a lesser extent, level grinding), not completing an endless list of quests (only certain quests have some long-term significance).
8.  Hard mode is fun.

If you have interesting tidbits that aren't spoiler-heavy, mention them.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:46 AM »
I DIDN'T READ ANYONE'S POST, SO MY SUPPORT IS DELVED OUT EVENLY. HA
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 09, 2008, 02:08:42 AM »
This game looks interesting, but I never played the first one. Would that be a problem?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2008, 02:33:30 AM »
High-level Unison Attacks (spoiler)